Author Topic: Tank destroyers  (Read 3598 times)

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
Re: Tank destroyers
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2008, 03:36:54 PM »
I think most were used for just that and not intended to kill tanks.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2008, 03:56:19 PM »
Not intending to steal the thread, but wouldn't self propelled artie be an idea?

Not so much "arty" as much as a self propelled cannon.  The StG III would be a good example of this.  IT could fire the German 75mm HE shell with very similar effects as our current US LVT4 w/ the 75mm cannon.  The Priest (or Saxton), and StG III are all good examples of direct fire self propelled cannons. 

The indirect fire can get a bit complicated, those who have worked with the Sdkf 251 and its rockets will know what I am talking about.

The thing about the TD that would bring a very different angle to this game is SPEED and firepower.  I'm not talking about the 35mph T34/xx, I'm talking of a M18 Hellcat going 50mph+ with a cannon equal to the Pzr.  Stop and think how often your tank gets knocked out via one shot.  It wouldnt be much different in a M18, cept for its ability to shoot-n-move better.  With the way the T34/xx turret is made of cheese... why not take the M18 and be able to evade and menouver that much better?
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline teufl

• Zinc Member
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2008, 11:45:12 PM »
M 18 is a definate shoe in but also the su series TDs by the ruskys.  The su85 outmodeled now we have the t34/85 but the su 122 or su100?  The jsu 152 was close support so....... Maybe the jsu 2, damn thats a fine gv or my god the jsu3  122 mm cannon 4 inched sloped on glacias plate.   A FARGIN KILLER! OOOOPs was talkin tanks again :confused:  Any russian gv would be good from bt 7(early) to kv 1.  JSU 1 JSU2 JSU3 all are killers over what we have now.  But the american pershing would be good also m5 stuart as recon.  Oh yeah 50mm puma armoured car that would be inetersting.
It's not vulching, It's FIELD SUPPRESSION