Author Topic: Random equipment malfunction  (Read 650 times)

Offline stephen waldron

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Random equipment malfunction
« on: April 29, 2008, 03:53:52 PM »
     Also NOT present in the game.  Equipment on planes did malfunction.  Without damage from enemy fire.  The equipment simply failed to work, even though it was thuroughly checked before takeoff and sometimes even during flight.  When the equipment was employed, it simply chose that particular moment to MALFUNCTION.  However rare this occurance might be, (1% or 5%) of the time, i think it should be included in the game for the sake of realism.  Don't you ?  Although i suppose Video Game Players will disagree. 

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Random equipment malfunction
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 03:55:29 PM »
So did engines, guns and many other things. I think HTC has come out and said they will not model random malfunctions, I'm not sure though...

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 04:44:41 PM »
     Also NOT present in the game.  Equipment on planes did malfunction.  Without damage from enemy fire.  The equipment simply failed to work, even though it was thuroughly checked before takeoff and sometimes even during flight.  When the equipment was employed, it simply chose that particular moment to MALFUNCTION.  However rare this occurance might be, (1% or 5%) of the time, i think it should be included in the game for the sake of realism.  Don't you ?  Although i suppose Video Game Players will disagree. 

No, I don't. The game is a simulation of combat...not random equipment failure.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Lukanian-7

• Copper Member
      • Lukanian-7's MySpace
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 06:38:16 PM »
I've PLayed FSX Long Enough To Know This Is A BAD Idea.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 06:44:44 PM »
I personally prefer that the people I'm competing with be the major factors determining the outcome of a fight, not the weather or some random programming. As someone who has spent a little bit of time in the real world and enjoyed my share of electronic and mechanical failures, I have never once endured such an event and said, "Wow, that is just too cool- that's exactly how it happened in the war, too!" I want my games to be enjoyable diversions, not ponderous electronic recreations of poor designs, manufacturing errors, and sloppy maintenance.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 06:46:03 PM »
Just the reason I don't play the other games.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 06:50:07 PM »
I personally prefer that the people I'm competing with be the major factors determining the outcome of a fight, not the weather or some random programming. As someone who has spent a little bit of time in the real world and enjoyed my share of electronic and mechanical failures, I have never once endured such an event and said, "Wow, that is just too cool- that's exactly how it happened in the war, too!" I want my games to be enjoyable diversions, not ponderous electronic recreations of poor designs, manufacturing errors, and sloppy maintenance.
QFT
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 06:53:48 PM »
more whining squeakers :aok
Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers
zoozoo fighter ace issue one:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,240022.0.html

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 07:00:18 PM »
I think that is coming with Combat Tour. I read something like if you left the bombers at full throttle they would over head and would crap out.
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 07:06:21 PM »
Out of curiousity (the noobs looking to completely rework the game environment always make me a little skeptical), I looked at some of his other threads. Isn't this an interesting take on realism...

External views for fighters (with a few exceptions) would be totally realistic.  The idea a pilot in combat is only "aware" of what can be seen from his cockpit, is total nonsense.

And this further down...

You should have EXTERNAL VIEW.   Suddenly all the personalities and incompetancy of the VIDEO GAME culture are eliminated, And the game becomes more REALISTIC.

So, you should have external views because the other VIDEO GAME players are incompetent. However, while making unrealistic changes to offset their incompetance (although not maintaining your own Situational Awareness hints more at your own incompetancy than that of others, I digress), there should be more changes made in order to model this same incompetence in the mechanics and ordnance crews which aren't even modelled in the first place. What the heck?  :confused:

mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Rosscoe1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 07:43:20 PM »
I've PLayed FSX Long Enough To Know This Is A BAD Idea.

I'v proudly been playing since flight sim 2000 with random failures on. :) but hes right... bad idea for this game.
In game name: 613Rosco
613th SOS Pariah
Been on Aces High for 3 years now.
Disclaimer on posts: Most will be pointless disregard if you wish.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 07:47:43 PM »
Hubs

Thanks I was thinking the same thing from this guy, he also likes to drop in his "Video Game Players" jabs

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 07:49:52 PM »
more whining squeakers :aok

I'm sure you're to young to realize the irony of your post. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 07:52:18 PM »
I think that is coming with Combat Tour. I read something like if you left the bombers at full throttle they would over head and would crap out.

That has nothing to do with randomized damage or mechanical failures.  HiTech has stated numerous times he will not add a randomizer to the game and I seriously doubt we'll see one in Combat Tour.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song