Author Topic: Aces High 2nd Annual Recipe Swap  (Read 6086 times)

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
Aces High 2nd Annual Recipe Swap
« on: June 25, 2008, 02:18:39 PM »
Last year was a HOOT!  Page after page of recipes--some international dishes...and most who tried them and served them to family & friends looked like the hero.

(Hey--no brain surgery/rocket science here--if you can follow directions, you can look like Emeril Lagassi too!)

As per last year, I will try and match you guys recipe for recipe and all national and international recipes are appreciated.  Have some great food in Iceland?  POST IT!  Have a great dish from Germany or Russia?  Let's see it!  Of course there's some great Mexican and BBQ we need to get on here.  My grandparents used to make icecream on the front porch with out electricity!  Of course, anything with BACON gets extra points.

So here's goes with the 2008 version!  Let's get it ON!

Shrimp Creole "Big Batch"

4 Tablespoons Olive Oil

2 Cup Chopped Celery

2 Large Onion, Sliced (wagon wheels)

2 lb Shrimp, cooked or fresh (deveined & de-tailed)

1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt

5 Teaspoons Chili Powder

2 ˝ Cup Tomato Juice (Or V8)

2 Tablespoon White Vinegar

2 Teaspoon Sugar

Sautee the celery & onions in a large sauce pan in the olive oil.  If shrimp are uncooked, add just after the onions have carmelized (if shrimp are canned or pre-cooked, add in the last five minutes of cooking).  Stir OFTEN! 

Add salt, chili powder, tomato juice, vinegar & sugar.  Stir well over medium high heat until starting to bubble, then cover and turn to low (add pre-cooked or canned shrimp at this point) and cover.  Cook on low for 5 additional minutes.

Serve over hot rice.

ROX’s Optional Additions:

1 small can bay shrimp

1 T Emeril's Bayou Blast (If you need the recipe from last year's thread, let me know)

3 Large Cloves Garlic, finely diced   (add when sauteeing onions)

1 can of pre-cooked oysters + juice   (add in last 5 minutes)

6 oz of imitation crab, coursely cut  (add in last 5 minutes)

Ditch the tomato juice and use a 16 oz can of tomato sauce instead

Serve with cayenne pepper & chilli powder to taste at the table or tobasco/hot sauce

1 can black olives roughly cut (add last 5 minutes)

Substitute crawfish or crawfish tails for shrimp

:salute

ROX

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:52:42 PM by ROX »

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Re: Aces High 2nd Annual Recipe Swap
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 02:30:54 PM »
I would give my right ... well.... anybody have a good Cioppino recipe?

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 02:47:11 PM »
Not exactly a "cheap" meal to make, but you get the Calabresean feel with a hint of Sicily.

If your local seafood contact has slim pickings, look around. Your local restaurants have to get them from somewhere.

You could use imitation crab, but don't if you don't have to.  You can also swap out the butter for extra virgin olive oil if you are heart healthy.

There are some west coast versions that call for octopus & limpets--but we're not going there for this one.

As you request:

Cioppino

Prep Time 10 min
Cook Time 45 min.
Serves 13

Ingredients

3/4 cup butter
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups white wine
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp - peeled and deveined
1 1/2 pounds bay scallops
18 small clams
18 mussels, cleaned and debearded
1 1/2 cups crabmeat
1 1/2 pounds cod fillets, cubed

Over medium-low heat melt butter in a large stockpot, add onions, garlic and parsley. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally until onions are soft.
Add tomatoes to the pot (break them into chunks as you add them). Add chicken broth, bay leaves, basil, thyme, oregano, water and wine. Mix well. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Stir in the shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels and crabmeat. Stir in fish, if desired. Bring to boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes until clams open. Ladle soup into bowls and serve with warm, crusty bread!

Yield: 13 servings

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:54:35 PM by ROX »

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 02:57:38 PM »
Thanks Rox, NO freakin way that is 13 servings though.... cause I may not share.

I used to have a recipe' that called for marinara sauce instead of the tomatos. Can't find it but this looks really good.

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 03:11:38 PM »
With the Basil, Oregano, Thyme, wine & broth making a version of a marinara...this is a "soup as a meal", so either could work.  I like the Mediteranian version over the fancy west coast versions.  You could easily pay $35 bucks for a decent sized bowl at a fancy joint in Las Vegas.

Making it at home is WAY better.

Oh...and a really basic Marinara Sauce (Emeril's, not mine):

Basic Marinara Sauce

1 tablespoon garlic-infused olive oil  (If you don't know how, just ask)
1 medium onion, sliced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes with basil
1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (2-ounce) can sliced black olives
One-half teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven.  Add the onion and cook (sautee), stirring, until soft.  Add the Italian seasoning and cook 1 minute.  Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and simmer for 3 hours.  If you need to free up your range for another dish, transfter to crock pot on low).

You can make a multitude of dishes using this as a base.  Freeze it in containers to pull out when needed.  Make & freeze on the weekends.  Then during the week when time is scarce...re-heat and use it over vegatables (squash, zucchini, etc) or add some shrimp and serve over pasta.  You look like the genius.

(ED:  I would add 1/2 T freshly ground white pepper as well, but that's just me.)

Makes 8 servings

ROX
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:29:13 PM by ROX »

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 03:43:52 PM »
Geez Rox, sounds like you are quite the Chef!  I used to fly AW with a guy who went by the cpid Mouse.  He was a Cajun guy who sounded like he was quite the chef himself.

For those of you who want to make a good finger food try this if you like stuffed Jalepeno's.
Jalapeno's (fresh or canned) cut in 2, lengthwise.  Remove seeds.
Fill with cream cheese.
Wrap with Bacon.
Bake @ 350 for about 10-15 minutes (or until the bacon is cooked).

I used to make these with a breading, but the bacon wrapped ones are oh so good!
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 03:56:50 PM »
Real Football Food for Real Football Fans.........

the white lightning sammich

disclaimer:  you must LOVE horseradish.

a ZetaNine favorite for mucho years...got if from a NY deli I used to go to.  they called it the "white lightning"

four ingredients:

*Go out and get yourself a tub of this stuff..........but.......it has to be Swiss Almond White Cheddar.

*now get a bottle of fresh ground horseradish (not creamed)

*grab two pounds of thinly sliced high quality top round roast beef sliced fresh from your deli

*fresh loaf of Pumpernickel bread.

When ya get home........place the cheese spread in a bowl and add at least a HEAPING tablespoon of the horseradish.......and mix it in....cover and set in back in the fridge for an hour.

when ready...spread this stuff liberal and thick on two pieces of the Pumpernickel, drop a heaping helping of the roast beef on it, and slap it together into a sammich........serve with dill pickle, chips and a beer.

thank me later
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:59:16 PM by ZetaNine »

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 03:59:04 PM »
Actually I am not--I'm just a regular guy who loves to cook.  

Very, very, lucky to have ran a "racino" inside a thouroughbred race track for 3 years...worked extensively with Chef Jimmmy on planning all the VIP Buffets and Special Events.  Picked up a lot of pointers as well as recipes.

Gotta tell ya, some of the folks who volunteered their own personal & family recipes last year tasted WAY better than some restaraunt stuff I have had!  Hoping this year will be just as awesome!

Thanks for yours ( I WILL try it, and BTW you are the first this year to get bonus points for BACON!  

Keep 'em coming!

ROX

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 04:14:18 PM »
WoooHoooo Bacon Bonus Points!!! :rock

Are you familiar with Jim Gaffigan's comedy bit on Bacon?  Hilarious.
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 04:22:09 PM »
My son's hot wing meal.  I don't believe that he made this one up entirely on his own, but he's out of town, so I can't credit the source.

3 - 5 lb. wings

1 bottle of BBQ sauce of your choice (he chose Country Bob's)
1 and 1/2 tsp Cayanne Pepper, finely chopped
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced onion
3 tbs Worcesterchire sauce
1 tbs tabasco sauce
1 tbs cajun spice

Blend all spices/sauces together.
Place wings and spice/sauce mix into crock pot
Heat on low for 4 hours.
Serve with rice.

It was too hot for me, frankly... the version he gave me had some other hot sauces/spices added... I didn't make it past the finger taste without getting bread.  At any rate, he brought these to school ~ his classmates loved it.  Ahh... can't the youngsters hack it so much better than us old folks?
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 06:45:35 AM »
Can of pork and beans, open top, place on burner, stick hotdog in middle of can. Lunch. :D Yea sounds stupid but i've actually cooked them like that while camping when it was raining and i didn't feel like sitting out in the rain getting wet cooking.

I'll see if i can get my ex girlfriends recipe for lasagna. Best i ever ate. :aok She was a psycho, but man could she cook. :)

Here's one my mom used to make but i can never seem to do it right. Think it's like 2 to 4 cups rice, then add 1 can of mushroom soup, don't add the water or milk to it just dump it in the rice, 1 can or 2 if you want of tuna fish. Let it simmer a bit to cook the soup and tuna then eat.

Anyone having a good meatloaf recipe i'm up for that. :D I love meatloaf. :aok

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 08:45:31 AM »
I'm looking for a killer egg salad recipe.  You know, for sammies?  Hit me up with your best recipe, yo.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »
I'm looking for a killer egg salad recipe.  You know, for sammies?  Hit me up with your best recipe, yo.

For you Diablo....one from the personal recipe box!

Egg Salad Sandwich (Mediteranian)

4 medium eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise (extra for spreading)
1/2 lemon, juiced
3 T Extremely finely diced celery
2 T Extremely finely diced stuffed Spanish Green Olives
1/4 T freshly ground black pepper (Or 6 turns from a pepper mill)
2 pieces of fresh lettuce
8 slices whole grain bread, slightly toasted (Beefsteak Rye works great, whole wheat is better)

Cook the eggs 10 minutes in a saucepan of simmering water to cover. Drain, cool under cold running water, and peel.
Roughly mash the eggs in a bowl with the mayonnaise, and lemon juice.

Season with pepper. Include olives & celery, mix thouroughly.

Spread 2 slices of toast with mayonnaise, if you like. Spread each with 1/2 of the egg salad.  Place a large piece of lettuce on each, top each sandwich with another slice of toast and serve.

Options:  (Pick ONE for each making)

Black olives instead of green olives
Greek Olives (pitted) + 1/2 T Greek Seasoning
2 T REAL bacon bits
A dab of dijon mustard on one side of the bread as well as a  dab of mayonaise

ROX
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 11:31:47 AM by ROX »

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 09:55:47 AM »
TXMom...those look awesome!!!  With that length of time is the meat falling off the bone?

The only "heat" in that recipe is the cayenne.  Dropping that by half might be what makes it work for "non-spicy" folks.

For spicy folks...serving that with ODBAL's bacon-wrapped jalepenos would ROCK!  Add a Caesar Salad?  That would be kickin'!!!!  :rock

ROX

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 10:14:30 AM »
Fast Pretzel Dip

1 package Philadelphia Cream Cheese- softened
1 jar Pimento Cheese Spread
Garlic Powder
Worcester sauce

Mix cheese together, I use a hand blender
Garlic powder to taste – I give it good 2 or 3 shakes- less if Wife wants some
Teaspoon or so of Worcester – blend in

Grab a bag of pretzels, can of beer, sit down and watch a game balancing dip and can of beer on stomach shelf that the kids laff at  :)

My Meatloaf

1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb ground pork
˝ green pepper
1 onion
1 egg
1 handful of oatmeal flakes
Garlic powder
1 small can of tomato paste

Wash hands while letting meat come to room temperature
Wash hands again
Chop onions and green pepper into fine pieces
Mix pork and beef with hands in a large bowl, add chopped peppers and onions
Add 1 raw egg, handful of oatmeal, and a few shakes of garlic powder, mix well.
Pre-heat oven to 325, place mixture in a breadloaf pan- I always line it with tin foil- cleanup is way easier, put on center rack and cook for 30 minutes, pull out and spread tomato paste on top and place back in oven for 10 to 15 minutes – my kids love it.

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."