Author Topic: To FdSki and the folk from Hostile Skies  (Read 593 times)

Offline Salcor

• Zinc Member
To FdSki and the folk from Hostile Skies
« on: August 14, 2001, 10:15:00 AM »
Sorry I haven't posted in a while.  It was just after the campaign I was going out of my freaking mind with work and all.  I was wondering, did the forums for the campaign get totally deleted.  Was going to start writing some stuff for the hill when I get some free time.

Salcor

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2001, 02:30:00 PM »
1 question Salcor.

When ya wanna do it again?   :D

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2001, 03:00:00 PM »
I believe that they were indeed deleted  :(

Please call or e-mail ronni and ask. If anyone knows, she does.

If needed, i can probably reconstruct most of the info, i still have all the logfiles and scoring stuff.

I'm down in florida now, I'll be back next week.
If you don't have the info by then, let me know, i'll help best i can.

Offline Salcor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2001, 05:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  As to when it is going to happen again you are going to have to talk to the guys with the 34th Highland Raptors.  I am out in the world now.  Need to get things settled, and figure out what is wrong with my computer before I jump back on.  May do it to start learning some combat air manvuers for pilot training (although it will not be the same as actually flying).

Rojo

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2001, 12:42:00 PM »
I am in regular contact with Mystic and Preon, who are running the cadet wargaming club this year.  They are very interested in doing this again, though preferrably earlier in the year.  Bumping up against finals as HS did, it was a bit stressful for the cadets (as I'm sure Salcor can attest to).  Both Mystic and Preon want to focus more on AH this year, though the club will continue to engage in all manner of wargaming.

Offline Exile

• Gold Member
      • http://www.simladder.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2001, 01:14:00 PM »
Heya Salcor,

I'm curious ... was AH really of benefit in practicing or studying true ACM?

Offline Salcor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2001, 07:48:00 PM »
Actually for most of the cadets it was more of a leadership exercise.  We spend two semesters basically going over how an Air Operations Center runs and how to plan an air campaign.  Well Hostile Skies allowed us to actually do that with real people working for us.  If you will remember Sabre's post after frame three, that is basically how we usually set it up.  It was a great learning tool, but it was very stressfull. By the end of the campaign, I had personnally planned like 3 air campaigns, written aroung 250 to 300 pages worth of papers, was working with my engineering group to finish up our ENG410 project, and had to prepare for finals.  It was down right crazy, and this why a lot of the planning was kind of poor there towards the end.  As I said before, though I am avctually going to write up a talking paper for the academy and suggest using Aces High as a training tool for the MSS courses.  These are my suggestions and opinions, but I think the MSS classes at the academy are learned in a vacum.  What I mean by this is, for example, in the Senior MSS course we do a Battle staff exercise that is support to be at the Unified command level.  Well in my opinion I think they cut most of the training out when the remove the lower levels.  It works in the military because the people in the exercises usually know what to expect.  But to answer your questions, I think it is a good too to teach leadership and operational planning.  It can show you aerial combat manuevers, but at the time we planned most of the cadets (other the Preon and a few others) had not flown and decided that after they got gunned down in the first five minutes that it would be better to let the experience Flight leads take charge in combat and they would relay orders, and man defensive guns.  

Well that is my 2 cents hope it helped.  Mystic or Preon or Mjionrin can jump in here at any time.