Author Topic: Will Israel attack Iran?  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: Will Israel attack Iran?
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2008, 12:16:24 PM »
If it can be done, the IAF already knows how to go about doing it, or at least they have a good idea. Before the Osirak strike no one would have imagined that IAF fighters could fly so far undetected and destroy their target and even more amazing, return to base with no losses. Before the latest strike against Syria no one would have imagined an air strike could be undertaken against the latest Russian air defense systems with impunity.

I do agree that there are difficulties in undertaking a task of this magnitude, yet if anyone can over come these difficulties it would be Israel and the IAF. They have shown time and time again that they are perfectly capable of doing the difficult and nearly impossible tasks. I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I would never bet against Israel and her defense forces.

Oh it can be done. Im not saying it cant.

Except the countries they will have to overfly have made great improvements in their air defenses since Osirak. Countries like Saudi, the Gulf States, Turkey, Jordan, Iran, and soon Iraq, now deploy some top notch stuff from America, Europe, and Russia. Irans Tor M1 system is itself a formidable point defense system and it doesnt have to be networked to perform well.

The game has changed since Osirak and the Iranians themselves have learned the lessons from earlier IAF OPs.

So I guess that Israeli Air Exercise shut down any arguments over whether they can reach out and touch Iran

That was a Political stunt. Everyone knows the actual attack would be far different then some practice maneuver ran over the Med. You guys all play this game. Try taking off and flying straight to point B at 10,000' and check and see how much fuel you burned. Next take off and fly over hilly and mountainous terrain while NOE, hugging the earth and flying to waypoints instead of a straight line. All the while at full throttle in the dense ground air. Now after doing all that look at your fuel burn.

Osirak and the Syrian facility were pieces of cake in comparison.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2008, 12:28:03 PM »
Those are good points, Elfie. The IAF does have the experience in such things. However, before Osirak (and Syria, too) They didn't have the major practice exercise spread around the press, either. As a matter of fact, both operations' had very good security, being as both were complete suprises. I'm sure the Iranian intelligence agencies' have seen the press reports, and are taking action. The previous strikes on Osirak and Syria had the element of suprise; I'm afraid that an Iranian strike at this time has lost it. They never should have let the rehearsal make it to the press.

The Osirak and Syrian strikes certainly were huge surprises to pretty much everyone except the Israelis. Complete surprise has been lost, yet day/time of any potential strike is still unknown and could still come as a surprise to the Iranians. (Assuming of course that a strike does happen.) If the Israelis are planning a strike then it obviously would have been best if this exercise had not become known to the press. Otoh, the exercise could have just been saber rattling by the Israelis. Except....the Israelis aren't really known for saber rattling.  :D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2008, 06:27:23 PM »
Will Israel attack Iran?

Hope so.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2008, 06:58:23 PM »
Using Nuclear weapons' is not such a casual thing, Angelsandair. It would have to be a weapon of last resort, As in...T-72's on the outskirts of Tel Aviv. And then, do the Isreali's use them on their home territory? That would be a kind of "scorched earth" defence. They could Use them on an enemy nation's city's if their own were threatened, but That will provoke retaliation in Kind.

If Isreal bombs Iran, they could call upon all Muslims to fight a "holy war" Which could bring in the whole middle east against Isreal  :O
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2008, 07:02:27 PM »
Why prolong the envitable?

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2008, 07:12:17 PM »
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2008, 07:24:42 PM »
If Isreal bombs Iran, they could call upon all Muslims to fight a "holy war" Which could bring in the whole middle east against Isreal  :O

last time that happened...israel kicked their ***** in seven days....

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »
6 Days.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2008, 07:26:33 PM »
6 Days.

God rested on the seventh day.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2008, 09:15:53 PM »
God rested on the seventh day.

Nice cover for your lack of history.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2008, 10:06:51 PM »
Islamic facism..Get used to it..It will be around yer whole lifetime.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2008, 08:09:44 AM »
Nice cover for your lack of history.

bless you my son.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2008, 01:20:58 PM »
last time that happened...israel kicked their ***** in seven days....

And they were considering their nuclear option at one point during Yom-Kippur. War's a funny thing; However you think you are gonna do at the outset, it's hard to make happen at the end, sometimes. Of the Japanese, only Yamamoto actually had a real idea, and he just about called the ball right when he said that Japan would run the Pacific for maybe 6 months' to a year. After that, he warned that it would be an uphill struggle.

Isreal's difference in situation is that alot of what happens' to them, depends on us. We are still their major source of arms, even though they themselves have developed an indiginous arms industry. We still supply much of their munitions. If in our coming election, whoever is elected (Let's say Obama, for instance) decides to cut foreign/military aid to Isreal, what does that hold for them? Especially if a Chinese supplied Arab nation tries to wage a more protracted conflict? Bombing Iranian enrichment centers might be the thing that starts' just such a fight. Maybe that's why the press leak about the exercise...a hope that they can use that to bring the Iranians' to the table and agree to stop weaponizing, without courting a war which might not have American support.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2008, 01:23:38 PM »
And they were considering their nuclear option at one point during Yom-Kippur. War's a funny thing; However you think you are gonna do at the outset, it's hard to make happen at the end, sometimes. Of the Japanese, only Yamamoto actually had a real idea, and he just about called the ball right when he said that Japan would run the Pacific for maybe 6 months' to a year. After that, he warned that it would be an uphill struggle.

Isreal's difference in situation is that alot of what happens' to them, depends on us. We are still their major source of arms, even though they themselves have developed an indiginous arms industry. We still supply much of their munitions. If in our coming election, whoever is elected (Let's say Obama, for instance) decides to cut foreign/military aid to Isreal, what does that hold for them? Especially if a Chinese supplied Arab nation tries to wage a more protracted conflict? Bombing Iranian enrichment centers might be the thing that starts' just such a fight. Maybe that's why the press leak about the exercise...a hope that they can use that to bring the Iranians' to the table and agree to stop weaponizing, without courting a war which might not have American support.

for the record..........I dig your posts and takes on things.  well thought out and wonderfully written. you should post more.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2008, 01:29:38 PM »
for the record..........I dig your posts and takes on things.  well thought out and wonderfully written. you should post more.

Ty. After a while, jumping the fence to look at something from both sides can tire you out. Really, one a topic comes up on here, It takes a while to post, mainly because of the sit-back-and-think factor.

EDIT: Especially on any topic concerning Middle-eastern politics and diplomacy. Its' been a Train-Wreck over there since the time of  Col.T.E. Lawrence.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:34:47 PM by FrodeMk3 »