Author Topic: The top three issues most important to you in the upcoming Presidential election  (Read 705 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
What are the top three issues that concern you the most with respect to the upcoming Presidential election? With all this talk of "change" what are the things you would like to see changed?

Me?

1. I want to see Supreme Court judges appointed that judge cases on the meaning of the Constitution as written, "constructionist" justices.

2. It is WAY past time to simplify the income tax, either with a combo national sales tax/flat rate operation or with a combo user tax/flat rate system. The present system is idiotic and way too complicated. Time for major change.

3. Immigration reform, including making it easier for legal immigration of people with demonstrated skill sets we need and including much tougher action against illegals. This would primarily include a quick background check for SSAN and citizenship much like the NICS check for firearm purchases for people applying for a job and severe penalties against company officers that hire people who have not passed this check. Illegals, when caught would simply be deported immediately to their country of origin. First get rid of the jobs by holding employers responsible and the toss out any illegals that regular procedures find.

There's my starter list.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
1. Tort reform. There are too many frivolous lawsuits and we need to have a president willing to sign a bill that requires if you sue and lose, you pay all court and legal fees from all parties involved.
2. Flat tax. Nuff said.
3. Immigration. Close the borders, beef them up. Round up those here illegally and ship 'em back and get them off our welfare and SS system.
4.Privatization of Social Security.

Okay, you said 3, but I can't just limit it to 3. :)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
What you guys said and:

Require every TV channel to be available in Std and High Def or at least High Def  :aok
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Immigration, shutting down the borders and throwing illegals and those that employ them out on their ass.

Flat or simplified taxes

Stop calling gays a minority and treat it like it is a lifestyle choice. there should be no special treatment or benefits them.

Those would be my first three things done as president myself so I guess thats what I am hoping for.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
The top three issues
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 05:20:56 PM »
Issues?

Energy Policy:  We should have one.  One that has government actually encouraging energy independance thru nuclear, coal to liquid, renewables, oil shale, etc...
Balanced Budget
Secure Borders

Fondest wish? 99% of congressional incumbants running defeated

Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
1)  Secure the borders with more than bailing wire & duct tape + ALL illegals go home, PERIOD.  If they come back they have to work while in jail doing something that pays for their incarceration plus some...and they don't personally get a dime.  If they come back illegal again...sentance triples.  Also, the illegals are forced to pay for their own trips home.

2) Flat tax and the end of the IRS as we know it.

3) While continuing to train Iraqi & Afghan security forces, they need to seal up their borders as well. All the while we are slowly trickling our folks home as the locals handle it.  If they can't handle it, we come back in a heartbeat.  All the insurgent-monkeys sneaking in from Syria & Iran are the ones causing the problems anyways.  Since they are up to no good anyway, consider them enemy combatants and blow their pumpkins off once they sneak in.  They are willing to go on suicide missions anyway, so chamber that round & make it count.

I'd also get with Karzai and let him know for every poppy field we spot on surveilance cameras that they don't burn, we will and charge them for each one we have to destroy.  I think that US grain reserves would be more than happy to sell them corn, wheat, and other seeds for a legitimate crop they can take to market.  It's a matter of heroin money going to fund terrorism.

Oh...and FAR more stringent drivers licence testing in all 50 states that would have to measure up to a national standard.  How many lives are lost every year by idiots in a 2 ton vehicle that are either drunk, on the cell phone, reading a newspaper, or otherwise not paying jack for attention---and the rest of us pay higher car insurance rates because of it.  If you are the CAUSE of a serious car accident more than 3 times in any 7 year time frame you lose your license PERMANTLY.  Caught driving anyway?  10 Years MANDATORY.

This country is FAR too lenient with Darwin's Escapees.

ROX
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 05:26:24 PM by ROX »

Offline Impakt

• Copper Member
1. I want to see Supreme Court judges appointed that judge cases on the meaning of the Constitution as written, "constructionist" justices.

The term is "strict constructionist," not "constructionist." The categories you are (apparently) trying to use are simplistic and naive, and yet they are the common parlance of even journalistic and political discussions of jurisprudence. If you are interested in discussing judicial philosophy meaningfully, try Ronald Dworkin's Law's Empire as a starting point. The popular work The Nine will allow you to add a little nuance to distinguish say Scalia from Thomas. 

+ FAFL ALSACE 341 +

In game handle = Impaktt

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
Stop taking away my freedoms

Stop using my tax dollars to house and feed convicted murders and child molesters

Everything Rip said

:aok
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
I'm on board with all of you except Impackt.

I had to modify my post, and I apologize.

However, I would like to add a little "nuance" to my post...

Impakt may have consumed a little too much bologna.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 08:26:21 PM by Gunthr »
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline TheflyingElk

• Copper Member
1) GAS prices

2) Gas Prices

3) Gas Prices
You dragged the dead horse into the yard and handed out the bats, sir.

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
GAYS Deport all gays and drug addicts into camps.
GUNS Require all real Americans to carry a piece at all times.
GOD Waaa MoFo's don't believe in God?.... Bah throw 'em in the camps w/ the druggerts an' homos.

Heya howdy Toad, Rip, been a long time. Good to see y'all still here. I pop in every now an then... Gotta long story.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The term is "strict constructionist," not "constructionist."

You're quite the supercilious little prig, are you not? You may byte me at your leisure, sir.

Perhaps that's too harsh, as it would appear (unless you are just another shade) that you haven't been here long. I invite you to search the BBS for the word "constructionist" used in the O'Club by Toad. I think you will find the word "strict" accompanies it most times and it should be obvious that regular readers here know exactly what I meant.

Good day.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Heya howdy Toad, Rip, been a long time. Good to see y'all still here. I pop in every now an then... Gotta long story.

Indeed, 10. Long, long time no see. Good to see you back, even if your first post is a topwater lure. ;)

So start a thread and tell us the story! Where you been man?

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
1 Keep Clinton away from the whitehouse.
2 Keep Obamaman away from the whitehouse.
3 Keep the boys fighting the good fight against radical Islam.

(I thought impakt was going to stay away from the political threads...)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
I do have to add a caveat in regard to gays.  I've encountered gays that are so gay, that to me there is no doubt that this is how God made them. I'm sure there are some perverted hets that choose gay just for being kinky, but I don't think many do.  One thing is for sure tho, all gays suck...
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century