Author Topic: AAR Friday night Snapshot 7/27/01  (Read 414 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
AAR Friday night Snapshot 7/27/01
« on: July 28, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
We were just about 5 minutes from starting and my system locked up. Thanks Ghosth for taking over and getting things started till I came back.

I was a running fight for the Americans who played it smart and turned their fleets right around and headed NE away from Leyte Gulf. Then launching wave after wave of TBM's they assaulted the IJN Navy.

The IJN Navy had troubles at first and could not get ships headed toward the American fleet to use their superior firepower of the Cruisers at their disposal. It was over 30 minutes before their first ship was sunk, but the sea was littered with downed TBM pilots.

CV's 600 points each
Cruisers 400 points each
Destroyers 100 points each
PT boats and TBM's 10 points each

American
4 - Destroyers
3 - Cruisers
2 - CV's
17 - PT boats
TOTAL = 2970

IJN
2 - CV's
9 - PT boats
47 - TBM's
TOTAL = 1760

A significant Allied Victory. I should add that if not for the way points giving the long range cruisers of the IJN Navy trouble, the out come might have been quite different. I also thought the IJN sunk more ships and believe both fleets of the American task groups were sunk. I did see one vanish and respawn after it's 2nd CV was sunk.

Also about ½ way in to the Snapshot many players were dumped and the majority were the IJN. The numbers dropped to 5 IJN and 12 American. In about 10 minutes they were back to 18 vs 19 respectivly.

Hope you all had a good time though it was not our usual type of Snapshot  :)

----------------------
CM CO daddog
332nd Flying Mongrels
Snapshots & Check 6!
Noses in the wind since 1997.

Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives.
John Adams, 1808
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2001, 02:31:00 PM »
Yeah I had a great time... It was a nice diversion. Fleet battle - why not? The waypoint problem I was having really screwed things up for the IJN side though.

The enemy TG was was spotted east of our location. I felt our best chance for success was to get our ships right on top of them as it would probably be our guns (rather than the PT boats) that would do most of the damage. Unfortunately, after I pointed all the boats east towards the TG, I was unable to make any more course adjustments (sorry, waypoint touches land, it said... even though there was no land around). The nme TG made a course change and we were in a *great* position to cut them off by heading due North. We woulda been right on them. I couldn't make that course change, however. By the time I stopped tinkering with the waypoints and asked Ghosth to take over, it was too late. They simply stayed out of harm's way and sent in their TBMs, forcing us to go purely on the defensive.

I really should have given up and asked Ghosth to take over sooner. It was strange though (it's not like I haven't controlled CVs 100's of times)... and by tinkering too long with it, it really cost us I'm afraid.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2001, 08:14:00 AM »
First thing I thought of was the historical sequence that took place in this infamous battle, and corrected our course to give low exposure (not allowing the IJN fleet to "Cross the T"...and I ran like a little girl!

I ended up sinking 2 destroyers and was a happy camper!

Fun scenario, however I was under the impression that the IJN would have land based A/C and we would have the 'basic blue' A/C, I apologize to those I convinced to come over that more planes were available.