Author Topic: Scenario Design Teams  (Read 683 times)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Scenario Design Teams
« on: February 14, 2000, 04:59:00 PM »
I have noticed that there is a growing interest in Aces High for "historic" events, such as Scenario's and to borrow a term from WB's, "Scenario Lites".

A good example of this is the growing efforts by the guys running the "Tours of Duty" one day events.

I was wondering however, how many of you know what it actually takes to run a multi frame Scenario with a couple of hundred registrants (usually more than that)? Or how many of you have actual experience in designing, or running these types of events? I can tell you that it takes alot more than most people realize.

It takes expertise in web design to get the word out and serve as a repository of information.

People with technical Knowledge in mail servers, newsgroups, scripting for signups, and actual computer resources of these types.

It takes design and historical types to actually write the scenarios, construct rules and scoring systems, and put together a balanced game package.

Then you need implementation people. Guys to act as CM and ACM's (which is bascially a "referee" for those new to scenario's) and to perform other "game day" activities, such as herding walkons.

And now, with AH, we will even need a team of people to construct custom terrains with the, hopeful soon to be released, Terrain Editor.

My point is that it takes alot of different skills and background to put on a successful Scenario. Not to mention hundreds, if not thousands, of man hours.

I don't know HiTech's and Pyro's ideas for the future of Scenario's in Aces High, so realize that this is entirely of my own making, and if this is not the track they want to go down, I will drop it immediately.

I am gonna blatantly steal an idea from AirWarrior, the Scenario Masters Guild, and throw it out here.

Basically the idea is to form a group of people from the community, with the skills needed to run a successful scenario. Then approach HTC with these ideas, and the ability to make them real.

So who would be interested in trying to put something like this together, and more importantly the experience, know how, and resources to get the job done?

Personally, I had been a member of the Scenario Masters Guild in AW for quite some time, until just recently.

Most of my experience has been in implementation, having served as Assistant CM for a couple of events, and also as CO and XO for teams in quite a few.

I have also help in the design phase, but mostly in the proofing of the writeup, obtainig proper force balancing, and look for problems (ie loopholes) with the rules.

My most recent experience was in the "Pearl Harbor" Event that was run in December and January just past, where I worked on both the design team and was the CO of one of the teams.

Thoughts, ideas, comments??

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Scenario Design Teams
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2000, 05:26:00 PM »
 I`ll volunteer my limited web design/graphics skills to the cause,don`t know how much help I can be since I`m a HTML beginner.

------------------
}]
 JG2 "Richthofen"

214CaveJ

Scenario Design Teams
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2000, 06:45:00 PM »
I'll toss me hat in the ring with ya Verm.

Offline buhdman

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow
Scenario Design Teams
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2000, 07:52:00 PM »
Vermillion,

Be sure to contact Sabre (aka rojo) of the Buccaneers.  I know we would support this.

His e-mail is rjern@primenet.com

buhdman, out

------------------
Walt (buhdman) Barrow
(formerly lt-buhd-lite)
The Buccaneers - "Return with Honor"
home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow

Offline Gator

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dragon-isle.net/kwilhite/keith.html
Scenario Design Teams
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2000, 09:59:00 PM »
I like this idea.  Especially the goal of "sharing the load" via teamwork so that we can do more with a cooperative effort.

> It takes expertise in web design to get the word out and serve as a repository of information.

While I hesitate to use the word "expertise", I do have some ability and experience in HTML and web site maintenance.  Would like to offer to help in this area, and can host pages (without pop-ups or banner ads) as well (assuming HTC doesn't desire to use their web server resources for "unofficial" events).  So, I believe I have the "the experience, know how, and resources to get the job done" with regard to scenario web pages, and offer them up.

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Scenario Design Teams
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2000, 10:59:00 PM »
Would love to pitch a hand in any way possible.  I could help hunt loop holes.  At work they call me the "Devil's Advocate" becuase I tend to pick apart any well put together plan and find the weak points for the fun of aggrevation  
Willing to do any leg work needed. I make a mean cup of coffee for those all nighters  

S!

Rocket

------------------
The Red Dragons
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Scenario Design Teams
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2000, 09:26:00 AM »
I can help out.  Web design and hosting, etc.  Possibly some in-arena organizational stuff as well.

------------------
Lephturn
The Flying Pigs
Visit Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH news, resources, and training data.
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Scenario Design Teams
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2000, 10:27:00 AM »
<Rip raises hand to volunteer for a mission he knows nothing about, but knows he can organize>

Help here if ya need it, did alot of 'organizational' things with my old squad in WB's, mainly squad nite stuff, but also inter-squad stuff too.

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~ XO
(Formerly VF-101 Grim Reapers~Rip1~Warbirds~)

"In training, upon being told it was time to
solo, the instructor said, “You tried to kill
me enough times, now try it with a check pilot.”"

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Scenario Design Teams
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2000, 11:13:00 AM »
Willing to learn!

I should add that I have a few years HTML, no Java, and have run BBS's as well (including UBB).

[This message has been edited by Kieren (edited 02-15-2000).]

Offline RAS

• Copper Member
      • http://flyingaces.bizland.com/54sq/main.htm
Scenario Design Teams
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2000, 10:28:00 AM »
Verm....you hit the nail on the head when you stated it takes alot of effort to put together a Historical Scenario that all can enjoy.  I only CO'd one AW scenario (Above the Reich..ATR),a scenario designed by the then budding SMG led by Necromancer to introduce the RR players to an FR scenario. Prior to this scenario it was more of a "who you know" type of then to even be consider for a scenario.  This was the first attempt to get new players involved in the thrill of a historical scenario.  I had never envisioned the amount of time I would spend trying to put together a winning plan and the amount of time spent just simply explaining to folks the basics of gameplay in scenarios.  Suffices to say that the scenario designers, web designers, and thier staff had thier hands full long before it even entered the stage I got intimately involved with.
  I am not a computer wizard, web pages are a mystery to me.....but any help I can donate in scenario design, rules deliniation, command staff, donut boy, etc, please let me know.

RAS

Rojo

Scenario Design Teams
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2000, 12:46:00 PM »
Vermillion:  I'd love to be a part of something like this. Buhdman is most kind to put forth my name in his post above. Operation Sledgehammer and Tour of Duty were my brainchildren -- though much credit is also due to the TOD pilots and my fellow Buccaneers, without whom I could not have done it.  And you're spot on regarding the effort these things take, especially the multi-frame events.  In general, I spend much more time doing administrative activities for TOD then in actually running the frames.

My particular skills are in the design of historical missions and scenarios.  I'm a wargame player/designer from way back, and understand somewhat the nuances of play-balance and organization. I'm afraid my internet skills are somewhat rudimentary (although Wabbit, the Buccaneers' engineering officer, is quite the expert; we might be able to recruit him).  I've also CM'd some; while not perfect, I've learned a great deal from running TOD. So, having now submitted my resume', I hearby toss my hat into the ring to be apart of the "Guild," if they'll have me   .

Sabre (a.k.a. Rojo)
TOD Minsister of War

[This message has been edited by Rojo (edited 02-18-2000).]

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Scenario Design Teams
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2000, 07:20:00 PM »
Check your email Gentlemen!

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Scenario Design Teams
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2000, 07:26:00 PM »
Vermillion-

In case you sent me an e-mail, I had to register under my work e-mail. My home e-mail is:

kieren@hpcisp.com

In the event you didn't, no problem!  

Thanks!