Author Topic: First 'moving skyscraper' to be built in Dubai...  (Read 429 times)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
First 'moving skyscraper' to be built in Dubai...
« on: June 25, 2008, 07:15:44 AM »
Rule 17
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:51:24 PM by MP3 »
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Re: First 'moving skyscraper' to be built in Dubai...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 07:55:50 AM »
  Some buildings fall down just sitting still. And they want it to spin?

~AoM~

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 08:00:13 AM »
It's audacious, definitely. Wind turbine powered with a net surplus of generated power. The rotation is even voice commanded.

I'll believe it when I see it, but it's an impressive design.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 08:43:38 AM »
Why are those guys in the middle east the ones best capitalizing on their resources to pull off stuff like this ?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 08:46:36 AM »
They realise oil will soon be gone in the UAE - they intend to make it a tourist hotspot and business hub (it already has a big British tourism industry). I think it is quite commendable and progressive, given the track record for the region.

You can already go skiing there and theres a really good water park.

Offline slipknot

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 09:20:05 AM »
I wonder what Dubai, the corporate capital of middle east, and host to the world's most impressive cruise missile targets, will look like when the entire region is plunged into economic depression after the oil vanishes from underneath its wealthy neighbors.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 10:04:21 AM »
Well she was standing by the window on the 80th floor, when all of a sudden our turbine floor released a large amount of unstored energy. I don't know man, we spun really fast, and well.... out she went.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 10:05:20 AM »
I wonder what Dubai, the corporate capital of middle east, and host to the world's most impressive cruise missile targets, will look like when the entire region is plunged into economic depression after the oil vanishes from underneath its wealthy neighbors.
They may just survive it with flying colors, if the self-sustaining economic infrastructure they're setting up now succeeds.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 11:46:17 AM »
Imagine them all of a sudden spinning like a lathe out of control...people pinned by centrifical force against the windows. Spinning so fast the World is a blur and then....Stops on a dime.

Watta mess.

:huh

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 12:06:45 PM »

The whole idea behind Dubai is they know the oil will be gone eventually. They are using the oil money now, trying to turn Dubai in to the playground of the middle east and make their money from high end tourism in the future and pulling in the corporate mongrels like Halliburton who has moved their headquarters there.

Yes that great American company, that has made it's fortune from no bid contracts given to them by our govt and paid for with our tax dollars has moved their HQ to Dubai so they don't have to pay taxes.. (quite ironically they made the announcement 1 year ago today.. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/12/business/main2558620.shtml )

I guess I won't feel so bad when I move my business to Curaçao, so I can take advantage of the no taxes on internet earnings..
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:08:40 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline slipknot

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 12:11:07 PM »
The whole idea behind Dubai is they know the oil will be gone eventually. They are using the oil money now, trying to turn Dubai in to the playground of the middle east and make their money from high end tourism in the future and pulling in the corporate mongrels like Halliburton who has moved their headquarters there.

Yes that great American company, that has made it's fortune from no bid contracts given to them by our govt and paid for with our tax dollars has moved their HQ to Dubai so they don't have to pay taxes.. (quite ironically they made the announcement 1 year ago today.. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/12/business/main2558620.shtml )

Yea, I know all about Dubai and their re-gearing for the post oil economy. However, the rest of the region, as was mentioned, is not quite so far-sighted. Dubai has not been completely dependant on oil in a while, and with their reserves supposedly due to run dry around 2016, theirs will be one of the first economies in the region to leave it behind altogether.

The question was what would happen when the region collapsed. Dubai may remain, but the wealth around it will gradually wither. As a metaphor, imagine Las Vegas after the US economy goes completely down the drain.

Thanks for tossing in the Halliburton reference though. I see you're quite skilled at incorporating references to the Bush adminstration into just about any topic tossed out.

Here's one for practice: Sesame Street.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 12:17:37 PM »
Yea, I know all about Dubai and their re-gearing for the post oil economy. However, the rest of the region, as was mentioned, is not quite so far-sighted. Dubai has not been completely dependant on oil in a while, and with their reserves supposedly due to run dry around 2016, theirs will be one of the first economies in the region to leave it behind altogether.

The question was what would happen when the region collapsed. Dubai may remain, but the wealth around it will gradually wither. As a metaphor, imagine Las Vegas after the US economy goes completely down the drain.

Thanks for tossing in the Halliburton reference though. I see you're quite skilled at incorporating references to the Bush adminstration into just about any topic tossed out.

Here's one for practice: Sesame Street.

Yea but they don't really give a craplo about the areas around them, they don't make their money from Arabs in mud huts. They are after European and American big spenders. Hell those islands they built were mostly bought up by the Russians last I heard. So Dubai will likely become the hang out for the Russian mob if it isn't already.

As for the other.. if the shoe fits...
"strafing"

Offline slipknot

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 12:22:46 PM »
Yea but they don't really give a craplo about the areas around them, they don't make their money from Arabs in mud huts. They are after European and American big spenders. Hell those islands they built were mostly bought up by the Russians last I heard. So Dubai will likely become the hang out for the Russian mob if it isn't already.

As for the other.. if the shoe fits...

Well, now that you put it that way, the asnwer is clear.

Forget economic upheavel. A couple Russians in the mix is the equivalent of sugar in your proverbial gas tank.