Author Topic: Frustrated  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Monza109

• Zinc Member
Frustrated
« on: June 16, 2008, 01:26:54 AM »
I've been on ACII now for over a year. I play the game nearly every day and really enjoy it.
I have two main problems that are making the game more and more frustrating for me. First, I cannot seem to get any microphone to work properly. I find the entire radio very complicated and confusing to use. I would like to be able to communicate but I need help. I would like to be able to talk and listen to the game on my speakers at the same time. Is this possible? Second, I seem to always be "own my own" and not clear on what everybody else is doing. I've pretty much given up on flying since I always get shot down so I've focused mostly on ground vehicles. I like tanks but again, I'm always on my own cruising around looking for enemy tanks. The map shows lots of bases that appear to have nothing going on. Should I always click on the bases that are opposites to each other?
Can someone please help me?

I'm in Anaheim, CA

Thanks,
Jeff
Monza109

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
Re: Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 05:05:18 AM »
I cannot seem to get any microphone to work properly. I find the entire radio very complicated and confusing to use. I would like to be able to communicate but I need help. I would like to be able to talk and listen to the game on my speakers at the same time. Is this possible?

What operating system do you have?
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 05:33:34 AM »
You can use your speakers with a separate, stand-alone mic, or just slide the headphones off your ears while using the built-in mic on a headset-mic combination.

Have you read through the trainer information on the radio? If not, the link is Here. Basically, if you can record something using the mic in the program "Windows Recorder," it should work in the game.

Please read the information on the site about the clipboard and "The Radar Map." That will explain everything about how to find where the action is on the map.

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 09:41:29 AM »
Monza, On windows, click <start>, go to <accessories>, then <entertainment>, then <sound recorder>.  Set up your mic there with a test recording and it should work within the game.
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline Black Jack

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:45:35 AM »
Monza, I've been playing a bit over a year too and really enjoy this game as well. To get an idea of what is going on in the game try to stick to one side for a while and you will start to recognize familiar names. Ask them if you can help them in some ways. Look in the roster and find a squad that has a few players playing together. Ask them if you can tag along with them and most of them will say yes. This is a good way to make good friends and from them you will have a greater understanding of the game and how it works out. Flying with a few guys that have been playing for a bit you will learn a great deal of info on how not to be shot down so easily.  If you stick with the same guys and ask questions you will probably be part of that squad or another one pretty soon. Good luck   :salute

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 11:42:46 AM »
join a squad Monza. not a squeaker summer squad but one that's been around awhile.you'll learn more in 2 months with the right squad, then in a year by yourself.
Lighten up Francis

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 11:44:13 AM »
P.S. what side you fly on, and what times are you on?
Lighten up Francis

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 07:24:06 PM »
Here's how i did it as i can not stand wearing ear phones. Plug your speakers in as normal, then if you have a 2 prong connector headset, only plug in the prong for the microphone. Takes a little getting used to but i've been doing it that way for 6 years. I just hang the headset around my neck, point microphone up towards mouth and i'm all set. :aok

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 09:01:04 PM »
Joining a squad I think will be the answer to most of your problems. (Excluding the radio)

I would suggest an active AvA (Axis vs Allies) squad. Particularly one that is active in the FSO (Friday Night Squad Ops).

In the AvA and the FSO, you won't have to worry about not knowing where to go to find the enemy, or flying alone. When you go up you'll go up with wing en, you'll go up with an objective, you'll go up, with enemy pilots dedicated to stopping you from completing your objective.

It's good fun.

It's not counterstrike in airplanes the way the main arena is.
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 09:52:46 PM »
When you log on, ask where the GV action is in the arena you are located in.  Many times someone will answer that they could use base defense help or where a GV assault is taking place. 

Many maps have a center island that is home to many GV battles and base capture battles that go back and forth for days at a time.  Try there.

Before you join a squad, make sure it is a good fit for you.  See if they will let you fight with them to make sure that you share their mindset. 

Black jack had a great point as well.  When you hang around and pay attention to the names, you will learn which names are associated with GV battles.  You can then find them in the roster and use the goto command to find the base they are fighting out of.  Getting to the battle from there is easy- just listen to vox (if you get it working well) and asking questions. 

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline Monza109

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 11:51:35 PM »
Thanks for the tips on radio useage. Am I not supposed to see my name at the upper right screen when I transmit?
I have always flown on the Bishops side and somehow I've been included with the 332nd Black Demon group. Is this my squad?. I'm in California, USA so usually on in the early evening or Monday mornings.

Thanks,
 Jeff

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 01:22:28 AM »
Thanks for the tips on radio useage. Am I not supposed to see my name at the upper right screen when I transmit?
I have always flown on the Bishops side and somehow I've been included with the 332nd Black Demon group. Is this my squad?. I'm in California, USA so usually on in the early evening or Monday mornings.

Thanks,
 Jeff

Sounds like you need to find a squad that is willing/able to train you.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 04:34:32 AM »
Here's how i did it as i can not stand wearing ear phones. Plug your speakers in as normal, then if you have a 2 prong connector headset, only plug in the prong for the microphone. Takes a little getting used to but i've been doing it that way for 6 years. I just hang the headset around my neck, point microphone up towards mouth and i'm all set. :aok

This is exactly how I do it. I bought a cheap head set that has only one speaker.  I put the part that goes around your head around my neck and use just the mike.   The only thing I do differently is when GVing I usually use another more high end head set (over the ears) because it seems I can hear other GVs better.  Then again I am an old fart and my hearing is slowing going south.
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 10:23:35 AM »
I've been on ACII now for over a year. I play the game nearly every day and really enjoy it.
 I seem to always be "own my own" and not clear on what everybody else is doing. Can someone please help me?

I'm in Anaheim, CA

Thanks,
Jeff
Monza109

Join a squad and most of your problems are solved at a stroke. PM me if you are interested in Precision or look on the forumn at who else is recruiting. Squads give a huge amount of help as long as you dont expect constant training. Certainly you should find yourself learning a couple of new things a day that will improve your game and a squad will teach you to fly and get kills.

DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 12:59:14 PM »
I would like to be able to talk and listen to the game on my speakers at the same time. Is this possible?
Thanks,
Jeff
Monza109
I had trouble in another online game where talking on the mic I'd be transmitting engine sounds. People complained they couldn't hear me over the engines. I solved the problem by going out and buying a cheap sound card to replace the onboard sound sytem (RealTek), no problems after that.
George "Alky®" Fisher