Author Topic: How to be a score HO  (Read 1081 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
How to be a score HO
« on: June 24, 2008, 03:18:17 PM »
I keep reading that being a score HO is boring, stressfull, makes you run like a schoolgirl, etc., etc., etc.  I am here to dispell the myths.

First, the highest ranked person is the one with the lowest total fighter, bomber, attack and vehicle rank when added together.  Usually, you can be low (high number rank) in one catagory if you can be high (low number rank) in the others so concentrate your efforts where you are lowest ranked and your overall rank will improve.

The main tricks are to get a few field captures in both goons and M3's, rocket some objects with a PT boat or an Sk thingy, and mix in a little toolshedding with some kills while in GV or attack mode.  Of course you need to be able to get some kills in fighter mode too and do a little bombing.

None of these are stressful activities and if done at the right times can be fun and also aid your country.

Other than that, you don't have to change your game.  You just need to play every aspect of the game and be reasonably proficient at it.  You don't have to run from a fight.  If you do then you need to learn how to fight.  Improve on it and your rank will improve. 

Pretty simple huh?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: How to be a score HO
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 03:26:13 PM »
I believe Rod367th has posted more in depth on how to achieve this.

I have more integrity than the "game the game".   I see someone with a Fighter Rank of say 4 and they have 10 sorties, I tend to laugh.    I know who the "Better sticks are" and that is who I look for in fights.   Rank ain't watermelon to me and it never will mean a thing. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 03:39:14 PM »
So I guess your rank is pretty high again now Eagle?

We know when your rank is lower cause then you post a , "I dont care about rank and only play to have fun", kind of post.

You are a trip brother. :rofl Really, guys like you make the game fun.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 03:43:49 PM »
I'm all for keeping stats on how many kills and how many deaths/sortie etc.  However, this rank crap has to go.  The game died a little once that stuff was posted on the front page.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 04:01:33 PM »
So I guess your rank is pretty high again now Eagle?

We know when your rank is lower cause then you post a , "I dont care about rank and only play to have fun", kind of post.

You are a trip brother. :rofl Really, guys like you make the game fun.

I play for both rank and fun.  The point being, they don't have to be mutually exclusive.  I still get killed a lot doing stupid stuff but I actually realize it's part of the game.  You can see it in my ever dismal fighter ranking.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 05:08:12 PM »
Don't forget that they also hot pad as often as possible.

Turns 5 so-so sorties into that ratio bending 14 kills landed name-in-lights.

ROX

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 05:26:05 PM »
Don't forget that they also hot pad as often as possible.

Turns 5 so-so sorties into that ratio bending 14 kills landed name-in-lights.

That method will bring down a players kill per time stat because of transit time.   :devil and I don't see the need to hotpad to land 14 kills anyway  ;)

Offline AAolds

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 05:34:24 PM »
It can be fun to do some of the kind of sorties required to make rank, but when it turns into something like a job........ that is where I part ways.  I came here to have fun, fly and tank with my buds and just blow schtuff up!  All rank is good for ive noticed is finding your name on the roster and CV control.  If rank had more in game impact, id put more stock in it.
The AArch AAngelz is its own country, we owe loyalty only unto ourselves and those we fly with at the moment.---AAolds AArch AAngelz XO.

I love to GV and do Jabo missions vs GVs, get used to it.  Being good at one helps in the other.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 08:58:30 PM »
Other than that, you don't have to change your game.  You just need to play every aspect of the game and be reasonably proficient at it. 

Pretty simple huh?

Pretty gamey is how I class it, if to do well with score you don't need to "change your game" then why is it so many of the top scorers rank a fraction of their overall sorties in perk or top tier rides for a low fighter score and the other 700 sorties in attack? Yet they still claim to be fighter pilots? Surely that stat makes them Jabo pilots, yet they hardly ever carry ordnance? To me that is changing your game.

Masherbrum is exactly right, when ever I see anyones stats and they only record a fraction of their sorties as fighters for a low rank I disregard them completely.

As for contributing to your country I disagree, your more focused on padding your own score then any other aspect of the game. The only exception I've ever seen to this is Lynx and his CV command.

Seems to me there are two different camps, those that never got over Quake and treat AH the same way. And those that are simmers, interested in the historical aspect more then own score.

Sooner AH dumps the scorers list from the front page of this website the better overall for everyone imho.

Finally Eagl, I'm amazed that someone that's been around as long as you still plays for score. Usually it's a newbie fascination at most for a few months to a year.

<S>...-Gixer
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 10:39:21 PM by Gixer »

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 07:47:33 AM »
Gixer...thanks for the commendation mate.  Makes me feel appreciated and a little mushie inside  :o

I understand what Bald Eagle is saying though.  It's about playing the whole game in the RIGHT mode.  It's amazingly easy to push "over all" rank up a few hundred notches without significantly doing anything mundane, gamey or boring (see below). The exception is for those in the top 10 and even more so the top 5.  Then it's all nuker stukers at dawn and rockets at ten paces..... gamey without contribution to your side.   Masherbrum is right Rod367th posted, about 5 years ago, exactly how to game the score....in each mode.

As I've said many times over and most would prolly agree "over all" rank is only good for one thing......CV command.  Having said that it really helps if you know what your doing with the darn things.  You have to be aware of PT spawns, the firing angles of EVERY bases SHORE BATTERIES and lastly where to place the fleet for dry spawning of LVT troops.  Not every base has a dry spawn and it only works on a north to south axis if at all.

What got me into rank was CV command.  I got tottally pissed off with certain players suiciding CV's on SB's,  leaving them locked in port for hours and the worst thing...leaving their name on the CV with a gazillion bombers inbound.  So I thought to myself what to do.

First I pre selected in favourites all my attack aircraft in attack mode.  I left everything else in fighter mode in the main selection.  Once modes are selected they stay that way or at least should.

Just being in the right mode is 90% of rank.  This is what most fail to understand.  Over all rank makes you a strat player by the way.

Fighter mode.....only shoot planes.  You can shoot the odd building or ack out without detriment but what are you doing in fighter mode if your shooting ground targets up consistently. :uhoh  Go in attack mode if your shooting towns down or de-acking regularly. :aok  Fighter mode to me is fun time and not country/side orientated.....enjoy killing.

Attack mode.....Strat players paradise.  Do anything to every one or anything.... but do it first :D  Make sure to bomb and shoot towns.  oh, and the VH :rolleyes:

Bomber mode.....  Use only 500's or 1,000's to level Cities, factories and TOWNS.  Make sure damage is more than 50%.  Not only are you helping your side but once you get used to that accuracy, rank takes care of it's self.  Use smaller bombs for pork bombing (ack, ammo's, dar, fuels & barracks) and larger bombs for CV's or HQ.  Hanger banging is just plain unnecessary 90% of the time and done 90% of the time at the WRONG time...bomb towns.  It helps the capture more than knocking hangers down for 15 poxy minutes + it helps your bomber score.  Make sure the town is hit hard before turning onto hangers. (my pet hate :furious

C47 base captures fall under bomber score so if that's something you would want to do it only helps.

GV mode.....  I'm not a big GV'er so I defend alot more than attack bases.  If I do attack it's straight to town.  If given the opportunity I will level a factory in them.  Sometimes it's easier to kill a factory in an ostie or panzer than a 30 min flight in bombers.  Either way it helps your side so long as the factory is below 50%.  M3 or SKI captures helps this rank if your inclined to do so.

Gunner mode.... Ain't worth a toss except for fun or base defence.  Isn't detrimental or helpfull to rank.

If you see a player with a medium to high rank that player is more than likely to play the whole game or is a dedicated strat player.  If a player spouts off about how cool he is because he's ranked xyz then he'll deserve all the comments he's asking for.  However, we all know who's good at over all rank and who's gaming over all rank (sorties flown, damage & hit % etc).

So to those who cry about rank but do 95% of on line time in fighter mode I would say this.  If you don't play the whole game you ain't going to get a high rank which in turn makes you ambivalent to rank.  Fair enough right?  So why even bother chidding someone for doing something that, by your own conviction, have elected to abstain from?  It's as pointless as the argument you profain to know all about and comment on. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 08:23:11 AM by LYNX »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 08:38:43 AM »
You can score very well by just flying and fighting very well, without resorting to score whoring tricks.  I did it this tour, last I saw I was ranked <50.  Only a single sortie made especialy for score, in some bomber (can't recall) on a strat target, for the damage/sortie thing.  That's it.

You do have to do a certain amount (at least a few) of sorties to really be competitive for top 20 overall rank.  Or fly a perfect non-scoredweebing tour.

As for the whole score-whoring/-whining/-bragging thing... It means absolutely nothing.  It's as good as bragging about 733t Microsoft Excel skills.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 08:42:33 AM »
I second LYNX on that, except I like to bang hangars to help the bish horde  :devil

I'm currently ranked 13 just by using ALL the tools in the game with the correct mode and furballing quite a bit also :) I just don't take unnecessary risks most of the time, and make good drops.

As for the whole score-whoring/-whining/-bragging thing... It means absolutely nothing.  It's as good as bragging about 733t Microsoft Excel skills.

Hey Excel can be quite hard !!!!
now posting as SirNuke

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 08:58:25 AM »
Nah..... It all comes down to how clearly you can put your thoughts into paper as an algorithmic flowchart.. Then you just learn the XL funks like any other language :)
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline rip033

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 09:17:09 AM »
We have ranks?........... :confused:
JaCkRiPr

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 01:24:15 PM »
I'm all for keeping stats on how many kills and how many deaths/sortie etc.  However, this rank crap has to go.  The game died a little once that stuff was posted on the front page.

quoted for truth.