Author Topic: Am I the only one having difficulty actaully getting into the air?  (Read 960 times)

Offline Lt Wolfe

• Zinc Member
First off, I'm not exactly an expert in planes, so the "map controls" doesn't exactly help me.  I expected it to be fairly straight forward, WASD, or maybe the arrow keys for flight.  Something not too complex, and something that every single game uses.  You know.. the LOGICAL conclusion.

I get into it, and nope, it's not basic, it's not easy, it's not even logical.  The default controls are all over the place, and I still can't find the one that says "go up".  So I'm stuck on the ground, spinning in circles, because apparently, my plane (regardless of me not hitting anything other than "start engine" and "throttle up") likes to turn to the left.  I try to change the elevators, flaps, rudders, I even stomp on the breaks just to make sure they are working.  Yep, they work, but guess what?  Nothing responds!  No matter how hard I press the elevator buttons, they just don't show the elevators actually doing anything.  It seems like a fun game, but apparently I got the one copy of it that was bugged to hell.

So can anybody tell me just how to get off the ground?  This is giving me the biggest headache ever.  What kind of game is worth playing if you can't actually do anything besides spinning in circles on the grass?

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
Re: Am I the only one having difficulty actaully getting into the air?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 05:26:34 PM »
This is gonna hurt.

Someone will be along soon to help you out
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 05:28:34 PM by SPKmes »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »
First off, I'm not exactly an expert in planes, so the "map controls" doesn't exactly help me.  I expected it to be fairly straight forward, WASD, or maybe the arrow keys for flight.  Something not too complex, and something that every single game uses.  You know.. the LOGICAL conclusion.

This isn't just a game, it is a sim. And it works like flight sims usually work  with simple, logical joystik inputs. In a pinch you can use a mouse instad of the joystick, but it's not possible to only use keyboard. No simple "up" key, it's not that kind of game.

To set up your controls, see the Trainer Corps page: http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/  (look under "Game Setup" -> Setup Controllers)

No matter how hard I press the elevator buttons, they just don't show the elevators actually doing anything. 

Because there are no eleveator buttons... ;)

But just read about control basics on the webpage, and you will in the air quickly  :aok
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 05:33:17 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lt Wolfe

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 05:36:45 PM »
Ah, touché, Lushce.  I guess I did forget that it was a simulator, not a game, which would explain the complexity, as well as the need for a joystick, not just the keyboard.  Which makes me wonder why, then, are there settings for the elevator up and down functions if they don't work?

Offline sharquanpo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 05:41:20 PM »
follow and read the directions here first and spend some time reading  at the following locations too
http://www.hitechcreations.com/gs/index.html
and
http://www.netaces.org/

best bet is to use a joystick in this game not keyboard,  W A S D will do you no good here and very very few use mouse to fly. And even then be prepared to spend a couple weeks in the training area with a trainer and offline flying to get decent at the game ( look up ghosth is the TA most week days 430-500 est) and still read somemore

This is a flight simulation game not a 3-d shooter like battlefield 2 or counterstrike. This is a totaly diffrent genre of game (and older) and this is actully more logical and brain oreintated then you give credit for dont confuse logic for a dumbed down ease of use controls that most games have today.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 05:41:44 PM »
Ah, touché, Lushce.  I guess I did forget that it was a simulator, not a game, which would explain the complexity, as well as the need for a joystick, not just the keyboard.  Which makes me wonder why, then, are there settings for the elevator up and down functions if they don't work?

We have elevator trim keys, which do move the elevator trim tabs, not the elevator per se.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 05:47:16 PM »
Your plane is turning to the left because a giant metal fan is spinning up there wotj 1000+horse power turning it. And for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction...

Offline Lt Wolfe

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 05:54:40 PM »
Your plane is turning to the left because a giant metal fan is spinning up there wotj 1000+horse power turning it. And for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction...
Heh, I quite expected this comment come earlier.

But yes, it appears as if I have been outwitted by a mistaken identity, and unfortunately I don't have a joystick.  And while I read the guide on how to use your mouse, when I go to the "Map Controllers" part doesn't show the mouse as a selectable option.  In fact, it doesn't show anything.  So I guess that this is a failed attempt from the beginning.  I'm sorry to have bothered anybody, or worse yet, to come off as one of the FPS gamers that wants everything easy to use, and idiot-proof, but you will have to forgive my inexperience with simulators.  Obviously the lack of proper hardware doesn't help my situation.  Until I get a joystick, I think it would be best to refrain from playing Aces High.  Hopefully for not too long, though.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 06:11:28 PM »
Heh, I quite expected this comment come earlier.

But yes, it appears as if I have been outwitted by a mistaken identity, and unfortunately I don't have a joystick.  And while I read the guide on how to use your mouse, when I go to the "Map Controllers" part doesn't show the mouse as a selectable option.  In fact, it doesn't show anything. 

No mouse showing up there: ?

that would indeed be very odd and shouldn't happen...

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 09:01:52 PM »
Lt.Wolfe,

<<S>>, you say your planes spins in circles. That caught my eye because when I first started out I had the very same problem. I was into the 38s at the time, and everytime I'd try to take off, I spin in circles. The problem was that I had only one engine selected in a twin engine plane. If you're in one of the twin engine planes, press the E&Ctrl keys as this will select all engines to throttle up and down together. I hope this helps, for it drove me nuts for a week. :lol A trainer that goes by the name Murdr helped me with that. If not for him I'd probably still be driving in circles  :lol :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 09:14:14 PM »
don't let these guys get to ya. they're big teddie bears with no home training.Your questions are always welcome and some of us do have to take some shots at the new guy. :D But we've all been in your shoes.
True that a joystick is the way to go, but flying by mouse and keyboard is done by alot of guys.Don't give up. This game has a huge learning curve, but once you get the basics down you'll be hooked like the rest of us.
The trainers in the game are always willing to help you too, no matter what your skill level is. :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 12:24:27 AM »
Which makes me wonder why, then, are there settings for the elevator up and down functions if they don't work?
Those would be your "trim" buttons, which very slightly raises/lowers your elevators.

And for your spinning in circles problem... Use your rudder keys to counter your spinning and get back on course. A for rudder left, and D for rudder right. Don't apply full rudder to one side though, only enough to get back on the runway then go straight.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 12:28:09 AM by EskimoJoe »
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 02:23:33 PM »
Whilst your in the hanger, go to the options tab. Hit "flight", you should be able to select auto takeoff there. This will eliminate your spinning aimlessly on the ground. I think that where it is anyways. Someone will chime in. While manual takeoff can be entertaining, it's way over rated and you can get a beer while upping with it on.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 11:45:40 AM »

Given your "for every action , there is an equal and opposit reaction" it's a wonder that the plane moves forward at all.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 07:58:51 PM »

OK now thats funny   :rofl
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.