Author Topic: wtg Clint  (Read 948 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Re: wtg Clint
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 09:31:41 AM »
gunther.. was a nice enough place back then.... food was good but expensive but..  it was monterey... everything there is expensive.   It was pretty dark tho... the theme was dark wood and not much light.

lazs

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 03:27:12 PM »
here is something more on the argument.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2284542,00.html

Lee said: "Of all the movies that have been made of Iwo Jima, you never see a black face. This is the last straw. I feel like I've been denied, I've been insulted, I've been mistreated. But what can you do? We still have a strong underlying force in my country of rabid racism."

:cry

I think I will keep my mouth shut on this one...
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Jappa52- 36th FIGHTER SQ Flying Fiends

Offline TwentyFo

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 06:30:09 PM »
Lee's comments to abcnews.com were provoked by the equally blunt interview Eastwood gave to the Guardian last week. Riled by Lee's "whites-only" mauling of his films Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima, Eastwood accused him of historical ignorance before growling his advice to shut up.

He also mockingly implied that Lee's views exaggerated equal opportunities by quipping about his own next big film, The Human Factor, set in post-independence South Africa: "I'm not going to make Nelson Mandela a white guy."

Now Lee has repeated his charge that black US troops, who fought in a munitions company at Iwo Jima, had not been given a second of the four hours in Eastwood's two films.

Drawing on his two degrees from universities in Atlanta and New York, he added: "I'm not making this up. I know history. I'm a student of history. And I know the history of Hollywood and its omission of the one million African-American men and women who contributed to the second world war. Not everything was John Wayne, baby."

Lee accused Eastwood of ignoring other critics who picked up on the absence of black soldiers when Flags of Our Fathers premiered.

Thomas McPhatter, a US marines sergeant who crawled up the landing beach under a hail of Japanese fire, was one of hundreds of black servicemen involved in the attack.

He said: "Of all the movies that have been made of Iwo Jima, you never see a black face. This is the last straw. I feel like I've been denied, I've been insulted, I've been mistreated. But what can you do? We still have a strong underlying force in my country of rabid racism."

I believe Eastwood took Spike's comments a little to seriously. <S> to Spike Lee for simply making an observation about Eastwood's movies. I am no expert on film, but whatever you see in the film is there intentionally by the director. The question is: Why weren't any African Americans cast in these movies? It is a very valid question. I know Eastwood tries very hard to ensure that his films are historically accurate.
XO ***THE LYNCHMOB***

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 06:47:52 PM »
I believe Eastwood took Spike's comments a little to seriously. <S> to Spike Lee for simply making an observation about Eastwood's movies. I am no expert on film, but whatever you see in the film is there intentionally by the director. The question is: Why weren't any African Americans cast in these movies? It is a very valid question. I know Eastwood tries very hard to ensure that his films are historically accurate.
If you read the first article in this thread, it was answered. But people do tend to see and not see what they want.
See Rule #4

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 06:48:18 PM »
One Al Sharpton in the world is actually one too many. Spike Lee trying to be another one is even worse. Especially when Lee uses his own films' to stretch history into Black propaganda.

Offline TwentyFo

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 07:45:22 PM »
One Al Sharpton in the world is actually one too many. Spike Lee trying to be another one is even worse. Especially when Lee uses his own films' to stretch history into Black propaganda.

Please give examples of Lee "stretching history into Black propaganda".

What is up with so much Al Sharpton talk? Who really cares about Al Sharpton.

Lee is a very intelligent person. Many of his movies are well thought out and actually make you think about certain issues (I.E. Do the Right Thing and Bamboozled among others). Although I do not agree with some of his views, I respect what he has done as a film maker and an American. His films/documentaries have had a tramendous impact on people throughout the world.
XO ***THE LYNCHMOB***

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 07:51:26 PM »
Since the movie "Flags Of Our Fathers" was based on the book of the same name, and since I don't recall there being mentioned any black soldiers, sailors or airmen, I think Spike Lee's point is totally moot.  What's next?  How come none of the Fellowship from Lord Of The Rings wasn't black?
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 07:55:52 PM »
Since the movie "Flags Of Our Fathers" was based on the book of the same name, and since I don't recall there being mentioned any black soldiers, sailors or airmen, I think Spike Lee's point is totally moot.  What's next?  How come none of the Fellowship from Lord Of The Rings wasn't black?
Tolkien was kind to the vertically challenged though.  ;)
See Rule #4

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 08:28:38 PM »
Tolkien was kind to the vertically challenged though.  ;)

Well then, thank Eru for creating a PC fantasy author!  ;)
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 04:34:58 AM »
The question is: Why weren't any African Americans cast in these movies? It is a very valid question.

No. The question is, why would the question even be raised ?
Eastwood`s movie to put in and develop anyway he thinks will work the best.
If I were building a house I`d hire whoever to help get the job done that I wanted and thought would get the job done correctly.

African Americans? Are those people who have citizenship in both Africa and America and split their time equally between the two?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 04:46:45 AM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 09:34:46 AM »
yeah twenty fo..  he didn't even show the negro guy that raised the flag on iwo!    If there were a few on the beach then so what?   it wasn't really about the beach much.  I don't think any negros left the beach to participate in the fighting.

lazs

Offline TwentyFo

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 11:54:45 AM »
I don't think any negros left the beach to participate in the fighting.
lazs

Why didn't they leave the beach?
XO ***THE LYNCHMOB***

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 02:19:02 PM »
Most of the black units in WW2 were support... truck drivers, longshoremen, etc.  Notable exceptions like the Tuskegee Airmen existed, an some 900 black Marines were on the Iwo Kima beaches, many of which were ammunition carriers.

But Spike Lee lost the more important lesson in his PC world. The Battle of Iwo Jima cost the lives of 4554 Marines and 363 Sailors.  Their blood was red. 
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 05:27:34 PM »
. The question is: Why weren't any African Americans cast in these movies? It is a very valid question. I know Eastwood tries very hard to ensure that his films are historically accurate.

you answered your own question.  To insert black people would have been to distort history. 
It certainly wasn't a racial issue. As an example, Eastwood used a very excellent actor in "Unforgiven".  This actor is a wonderfully talented man, he happens to be black.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »
 Spike Jones is no icon of film .

Fixed
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty