Author Topic: Getting ready to Fly  (Read 374 times)

Offline stephen waldron

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Getting ready to Fly
« on: June 02, 2008, 07:22:26 AM »
    Preparation is Everything.  Never fly when you are distracted or tired.  A good idea is to keep a clipboard handy next to the computer so you can jot down notes while you are flying.  You can review these insights and reminders before you begin the next flying session.  This went a long way toward helping me from making the same mistake over and over again.  
    For instance. I know i have to be at 13K to dive bomb an undamaged CV and stand any chance of surviving the flak.  Why ?  Because it's on the clip board.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Getting ready to Fly
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 07:24:14 AM »
dont fly on an empty stomach is my number one rule.

SA and concentration is much lower when your stomach is grumbling for food.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 07:33:12 AM »
I like to keep a digital camera next to me instead. That way I have photographic memory.

haha that was so chit.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 08:19:13 AM »
<--- never flies when wife is in the same room

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 09:27:29 AM »
<--- never flies when wife is in the same room

In the same vein, I try not to use VoX when my wife is in the room watching TV.  Wirbels have nothing on the Wifels!  :O

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 09:53:43 AM »
Ive dived into CVs from 6,000' to 20,000' and have had everything you can imagine happen from every initial altitude.

I almost always dive alone, which is always an adventure, because all the flak and gunners have you in their sights. And diving alone into a completely undamaged CV group is the ultimate adventure.

Sure you can release from up high but the odds of causing damage are low. The thing is probably turning and timing 2 bombs to hit perfectly from 10,000' is difficult. Its hard enough hitting a sharp CV driver from B-26 formations with 25 500lbs from 10,000', "Heres a hint, 75% of the time they turn the CV left".

So now if you want to hit the thing from a dive bomber you have to release from about 5,000'. By the time you pull up your probably 2,000' to 3,000' right in the CV group. This is why many a wiley Jabo driver will take out the cruiser first. Because you thus take out much of the CVs protection, as well as opening an egress lane for other Jabos to take out of the CV group.

I used to slaughter CVs wholesale with B-26s but got out of that game. I dont need the bomber perks and I felt I was ruining to much fun of others by killing the things all the time, especially when they are in transit.

By dive bombing a lone Jabo into a undamaged CV group? Its not often I can do it, while scoring hits, and emerge undamaged enough to continue fighting. So with me the first rule is to drop low enough to ensure hits. 2, Take out the CG first.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"