Author Topic: III./JG 26 109 K4  (Read 546 times)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
III./JG 26 109 K4
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:04:57 AM »
Flown by Uffz. Georg Genth.

On November 27, 1944, Genth nearly lost his life when the canopy of his Kurfurst, “White 8" iced over, leaving him only able to see directly ahead through the armored glass panel.  As number four in his formation, this was not good.  He managed to clear a small area of the left rear of the canopy by breathing on it, in time to see two P-47s closing!  “Being totally unable to defrost my canopy, I reported my condition, and dove in a split-S into the clouds a few hundred meters below.”  Once in the clouds he realized he hadn’t switched on the artificial horizon, which he immediately did though he knew he had no chance of aligning the gyro.  When he saw he was at 650 km/hr, he tried pulling back on the stick but his speed increased to over 700 km/hr, and he realized he was inverted. Pushing the stick forward, his speed dropped off and he left the cloud in a 60 degree inverted bank, 1,500 feet above forested hills below.  The control forces were so great he could only move the stick by slapping it as hard as he could.  “The amazing happened and the brave old 109 flipped over into a normal steep descent, which I could then pull out of with the help of the trim wheel.”  The engine panels had pulled off, and the oil lines had split from too much pressure; the canopy had unfrozen, however, and he was able to land at Rheine airfield a few kilometers away.  Genth wasn’t the only member of the flight with a canopy problem. “As I stood on the landing ground at Rheine, I heard three aircraft crash with overstraining engines all right around us!  To this day I have not been able to strike these ghastly noises from my memory.”

Reference: Merrick, K. (2007) Luftwaffe Camoflague and Markings 1933 - 1945

This aircraft crash-landed behind Allied lines and was abandoned after a short time in service.

Provided there are no further suggestions, this skin is finished.  :salute
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 11:07:07 AM by Xasthur »
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
Re: III./JG 26 109 K4
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »
congrats arch shes a beauty
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 02:07:42 PM »
Skin submitted.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline sidey

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 09:21:14 PM »
AHA so being full of hot air is a mandatory requirement as a luftwaffel pilot,, hehehe,, :lol

nice work Arch, :salute, now for that ki61 skin u promised me,,,, ;)
~~RAW PRAWNS~~

"No Thrills for the Cautious"