Author Topic: Manned Carrier Ack Lethality  (Read 166 times)

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Manned Carrier Ack Lethality
« on: January 25, 2001, 07:27:00 PM »
Its just WAY too strong.  Im not talking about the auto acks lethality.  When it hits, it doesnt kill automatically like the manned ack does.  

Today I was in a big CV strike and had a Bish hit me ONCE with manned ack which instantly killed me.  This is the 4th time in 4 days that I got killed in 1 ping from manned ack.  I can understand some damage from manned ack...just not an instakill.

-Ding`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

TheWobble

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2001, 08:13:00 PM »
I hear ya ding, I usually gun ack and it seems to me that if its not a total miss, its a fireball, I usually manage to explode a fighter with 1 shot, or at least do catastrophic damage. however it is very hard to get many hit on anything beyond Icon range, which may be why its so lethal, unless every ack on the cv is manned it shouldt be a prob, however if there is a person on every gun they can be pretty un-touchable.  I dont really know what could be done though
<punt>

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2001, 11:47:00 PM »
As the guy behind that shot Dingy... you were around 5k or so out when i hit ya  

But..  I have fired the 5" a lot and achieved a lot of kills, however, it is rare that I've fired 1 shot pop's like what happened tonight.  I was just blasting away at you guys, think there was 4 of you all in relatively close formation, so I was just lobbing the shots.  I actually thought I was leading more than it turned out.  Anyways, you are about the 2nd or 3rd one shot boom I've had in the MA.  Typically it takes 2-3 shots to actually strike the fatal blow to a fighter, 3-4 or more against a JU or TBM, and even more vs Lanc's and 17's.

I've got around 130 5" kills, of that 130 I've maybe got 3 1 pop kills... do the math Dingy.  Perhaps you are just lucky  

SKurj

Pepino

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2001, 06:34:00 AM »
You say 5k over CV is too strong?

Yesterday: 2xLanc over enemy CV, 11k, level flight. First one (me) blown away aprox 3 carriers' lengths short of fleet. Second one blown away just after drop. Now that's stregth (and good aiming, Mav13   )

Cheers,

Pepe.

Offline Paxil

• Copper Member
      • http://marathontoathens.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2001, 03:03:00 PM »
I think it is too accurate also... got 28 kills in a row a few days ago. However... it would be a lot tougher if everyone didn't do the exact same thing... take off from field... fly straight at carrier. Get a little creative... time attacks from multiple sides. (Not saying everyone does this) Right now... I just stay away from carriers while flying. Haven't survived an encounter yet.

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2001, 03:42:00 PM »
I am suprised by the number of easy kills I can get in a fleet gun.  If you get anywhere near 3k out and are flying nice and level, you are dead (not bragging, just telling it like I see it).  Especially if you are nice and low, nice and level...or even low and jigging.  PT boats are even easier, since their icons are (or were) showing up at 3k.  I don't have to be terribly accurate with the burst, but once I see one burst I have got you.

Angle attacks with some alt and of course 90 degrees are much harder to hit.

Fury

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2001, 03:50:00 PM »

Originally posted by Dingy:
Its just WAY too strong.  Im not talking about the auto acks lethality.  When it hits, it doesnt kill automatically like the manned ack does.  

Today I was in a big CV strike and had a Bish hit me ONCE with manned ack which instantly killed me.  This is the 4th time in 4 days that I got killed in 1 ping from manned ack.  I can understand some damage from manned ack...just not an instakill.

-Ding`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

hey! at least you were killed by a man! I was killed at more than 8.0K yards from the enemy fleet this morning. With a single hit.

how do I know? there were dots over the fleet fighting, and I got no icon on them. so 6.0k at the best. Add the 12K feet of altitude I was, and then do some trigonometry.

I promise, I wont never EVER be in a plane least than a sector away from the enemy fleet. Its like with buffs, its SUICIDAL to do otherwise.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2001, 05:07:00 PM »
Pepino, Thanks for the compliment but getting you was a fluke. I was aiming at the other buff!  

This is kind of silly here. I can't see why anyone would think a single plane attacking a CV (or a field) would have any expectation of getting through. The CV ack isn't a death ray. I have flown a C47 by a fleet and not taken any damage at only 10k alt. If you take evasive action, and I mean vary your heading and alt, you should be ok unless you are heading to the cv itself. If you head into it you are flying right down the muzzles and that is plain dumb any way you look at it. If you want to take out the cv use multiple attackers. The guns only track one at a time. Multiple vectors into the attack should succeed every time.

If the cv ack is made less effective the fleet might as well be dropped out of game play. There is no guarantee that a group of players will defend the thing from any attack. The low earth orbit space shuttles with the pin point accuracy enhancement and ability to out turn fighters will be able to take out the cv with very little problem and they do, regularly.

Fleet ack historically should be extremely lethal. That is why almost all attackers were shot down on the attack of the fleet. Why should it be an easy target here in this game? That makes as much sense as a one magazine ammo load for the pt boats.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2001, 07:54:00 PM »

Originally posted by Maverick:
If you take evasive action, and I mean vary your heading and alt, you should be ok unless you are heading to the cv itself.

Mav, I was fighting against a C205. at least 8.0K away from the fleet( and I'm quite sure that was much more). There were cons fighting directly OVER THE FLEET.

I got killed by a single ping. Man, I think I dont say anything wrong if I say that this is way off from being acceptable.

If the cv ack is made less effective the fleet might as well be dropped out of game play

if it is kept as it is, you may say the same. This afternoon while flying I heard a guy saying something like "if HTC doesnt want us to get less than 10 miles from a Fleet, then why did they put them on the game?"

I'm not that drastic, but I think that

1-there are 2 many CV fleets in the game
2-The acks are way uber accurate