Author Topic: BREAKING: Supreme Court backs rights for Guantanamo detainees  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Re: BREAKING: Supreme Court backs rights for Guantanamo detainees
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2008, 12:38:38 PM »

war came to us babe......... 86 the semantics

LOL

Have you ever been in a court?....the whole show is ABOUT semantics.  I'd be interested in hearing what a judge might say if you said that to him/her.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 12:43:03 PM »
Right when you think Americans couldnt get stupider along comes this.

Not ALL of us Rich. Just the ones who claim to judge on a lawful, constitutional basis.

Astonishing ruling. Completely absurd.
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 12:45:32 PM »

Those who give up an essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty or security.
--Benjamin Franklin
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 12:58:21 PM »
We should just turn 'em all loose and forget about taking prisoners on the battlefield. Where's the honor in surrendering rather than give your life for Allah anyhow? If their daughters showed such contempt for honor they'd be dispatched in a heartbeat.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2008, 12:59:48 PM »
Those who give up an essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty or security.
--Benjamin Franklin

Not according to Ben himself.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2008, 02:56:31 PM »
LOL

Have you ever been in a court?....

Only when I have to be.  I prefer an aggressive approach in the discovery phase.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 03:00:42 PM by ZetaNine »

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2008, 03:53:58 PM »

Dude called me "babe". I'm a little concerned.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 04:06:42 PM »
These arent American citizens yaknow.

They aren't even members of a constituted military organization of a foreign Govt. Let alone one that signed the Geneva convention.

If I was running the show they would get one trial in front of a Military tribunal and if found guilty by 51% of the presented evidence then they'd be swinging in the gallows the following morning.

Go look at some beheading videos first if you planned on responding back like a fricking Lawyer.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 04:53:12 PM »
Dude called me "babe". I'm a little concerned.

maybe "Dude" is Dennis Miller.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »
Five Liberals on the SCOTUS who will vote for ObamaSama the Messiah in Novemeber are setting the ground work for him to win the peace by pardening the last of the Gitmo detainees as his first official miracle on the mountain. He will heal the middel east by bringing their lost children home to them.........Wonder what the reparations will cost us?

If McCain is elected they have placed a thorn in his side that the Liberals can twist anytime they need an issue and a first step in the campaign to ruin Bush's legacy.

Once the detainees are on domestic american soil being held for trial in a plush federal detention farm, they will become overnight rock stars with candel light vigels, freedom marches by the loony left and pro bono defence by the American Communists Legal Union who has as much money available to them for this as the federal government. Bet hollywood gives them a group script deal to help show the real truth behind Bush's war of terror on the innocent middel east.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 05:08:51 PM »
Here's an idea. Make those Supremes hear each and every case.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 05:31:07 PM »
--Benjamin Franklin

I don't see how that quote is applicable.  No one is giving up freedom for security.....unless you think the freedom to illegally fight US troops abroad. 

Unlawfull combantents do not get protections under the geneva conventions.  They are not foreign soldiers.  If anything, we are following the constitution by detainging them in that Geneva is a signed US treaty, of wich the federal govt is obliged to obey. 

LOAC comes from both customary international law and treaties. Customary international law, based on practice that nations have come to accept as legally required, establishes the traditional rules that govern the conduct of military operations in armed conflict. Article VI of the US Constitution states that treaty obligations of the United States are the “supreme law of the land,” and the US Supreme Court has held that international law, to include custom, are part of US law. This means that treaties and agreements the United States enters into enjoy equal status as laws passed by Congress and signed by the President. Therefore, all persons subject to US law must observe the United States’ LOAC obligations. In particular, military personnel must consider LOAC to plan and execute operations and must obey LOAC in combat. Those who violate LOAC may be held criminally liable for war crimes and court-martialed under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ).
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/wars/a/loac.htm

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:32:43 PM by Gunslinger »

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 05:34:15 PM »
I don't see how that quote is applicable.  No one is giving up freedom for security.....unless you think the freedom to illegally fight US troops abroad. 

Unlawfull combantents do not get protections under the geneva conventions.  They are not foreign soldiers.  If anything, we are following the constitution by detainging them in that Geneva is a signed US treaty, of wich the federal govt is obliged to obey. 

Combatants
The Geneva Conventions distinguish between lawful combatants, noncombatants, and unlawful combatants.

Lawful Combatants. A lawful combatant is an individual authorized by governmental authority or the LOAC to engage in hostilities. A lawful combatant may be a member of a regular armed force or an irregular force. In either case, the lawful combatant must be commanded by a person responsible for subordinates; have fixed distinctive emblems recognizable at a distance, such as uniforms; carry arms openly; and conduct his or her combat operations according to the LOAC. The LOAC applies to lawful combatants who engage in the hostilities of armed conflict and provides combatant immunity for their lawful warlike acts during conflict, except for LOAC violations.

Noncombatants. These individuals are not authorized by overnmental authority or the LOAC to engage in hostilities. In fact, they do not engage in hostilities. This category includes civilians accompanying the Armed Forces; combatants who are out of combat, such as POWs and the wounded, and certain military personnel who are members of the Armed Forces not authorized to engage in combatant activities, such as medical personnel and chaplains. Noncombatants may not be made the object of direct attack. They may, however, suffer injury or death incident to a direct attack on a military objective without such an attack violating the LOAC, if such attack is on a lawful target by lawful means.

Unlawful Combatants. Unlawful combatants are individuals who directly participate in hostilities without being authorized by governmental authority or under international law to do so. For example, bandits who rob and plunder and civilians who attack a downed airman are unlawful combatants. Unlawful combatants who engage in hostilities violate LOAC and become lawful targets. They may be killed or wounded and, if captured, may be tried as war criminals for their LOAC violations.

Undetermined Status. Should doubt exist as to whether an individual is a lawful combatant, noncombatant, or an unlawful combatant, such person shall be extended the protections of the Geneva Prisoner of War Convention until status is determined. The capturing nation must convene a competent tribunal to determine the detained person’s status.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 05:38:47 PM »
Well Court TV always need new material......

Maybe the networks can make their trials the next reality series...

As Toad stated, this is why the POTUS is important.
We have to live with these judges and their "supreme" decisions for a long, long time
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2008, 05:55:08 PM »
--Benjamin Franklin

Beer is proof that God exists and wants us to be happy.
--Benjamin Franklin

That Islamic extremists don't drink beer is proof that They neither believe in God, nor want happiness.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!