Author Topic: Well its confirmed. I no longer wish to do automechanic work  (Read 802 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Well its confirmed. I no longer wish to do automechanic work
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 08:54:25 AM »
Heh, come back to me after changing a timing chain on a 3SFE in a Celica. :lol

been there.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 08:55:38 AM »
new auto engineers should have to work as a auto technician for a few years before they are allowed to design anything.

i've been saying that for over 10 years
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 08:59:36 AM »
I run an auto center, personally I hate cars, yes I hate them, with every fiber of my being.

I know the tool they gave you, one big wrench and this gizzy thats supposed to hold the pully by the bolts while you crack the nut loose. Actually what happens is it lets the pulley slip while you crack all the skin on your knuckles loose.

The real tool, which makes it simple is a wrench that is made like a crowsfoot, (lil stuby wrench) and has a spot on the end to hold another tool attached to an air hammer, it acts like a lever and works pretty well. You just have to know which fans are reverse threaded or you can have a bad day as this tool will remove the fan in either direction. The wrong direction and you'll be getting a new fan.

You have to keep in mind that at one time cars were built by engineers so that monkeys could fix them. Now they are built by monkeys so that engineers must fix them.

Oh, just a side note: Very important, if you need tires for any of your cars, BUY THEM NOW! Tire manufacturers have told us that the price of tires will increase to an expected 30% to 40% by the fall.

Don
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 09:05:45 AM »
There are those that can do a job and then the ones that can not, the ones that can not usually become teachers or designers of the things they can not do. I think it's a revenge thing. :lol

I've never had a problem doing any of my own vehicle maintenance but i give all the credit for my ability to the fine mechanical training i received while in the military. :aok

Biggest job i ever did was pull the motor on my 92 Toyota pickup, strip the block down, replace crank shaft, then rebuild it from there. Yep was true backyard mechanic/shade tree job as i used a come-a-long hooked to my big tree in the yard to lift the motor in and out. Took me 6 days from start to finish and the biggest pains where the multi port fuel injection and hooking the vacuum lines back up to the right places. :eek:

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 09:07:04 AM »
Once upon a time many years ago I personally changed my car's oil.  That was enough mechanics for me.   :uhoh
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 04:32:33 PM »
There are those that can do a job and then the ones that can not, the ones that can not usually become teachers or designers of the things they can not do. I think it's a revenge thing. :lol

I've never had a problem doing any of my own vehicle maintenance but i give all the credit for my ability to the fine mechanical training i received while in the military. :aok

Biggest job i ever did was pull the motor on my 92 Toyota pickup, strip the block down, replace crank shaft, then rebuild it from there. Yep was true backyard mechanic/shade tree job as i used a come-a-long hooked to my big tree in the yard to lift the motor in and out. Took me 6 days from start to finish and the biggest pains where the multi port fuel injection and hooking the vacuum lines back up to the right places. :eek:

By engine bay layout standards, a 92 toyota is a dinosaur.  Try doing a shade tree engine pull on a new car..... nope.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 04:45:22 PM »
Quote from: john9001 on Today at 07:49:04 AM
new auto engineers should have to work as a auto technician for a few years before they are allowed to design anything.

I've been saying that for over 10 years

ALL engineers should 'work on the bench' for at least 2 years.

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 05:28:32 PM »
A headlight bulb blew on my old 02 Corolla. No problem I thought, just pop in a new bulb. And no problem it would have been too, if I had hands the size of a three year old. For those of with normal sized appendages, what it actually meant was stripping out some very ominous looking unnamed black boxes and pretty and the screen wash tank. I declined treat and took it to the shop.

There's something truly humiliating about having to ask another man to change a light-bulb for you.   :confused:

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 06:26:11 PM »
Heh, come back to me after changing a timing chain on a 3SFE in a Celica. :lol

Worse, head gaskets on a V12 Jag  :mad:
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 06:33:27 PM »
you sure it wasn't a civic? i didn't think honda had an accord back in the 70's? thought only the 2 cylinder civics, but i could be wrong.

<<S>>

Accord debuted as a hatchback in 1976.

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Stixx

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 06:37:38 PM »
In the past I've rebuilt several v-8 engines without a problem.
Even rebuilt an automatic transmission once and it worked after I was done.
Six years ago I was working to get a 95 Chevy S-10 thru inspection. I gave up,
packed all of the parts into the cab and took it to a mechanic to finish. I haven't
even changed the oil in any of my vehicles since.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in military aviation are:'Did you feel that?' 'What's that noise?' and'Oh S...!'
-Authors Unknown-

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 08:34:56 PM »
Thing is I used to do this kinda stuff all the time.

And I used to get a degree of satisfaction when I was done.
I still get that way when I complete a difficult house. Or figure out a problem with a computer.
Cars?
After this one
I'd just rather not be bothered anymore.
When I was done I didnt feel satisfied. Just aggrivated..

Screw it. My time is worth more to me then spending hours busting my knuckles on some overdesigned BS

Im looking at this thing and thinking to myself that I could think of 5 or six different ways to design these things  that were aggrivating me and accomplish the exact same thing. AND it would be easier to work on.

I remember one other time. Wife has a Saturn that needed a new alternator.
To change the alternator you had to remove the passenger side wheel AND the firewall.
To Change a Frikken ALTERNATOR.

And what idiot decided the bumperjack was a bad idea?
Those things were 1,000 times more safe then the rinky dink peice of junk they give you now.
That half the time wont let you jack the car up far enough to do anything with. Or require so much energy to jack up that your too tired to change the tire

I just carry a floor jack with me now.

No I've had it with this.
Even removing the two part fan shrowd was an adventure. Not unbolting it. That was easy. But removing it

No more
Like I said. My time is more valuable to to me then that.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 08:54:48 PM »

I remember one other time. Wife has a Saturn that needed a new alternator.
To change the alternator you had to remove the passenger side wheel AND the firewall.
To Change a Frikken ALTERNATOR.

Don't forget you got under the car to remove it.  I changed the one on my wife's Saturn so many times that by the time it was stolen, I could change it out in just over 15 minutes. Every 4-6 months it would go bad... had one from Auto Zone w/ lifetime warranty.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 09:19:21 PM »

Don't forget you got under the car to remove it.  I changed the one on my wife's Saturn so many times that by the time it was stolen, I could change it out in just over 15 minutes. Every 4-6 months it would go bad... had one from Auto Zone w/ lifetime warranty.

How much did it cost ya to get someone to steal it? LOL

Wife had a Corsica I absolutely loathed.
I woulda been willingotpay someone to steal that.

I hated that car so much I would leave it unlocked at Woodbridge shopping center.
which was a place known for getting cars stolen from its parking lot.
HOPING it woulnt be there when I came out.

Nobody ever so much as opened the door
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline gunnss

• Nickel Member
      • https://grantvillegazette.com/wp/lastname-firstname/evans-kevin-h/
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 09:37:54 PM »
Well lets see,

Today I tore down and repacked bearings on the front of my car, last week I redid back brakes and replaced all the vacuum lines. The week before that I did both brakes on the front, and rebuilt the carb.  In addition I've been sending down the roof and repainting.

Of course it's a 76 Mercury Comet.  Runs like a Swiss watch too.

Regards,
Kevin
5,486 HP 110 MPH @500 tons
My other "ride"
http://nmslrhs.org/Photos/photos.php
Alt History, The butterfly made me do it.....
https://grantvillegazette.com/wp/lastname-firstname/evans-kevin-h/