Author Topic: why i dont get too excited about...  (Read 1153 times)

lazs

why i dont get too excited about...
« on: April 04, 2001, 02:11:00 PM »
Who the "top" pilots are by stats.... I was lookin at the La7 top pilots and one of em I am very familiar with... I know for a fact that drex asked said pilot how he liked the la7... said pilot said "fast don't turn use three cannon option.".  drex jumped in the la7 and had a 5 kill sortie first time out... drex is not listed as a top la7 stick.  He would mop up the floor with the aforementioned mediocre  pilot without breaking a sweat.

But then.... drex does not exist.  he is a boogey man the BK's use to frighten small children.
lazs

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2001, 02:29:00 PM »
I would agree....ya wanna become a top pilot, spend all ur time hangin' out over fields we've established cap over and vulch like mad.  It's not that they're the best sticks, they're just timid.  Put simply, IMO they fly for score.    

CRASH

Originally posted by lazs:
Who the "top" pilots are by stats.... I was lookin at the La7 top pilots and one of em I am very familiar with... I know for a fact that drex asked said pilot how he liked the la7... said pilot said "fast don't turn use three cannon option.".  drex jumped in the la7 and had a 5 kill sortie first time out... drex is not listed as a top la7 stick.  He would mop up the floor with the aforementioned mediocre  pilot without breaking a sweat.

But then.... drex does not exist.  he is a boogey man the BK's use to frighten small children.
lazs

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2001, 02:36:00 PM »
Petty.. both of you.

The stats are called the "Top 10 killers by fighter" because they are based simply on the number of kills someone has in that fighter.  You'll not see a list called "Top 10 Best pilots" unless you want to generate it yourself.

As for generalizing on the flight habits of the people in the lists... at a casual glance I'd say that virtually every type of flyer is represented.  Its VERY petty to stereotype based on those lists.

AKDejaVu

Offline mx22

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2001, 02:39:00 PM »

Originally posted by CRASH:
Put simply, IMO they fly for score.

How's that Crash? If I'll fly one plane type during the whole tour, or log enourmous amount of time in AH, I'll end up on a top 10 list. It would be achieved by a cheer numbers and time I put, not by vulching.

mx22

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2001, 02:42:00 PM »
Im one one of the Top10 lists and I dont vulch, tho I only have bout 120kills in my plane.

Maybe some of the fellas who do 400-500plus but certainly not all of us.

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2001, 02:42:00 PM »
The RAM meter is off the scale... get the hell outta here it's about to explode!!!!!
-SW

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2001, 02:51:00 PM »
You gotta look at Deja's lists for what they are, and not read into them things which they are not trying to represent.

He's not implying any sort of value to the the people on those lists. He's merely saying "here's who killed the most in this type of plane"... That's all. It's an interesting stat, a thin slice of a bigger picture. And Deja himself has repeatedly warned not to attempt to paint too big a picture with those lists.

So to get back to your main point Lazs, yeah, Drex could probably easily mop the floor in *any* aircraft he chose to fly. The list only represents what the kills stats are for the plane he actually happened to choose.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2001, 02:54:00 PM »
LOL! Only a complete novice believes you just log on, waltz over to a field, and start clocking up vulch-kills.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2001, 02:55:00 PM »
Laz, ya really need to 'get a room'...whacha going do when Drex comes and visits the Knits again, you coming with him too?  

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2001, 02:57:00 PM »
hehehe, nice!  I'm in the top ten for the P51B in that list...here are my stats:

P51B - Kills: 35   Deaths: 37

I must be the worst vulch in the world!  It's a brute force list that doesn't factor in anything but kills...it's all stats, and it's nice to see (thx deja).

And as for the top tens that actually require some skill to achieve, labeling everyone who makes them like you have just makes you look, well...jealous Crash.  While there may be some like you describe, there are others that are just damned good sticks.  And I hate them.  

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2001, 03:18:00 PM »
I'm in the La5 list and I fly for score? Sheesh, news to me. I'm so bad, no one even knows who I am, lol.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2001, 04:30:00 PM »
I'm in the Spitfire MkV list and I have to say, I do not hover over fields vulching.  A few of those kills may have been vulches, but if I was participating in the capture of a base and some defender decides to take off from a capped base, do you really expect me to just let him go?

The vast majority of my kills were gained in air-to-air combat, frequently from a disadvatageous position.

You guys really need to get off of your high horses.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Spitfire F.MkXIVc to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2001, 06:26:00 PM »
STATS LIE ,, I have finished 3 camps in the top 100 , I would be lieing to myself if I thought I was that good . maybe in top 500  

[This message has been edited by paintmaw (edited 04-04-2001).]

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2001, 06:31:00 PM »
HOLY CRAP BATMAN !! #2 in a spit9  ??? something is very wrong ,,LOL

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2001, 06:39:00 PM »

Originally posted by paintmaw: