Author Topic: First Kill.  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: First Kill.
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 04:21:23 PM »
Agreed, Bronk.

I'd say the FM-2 gets high marks for underratedness just on the benefit of the fact that most of the plane set can get away from her if they keep their speed up. But let her bleed you of E and you'll really quickly get clawed to death.

She's a sweet little ride. Not that fast, but very nimble and can really take a beating.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Newman

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 05:31:08 PM »
No argument as well on the FM2. I love a good turnfight!

Splitting hairs, but the ability to get fast, and slow is why I still stick with the YAK :aok

The 38G is good too, but takes some getting used to.

:salute

Newman
327th Steel Talons TFS CO (ret)
CM Scenario Team (ret)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 05:40:25 PM »
Stick with the 38 !!!   :D  OK Im a bit bias on that one.

I was MDJOE and flew with the 444th Air Mafia in the RR Pac arenas on AW, so I know where your coming from with the whole shaky plane thing.

Spit 16 is a good ride to get your wings back in shape. Its forgiving, turns great, and can do some energy fighting. Once you start getting the timing down (things are much quicker in Aces High, must start your turns sooner that you use to), then try out some other ride. 109 has a number of good version, but the torque will really mess you up when slow. The 38 does turn, the "G" very well. When flown right it can keep up with almost any plane.

Welcome to Aces High !

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 07:48:07 PM »
Welcome to Aces High Odbal - if you see me online, and you fancy a fight/chase me round the sky and shoot at me/whatever, gimme a shout. I'm not the greatest pilot, so you'll probably end up getting a bit bored, but you'll get your eye in shooting at me......

<S>

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 09:17:40 PM »
Try a niki.you get 900 cannon rounds, it turns well and it's great on fuel. Stall limiter off and use the auto trim.
Lighten up Francis

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 11:20:37 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have tried many of them, guess I better give the Niki a try now.... Stall limiter off=Me spinning to my death every single time, I'm starting to think it is a bad thing when your plane shakes and crap starts buzzing.  Slow learner that I am.

ODBAL
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 12:37:33 AM »
Leave the stall limiter off or you'll have to re-learn it after you do turn it off.  You can push the plane a lot further with it off and you might as well get used to the stall and snap roll limits now.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 01:49:26 AM »
odbal  if it starts shaking like a nutter with limited force on the elevator you need to look at your stick scaling. 

you should have enough scope to enter a slow turn then only be hitting it big when your stick is all the way back.

options ---> map controllers -->  selelct the elevator axis ---> check the advanced tick box.   hit enable scaling in the window that opens up and tweak it to something your happy with.  Also do the calibration so its not out of line.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 06:12:22 AM »
Try the HurriIIc.
I think it may be the dead-easiest plane to angles fight and kill with. Incredibly steady gun platform, utterly deadly, and can turn inside of 95% of the plane set. Only caveat is the 95% of the plane set can out-run it unless you have some alt to dive on them with or they have already been forced to start tnb'ing.

Offline FentFV

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 06:39:10 AM »
ODBAL, to get a good read on the various planes and their capabilities, check out Soda's site:

http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm

I'm still rather new, so when I feel like upping a new model of plane, I'll always have a look here and do a bit of reading to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of that particular plane.  By knowing/exploiting strengths and avoiding weaknesses, you stay alive longer.  As a result, you also know how to (at least try to) beat a certain plane.  You can then lure a plane into its "weakness" zone without doing the same.

My favorites are F6F Hellcats and P-38s, and (to a lesser extent) 109s and Spits.

Offline stephen waldron

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 09:07:43 AM »
    Does such a plane exist ?  Is there an all around "Best" ? That's the question.   What category are you talking about ?  Fighter ? Attack ? Carrier Based ? Bomber interceptor ?  A low end "Fall-Back" plane, (for when the MA excludes planes under a certain ENY value) ?  What's your primary prerequisite for "Best" of ?  Best firepower ?  Best armor protection ?  Best maneuverability ?   Aircraft that are the easiest to land ?  Some combination of all of these perhaps ?  Sorry if I just gave you a headache.  LOL. 
    The Spit seems like a natural choice for beginners, but the instant you move outside the basic fighter v.s fighter dogfight role..  The Spitfire loses some of its legendary luster.  In my opinion it's a lousy choice for a Bomber interceptor.  You might as well take out your service revolver and shoot yourself in the head before you engage bombers with a Spit.  I'm a bomber pilot, and most of my shootdowns are overwhelmingly Spits.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 09:13:54 AM »
Spits can do plenty well shooting down bombers.  Ample 20mm ammo with those lazer hizookas.

Most of your kills in bombers are spits because a lot of n00bs use the spit and a lot of n00bs attack bombers from the low 6.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 09:39:39 AM »
See Rule #5
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 04:06:34 PM by Skuzzy »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 09:55:05 AM »
See Rule #5

Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark. :rofl
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 04:06:53 PM by Skuzzy »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 10:02:08 AM »
Stephen Waldron...in answer to your question(s)...yes, there is an "all around" aircraft that fits the air-to-air and air-to-ground role, takes out Bombers (all types, including AR234s) very nicely, and fits into the CV role as well; it's the F4U Series of aircraft. In my few years of playing Aces High I have never been deprived via ENY of an F4U-1. However, I would not, and do not recommend this series of aircraft for Folks who are just beginning Aces High.

Many good suggestions have been made in this thread for new Folks just starting out in Aces High.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:10:19 AM by Patches1 »
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC