Author Topic: P-40E help  (Read 601 times)

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
P-40E help
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:03:38 PM »
Looking for help/tips/training for the P-40E. Any advice is appreciated greatly.  Thanks.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
Re: P-40E help
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 02:38:27 PM »
I personally use it to BnZ, but it doesnt hold E like the 51, so eventuallly, you will be low and slow turning it.  its a great turner, but dont put your guns to far out or you wont be able to lead your shots, i use 400 when i fly it, you dont need much ammo to knock out a plane, only about 5-10 hits at most, not much. You have plenty of ammo, and its good on gas. i usually do 75 and a DT or unless i know im going to be at a target for a while i use 100 and a drop tank.i dont usually bring the bomb, since its only one bomb, but it can kill a wirbel, or flak, or panzer, or M4 if you drop it on them, square. all the info i can think of off the top of my head at the moment, hope it helped some.
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 04:53:29 PM »
The P40 is one aircraft that is sub-par when slow speeds at the name of the game.  When at 250mph or faster, it seems to turn on a dime, but that is the only turn your going to get like that because you'll bleed energy quickly.  It rolls and dives very well, but climbs like a arm-less monkey and turns at slow speeds like an elephant.  It is a BnZ all the way.  If you have the alt on your target and can get your guns lined up... you'll get your prey.

Also, I too suggest 350-400 for convergence.  The 6x.50cal MG will chew most planes up in one quick 1-2 second burst.

When fighting other early way fighters, use the alt and BnZ and much as you can.  The A6M2, Hurricane Mk !, and Spitfire Mk I all will out turn you easily.  The Bf109E about the only fighter you can breathe easy on when in a turning fight against.  Dont know enough about the C202 to comment.

Practice with the P40E and with time... you'll sneak up and rip off a piece of pony tail when they're not expecting it.  I was able to snatch a kill vs a Me262 in my P40E at about 18k as he came out of a climb.  The perk points was well into the double digits.  :D
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 08:43:33 PM »
Looking for help/tips/training for the P-40E. Any advice is appreciated greatly.  Thanks.

1.  The plane turns very well against most other (non-Japanese) fighters.  Use flaps a lot.

2.  The plane does not climb well.  Practice nose-low turns instead of loops and the like.  Work on your lead turns.

3.  The plane has excellent armament.  I set my convergence to 300, but people who are really good shots set theirs a bit further out.

4.  Your most fun fights are against C.202s, 109Es and Ki-61s.  Stay away from all Japanese planes and Hurricanes.  Late-war fighters often will be suckered into turning with you, and you should be patient, follow them through the turns (you'll never catch them in straight or climbing flight), and use your long-range guns to shoot them.

5.  See if you can find 1Duke1 online and ask him for some personal training.

- oldman

Offline reeb

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:09:48 PM »
the p40 will turn like mad at low speeds, use your flaps and elevator trim helps huge. the best way to learn is to come in low and turn fight everything that will turn with you.the p40 is one of my favorite planes to fly due to everyone thinks it is an easy kill if its slow. And Throttle control! cant stress that enough with the p40
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:28:02 PM by reeb »

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 12:45:51 AM »
Use the das uber flappen.  :aok
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 01:16:50 AM »
Id say fight using angles like you would in a 109, i would never turnfight slow in a p40, id set guns for me at 400, and if your really in trouble dive away, the p40e is das uber diver.
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 06:56:54 AM »
Thank you guys for all of help.  It very appreciated.  I typically fly the 51 and decided  I needed an ''underdog'' ride. Thanks again!  <S>   
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 07:44:06 PM »
I find their 50s are way better that a P51s. 

The .50 cals are no better on a P-40 than they are on a P-51, P-38 or any other US plane armed with .50s.  It is all in the mind of the beholder, nothing more.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 07:46:34 PM »
P38J, Bf110, Lancs or any of the other "top dog" aircraft.   

LOL!  P-38J a top dog aircraft?  Only in the hands of someone that knows how to fly it, just like any other plane.  YMMV.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 08:43:27 PM »
top dog, as in the TOP DOGS fly it lmao
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V