Author Topic: Wirblewind indestructable hull gun.  (Read 802 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Wirblewind indestructable hull gun.
« on: July 03, 2008, 04:00:10 PM »
seems that it can be turreted, tracked.. etc, but there is no way to disable the hull gun..

tested this via lan.

upped a jug and emptied it fully on a wirble, ditched, upped another.. did the same..  over and over..   on 5 different wirbles. I took care to make sure many of the passes put fire DIRECTLY on the the hull gun aswell.

in all 5 cases after over 10,000 rounds of 50 cal the WW was turreted, tracked.. but the hull gun was always still operational.

in game, we have been in situations were a single wirble has taken.. best conservative guess.. over 20+K rounds of various MG can cannon, and same result.. if its not dead, it has its hull MG.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 04:02:48 PM by Wingnutt »

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Wirblewind indestructable hull gun.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 04:04:45 PM »
Can you kill the hull gun on ANY GV?

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 04:06:46 PM »
good question..

I would think the hull MG would actually be pretty vulnerable, considering it protrudes out of the front of the tank..  a single large caliber round (50 cal +) hitting the barrel would disable it.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 04:25:41 PM »
Of course... a round striking a ~1 inch barrel from a moving platform 400-800 yards away... easy, right?

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »
Of course... a round striking a ~1 inch barrel from a moving platform 400-800 yards away... easy, right?
No you right it is not a easy shot then, but if your in a 110G for instance, flying multiple frontal assaults, firing hundreds of rounds into the front of the wirble or in fact any of the GV with similar gun arrangements kind of raises the probability of you taking that gun out don't you think. ;)
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 05:40:59 PM »

after literally thousands of rounds..

would be hard.. TO NOT hit it at least once.

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 12:35:06 PM »

upped a jug and emptied it fully on a wirble, ditched, upped another.. did the same..  over and over..   on 5 different wirbles. I took care to make sure many of the passes put fire DIRECTLY on the the hull gun aswell.

in all 5 cases after over 10,000 rounds of 50 cal the WW was turreted, tracked.. but the hull gun was always still operational.

So after spending all this time, you couldn't penetrate a panzer chassis with .50 caliber within which is located the machine gun and operator. And I imagine the German machine guns could change out their barrels.

Did you realize in your testing that after firing "over 10,000" rounds your machine guns never jammed once?

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 02:50:10 PM »
So after spending all this time, you couldn't penetrate a panzer chassis with .50 caliber within which is located the machine gun and operator. And I imagine the German machine guns could change out their barrels.

Did you realize in your testing that after firing "over 10,000" rounds your machine guns never jammed once?

well 163s dont detonate on the runways, LAs 262s etc etc dont have chronic engine problems in game etc etc.. so the whole "appreciate that your guns didnt jam" is kind of a dumb argument.. if thats what it was even intended to be.

point is.. the hull gun literally cannot be damaged..   yet it in real life it could. probably easier then the turret could...  be it the barrel itself being damaged, or the ball mount it sits in..  either one..   but in the game it remains functional literally untill the vehicle is destroyed..  add to that the fact that the wirble cannot be destroyed by guns.. and you get a rather irritating situation..

Offline Dream Child

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 02:56:25 PM »
add to that the fact that the wirble cannot be destroyed by guns..

Funny, but I don't have a lot of problems killing a wirble with the guns in an IL2.

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 04:31:09 PM »
 but in the game it remains functional literally untill the vehicle is destroyed..  add to that the fact that the wirble cannot be destroyed by guns.. and you get a rather irritating situation..

And it's different from the hull guns on other armored chassis? The wirblewind  also survives collisions with planes. But, whatever, if a Wirblewind with no turret, no tracks but a .30 that still works within its limited travel irritates you....<shrugs>

Did one shoot you in the face while you were making a low pass on it's front?

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 04:57:44 PM »
And it's different from the hull guns on other armored chassis? The wirblewind  also survives collisions with planes. But, whatever, if a Wirblewind with no turret, no tracks but a .30 that still works within its limited travel irritates you....<shrugs>

no, the scenario ususally plays out as such:

heavy fighters attack a V base.. wirbles pour out like roaches as usual..

heavy fighters use their bombs and rockets to kill the hangers and enemy GVs..  of course since its  acartoon game and people had no "fear" wirbles come out, get killed, come out get killed voer and over till the VHs are down.. oc course since they cant be killed with guns all the remaining ORD is used up killing the wirbles that are still up after the last hanger is dropped.

a wirble (1 sometimes 2) gets turreted..but all the attackers are out of bombs and rockets..  the wirble drives over to the map room and jut parks there, knowing full well he is totally invincible at this point..

fighters being out of ord lay into the wirble with machinegun and cannon fire,

wirble is hit literally thousands of times which has absolutly no effect whatsoever.

eventually everyone is out of ammo, and low on fuel, plus hangars are by now, fixing to pop.. reluctantly goon/ m3 drops troops..

wirble kills all troops with its hull MG.

believe it (or not i could care less) this scenario repeats it self over and over and over every day.. and its utter nonsense.. 

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 12:12:34 PM »
i was probably the guy in the wirble!! hehehe  :rofl

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 01:37:16 PM »

Not the point, the point is that you should be able to damage the hall gun and you cannot, end point!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:31:38 PM by DCCBOSS »
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 01:44:06 PM »
No you right it is not a easy shot then, but if your in a 110G for instance, flying multiple frontal assaults, firing hundreds of rounds into the front of the wirble or in fact any of the GV with similar gun arrangements kind of raises the probability of you taking that gun out don't you think. ;)

Or if you're in a Jug that as 8 .50 caliber guns each with 3400 rounds. I'm sure 1 will make it's way to the barrel or hit the driver/gunner there.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 09:30:13 PM »

:rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC