Author Topic: Who Moderates the Moderators?  (Read 2341 times)

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
Re: Who Moderates the Moderators?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 10:42:39 AM »
Oh man, you'd be surprised.  The pace at which the universe is producing idiots is vastly out gaining common sense people.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :aok   Ain't that the truth    :salute

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 11:06:44 AM »
I used to get into worrying about moderators and whether they were biased or not. Then I realized I was taking this game way to serious and needed to chill out.  Things have been much better since that realization.  I do not get muted, warnings, or anything else for that matter, I just fly my cartoon airplane.  If I am mad because I did something stupid and died, got picked, or gangbanged, I just remove my hands from the keyboard, and hop into another cartoon airplane without saying a word. 
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 05:49:38 PM »
I used to get into worrying about moderators and whether they were biased or not. Then I realized I was taking this game way to serious and needed to chill out.  Things have been much better since that realization.  I do not get muted, warnings, or anything else for that matter, I just fly my cartoon airplane.  If I am mad because I did something stupid and died, got picked, or gangbanged, I just remove my hands from the keyboard, and hop into another cartoon airplane without saying a word. 

Ah, you have learned the Zen of AH. :rock
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline PhantomBarron

• Copper Member
      • http://
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 09:45:33 PM »
Very good question, I have noticed the selection of moderation seems to be biased many times. Wadyado
Game ID: Tyrant

Relax, What I’ve taken from you now will eventually be inherited by the Meek

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 10:29:51 PM »
In my opinion the moderators are only doing their job 1/2 way. 

The term "moderator" is derived from "moderate" which is basically "medium", or "in the middle", etc...  Not hot, not cold, but "moderate"...

So moderators should be keeping things "in the middle".  They should be taming down the "top end" stuff, but should also be getting folks who type too politely and too calmly to jazz it up a bit.

Otherwise they're probably more "tamer-downers" than true "moderators".

Just sayin'...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 10:33:30 PM »
Wow, get muted for being polite?  :O

:salute
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 10:40:50 PM »

No wonder you're so quiet. :D
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 09:13:42 AM »
I got muted for an hour last night for saying, "crap". 2 other of my squadies got the same punishment also.

Moderators abuse their power beyond belief. We should be allowed to say anything we want ( barring racial, deflamatory, etc, remarks) for the $15 we pay per month. I hardly think saying "crap" over 200 merits an hour warning.

I would like to give that moderator a piece of my mind. He is a complete twit, utter moron, and he hides behind the anonymity of the moderator position. Get a life, and stop ruining people's fun for such a trivial thing. TURD.
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 09:15:18 AM »
I got muted for an hour last night for saying, "crap". 2 other of my squadies got the same punishment also.

Moderators abuse their power beyond belief. We should be allowed to say anything we want ( barring racial, deflamatory, etc, remarks) for the $15 we pay per month. I hardly think saying "crap" over 200 merits an hour warning.

I would like to give that moderator a piece of my mind. He is a complete twit, utter moron, and he hides behind the anonymity of the moderator position. Get a life, and stop ruining people's fun for such a trivial thing. TURD.

I'd be careful.

Earlier last week, I was chasin around a 152 and I said outloud on 200 "STUPID 152 PR**K!!" and I got a warning.

So, I was like oops.... and I said "okay, okay then, stupid 152 NOOB!" and I got a "this is your last warning"  So I'm saying out loud on 200 "wtf? is it Stupid? Noob?" and I got a PM from Skuzzy himself saying "you'd better start to calm down now"  :rofl :rofl :rofl

But Skuzzy did show a good example for the other mods though, if a Mod had decided to take action, he woulda muted me.

p.s. can mods give out warnings?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:18:37 AM by angelsandair »
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 09:28:45 AM »
Moderators do a thankless job based upon a subjective evaluation of others behavior using tools that are imperfect at best. 

Since the alternative to moderators is a cesspool where a certain (relatively small but significant) percentage of players would be competing to see who could out-obscene everyone else to the point where a much larger and much more significant portion of the player base would find playing distasteful, bothersome and unenjoyable, I'd argue that they do a pretty good job and we should grant them room to be human and therefore imperfect, and thank them for the efforts any way.

Oh, and trying to stay out of their sights as much as possible wouldn't hurt - I'm sure that if you've come to their attention a few times before you're much less likely to be given the benefit of the doubt when what you say/type could be taken more than one way.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 09:30:37 AM »
text filter issues?  you think you have it rough here........these are the posted rules about text filter issues at another board I post on:

Bypassing The Censor: Members are prohibited from attempting to bypass the built-in sensor mechanism that automatically replaces profanity and other banned words & phrases with a series of asterisks. Bypassing is any action to thwart the intended function of the censor, such as attempting to divulge the actual censored word or words by means of using other spellings, symbols, rhymes, or any facsimiles thereof.

here's some more:

Bi-Posting: Members are prohibited from using or registering more than one username. Multiple user names (Bi-Posting-ghosting-cloning) is not permitted. Members who continue to Bi-Post do so fully at their own risk, as we periodically sweep our registered user lists with software designed to delete such multiple accounts, and this software does not differentiate between primary and secondary usernames. Once a username is deleted/banned by our sweep software, it is absolutely unrecoverable.

they have another unwritten rule that would get most of you banned in this thread.........it's called "Grandstanding"...which is openly complaining about the Mods.  if you want to do that...you have to send them a private PM.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 09:33:39 AM »
I've said "salamander" before........ I had no idea that was against the rules.

Q...how do you know you are muted?  How are you given these warnings? How do the Mods communicate with you?

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 11:17:21 AM »
I was just as confused as you, Zetanine - but notice that he edited the post - and he apparently didn't say "Hoot". :)
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 11:31:43 AM »
<SNIP>

If the attitude and intent of your post is anything similar to the text/vox you contribute to the game, I can easily see how you might provoke the response you got from a mod. I highly doubt the single word "crap" triggered an hour long mute.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 11:38:07 AM »
Ghastly: hmmm.....yeah.  I did not say that...and I did not edit that.  is the word automatically censored?  or was that done manually? well...it's an acceptable word on network tv....but not here...and I will respect that. this is a private board, and they are allowed to set any rules that they want.

I just sent a pm to a person in red on the list who was called an admin...but the pm did not get though.

I think I need link to a list of words that are not permissible.  I can understand the profanity thing, the racist thing, and the whacked out melt-down tirades here...afterall....there are children using and reading this board....but if "hoot" is not allowed...I sure would like to see what else is not allowed.

I was a mod on a pro sports team's official board for a few years....and I can tell you.....it ain't easy and nobody understands what goes on under the layer of the board until you actually do that thankless job.......so I can sympathize.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:43:18 AM by ZetaNine »