Author Topic: "Dud" ordinance. Why not ?  (Read 658 times)

Offline stephen waldron

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
"Dud" ordinance. Why not ?
« on: April 29, 2008, 04:02:14 PM »
    Believe it or not.  In reality, ordinance did fail to fuse and explode.  It still does in some instances, even today.

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
Re: "Dud" ordinance. Why not ?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 04:13:49 PM »
Can't speak for everyone, but it's hard enough to drop a target as it is... heh.
 :noid
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 04:22:47 PM »
nah, too many whiners. "WHY DO I ALWAYS HAVE A DUD!"
Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers
zoozoo fighter ace issue one:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,240022.0.html

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 04:26:56 PM »
As bad as some people are they might as well be carrying duds.

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 04:30:07 PM »
As bad as some people are they might as well be carrying duds.

Geee, thanks bro.   :aok
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »
First, we'd have to determine the ratio of "duds" per 100 [insert weight here] bombs dropped.  That would have to be done for every type of bomb represented in AH.  Tough task.  I doubt there is solid data on such events.  Secondly, even if we had a legit ratio of "duds", would we have to increase the effective blast range of the bombs that were not duds in order to compensate???  

I'd rather have some type of engine failure or gun jam vs dud ordnance.  G'pa always said they lost more planes to pilot error and mechanical errors than to Jap fighters or ack-ack (pilot, B24, PTO, Sept'42-Nov'43. He did a lot of hours "up the slot"  :salute ). I think that would be easier to model than dud bombs.    

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 04:42:46 PM »
ehh, cant dive bomb anyways.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 04:56:07 PM »
Geee, thanks bro.   :aok

was up man, haven't seen you around for awhile. don't worry, after my first pass in buffs I'm just hitting grass and the poor GV in the wrong place.

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 05:15:23 PM »
    Believe it or not.  In reality, ordinance did fail to fuse and explode.  It still does in some instances, even today.
In reality, a bomb is fused fine because you (as the builder) puts the fuze in the fuze well.  Now, they did sometimes not arm, which in turn make them not detonate, but it all depends on the bomb and what aircraft it was dropped from and the situation from when it dropped.
For today's world of ordnance, those "instances" happen very rarely in todays world of dropping bombs.  I have built plenty of bombs and on a recent TDY to Alaska we dropped 30 live boms and they all hit the target and went detonated.  :rock
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 05:42:43 PM »
Sketch,
I am envious of your job!   :rock

Generally speaking,
        I would like to see more than a standard HE bomb before we start getting all of the bells and whistles. Also if you model duds I think you have to include premature detonation. Both were not as uncommon as anyone but the enemy would have liked. Bomb dispersion, failure to arm, failure to detonate, manufactoring flaws, weak explosives, and premature detonation can wait in my opinion. Give us perked ord!

Strip

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 06:08:29 PM »
Give us perked ord!

Strip

such as? dont say nuke, we all know it wont happen.
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline Rosscoe1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 07:49:51 PM »
Sketch,
I am envious of your job!   :rock

Generally speaking,
        I would like to see more than a standard HE bomb before we start getting all of the bells and whistles. Also if you model duds I think you have to include premature detonation. Both were not as uncommon as anyone but the enemy would have liked. Bomb dispersion, failure to arm, failure to detonate, manufactoring flaws, weak explosives, and premature detonation can wait in my opinion. Give us perked ord!

Strip

Little add on here.... lancaster dives in on cv... new cv ack ack hits bomb bay... all 14k of bombs explode instantly.... just a thought. To make myself clear... AA or AAA round hits bomb bay and blows up all the bombs on board. Again just a thought.  :noid
In game name: 613Rosco
613th SOS Pariah
Been on Aces High for 3 years now.
Disclaimer on posts: Most will be pointless disregard if you wish.

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 08:08:10 PM »
Little add on here.... lancaster dives in on cv... new cv ack ack hits bomb bay... all 14k of bombs explode instantly.... just a thought. To make myself clear... AA or AAA round hits bomb bay and blows up all the bombs on board. Again just a thought.  :noid
A flak round won't set off a bomb, nt trying to bust your bubble but it was brought up once before with a photo of a bomber blowing up and the caption said it was hit by a flak round.  Flak rounds are just that, flak.  The chance of a round from anything directly penatrating a bomb casing is slim to none.  Unless it is a thin walled bomb, not likely from a bullet round, and slimmer than anything from a flak round.
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 11:23:47 PM »
such as? dont say nuke, we all know it wont happen.

Parabombs, time delay fuzes, incendiaries, accurately modeled belted ammo, landmines, anti-shipping mines, smoke rockets/bombs for aircraft, improved torpedoes and I could go on....

If you get above 4,000 lbs, which HTC wont, you get the 12,000 lbs and 22,000 lbs RAF bombs even.

Some of this wouldnt be perked but some would need to be. Also you would have to change parts of the damage model. Over all tho it wouldn't be hard to do alot of this.

Strip

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 06:48:08 AM »
Although perhaps a bit more realistic; if everything were real we wouldn't have to put up with LancStukas. I have enough frustrations with this game without adding duds.

Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.