Author Topic: Singer substitutes 'black national anthem' for 'Star-Spangled Banner'  (Read 1133 times)

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Disgusting.........to say the least.  what say you?

A singer surprised dignitaries by singing Lift Every Voice and Sing, also known as the "black national anthem," to the tune of The Star-Spangled Banner during the mayor's State of the City address yesterday in Denver.

Rene Marie, who was introduced by City Council president Michael Hancock to perform the national anthem, says she made the switch without informing the mayor's office.

Marie tells The Denver Post she decided to switch the lyrics months ago and will no longer sing the national anthem because she sometimes feels like a foreigner in the USA.

"When I decided to sing my version, what was going on in my head was: 'I want to express how I feel about living in the United States, as a black woman, as a black person,'" Marie tells KUSA-TV, a fellow Gannett property.

Lift Every Voice and Sing was first performed in 1900 to commemorate almost 40 years of freedom for blacks in America.

Mayor John Hickenlooper says he discussed the situation with Marie following her performance. "She was very apologetic," he tells the Post. "She meant no disrespect, and she was singing an artistic expression she thought represented love and hope for her country."

Marie tells KUSA-TV she has no regrets.

The Rocky Mountain News says the City Council president has been receiving hate mail, even though he had never met Marie before he introduced her at the State of the City event.

"I'm getting — as if I made the decision to do this — I'm receiving a lot of hate mail," he says. "I've received quite a few e-mails that are quite nasty."

USA TODAY

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Poor decision by someone who violated the terms of her invitation to sneak in a personal agenda at the expense of her hosts. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 05:33:16 PM by Halo »
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Poor decision by someone who violated the terms of her invitation to push a personal agenda at the expense of her hosts. 

my first instinct is that it has a lot more to do with her promoting herself...more than anything else.

my second instinct...is to ask where the nation of "black" is?

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Marie tells The Denver Post she decided to switch the lyrics months ago and will no longer sing the national anthem because she sometimes feels like a foreigner in the USA.

She sings the 'black national anthem' yet feels like a foreigner...

geee I wonder why?

:rofl

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Lets just have the race war and get it over with. 

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Place your bets -- how long will this thread go before someone says she ought to be blackballed?

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
Place your bets -- how long will this thread go before someone says she ought to be blackballed?

Umm, my bet is you just did.
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
you know the rap group NWA?

btw RIP Easy E...word to the motha land

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
you know the rap group NWA?

btw RIP Easy E...word to the motha land

NWA, Straight outta Compton got me through my senior year in HS when it first came out.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
what say you?

I think that I won't lose the slightest bit of sleep over it.
sand

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
Re: Singer substitutes 'black national anthem' for 'Star-Spangled Banner'
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 08:10:17 PM »
Jose Feliciano at the 68 world series, Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock, Marvin Gaye's funk version at the NBA finals ... performers have been interpreting the song for a long time, as with any song. Who is to say what's the "right" way to perform it. Afterall, it was written as a poem and only later fitted to a melody, an old British drinking song.

Not exactly the most panty-bunching thing I've ever heard but hey, they're your panties.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 08:26:15 PM »
Jose Feliciano at the 68 world series, Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock, Marvin Gaye's funk version at the NBA finals ... performers have been interpreting the song for a long time, as with any song.

Bunch of nonconformist, heretical, sinners, all of them. They should burn in hell.
sand

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 08:37:53 PM »
Jose Feliciano at the 68 world series, Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock, Marvin Gaye's funk version at the NBA finals ... performers have been interpreting the song for a long time

Hedrix played an instrumental. Feliciano and Gaye both sang the words to the National Anthem. The girl that is the topic of this thread did not sing the same words...the song was totally different...not an apples to apples comparison.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 09:56:45 PM by Donzo »

Offline 59funkman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
      • m4m.net
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 08:54:47 PM »
Fight the power.

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 09:05:46 PM »