Author Topic: Carrier Flak  (Read 2476 times)

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
Carrier Flak
« on: July 05, 2008, 10:52:29 AM »
Wow, where to start.  My first question would be about the fusing of the ack rounds.  Were they fused on the deck to pop at a certain altitude?  Are they proximity fused?  I was in a 262, 450 MPH, 14K, at least 8K from the CV horizontally, headed in the opposite direction of the CV and got hit???  I do not think that for a second was realistic.  How much of a lead would that human gunner, yes they were humans shooting those things, have to put on a plane that fast and at that altitude.  I was varying my alt by 1000 feet and moving left and right.  This is not a gripe, just a general discussion about realism.  I would personally request that HITECH dumb down the range of the CV ack or the accuracy of the gunners.  I have no experience as a WWII Flak gunner and would like to open this one up for discussion. 

If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Re: Carrier Flak
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 11:51:28 AM »
it shouldent try to engage maneuvering fighters at all IMO..

btw, you questioned something about the game, prepare to get flamed, this game is perfect, nothing has ever been changed due to input from the community, its always been the way it is now.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 12:11:04 PM »
They are armed with radio proximity fuses ... so like hand grenades and horseshoes ... "close" is good enough ... it doesn't have to be a direct hit like most think.

I doubt very strongly, according to your description, that there was a human behind the firing of those shells. When in a 5" guns, there is no way that they can see you, that high and that far away, to try a guesstimate a firing solution on you.

I agree that once the CV grabs onto you, it does pester you for way to long when you would think that you are definitely out of range, or behind a mountain range, but remember, again, they are proximity fuses, so the shell and you just need to be within it's detonation range ... it does not have to directly hit you.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 12:19:18 PM »
Puffy ack randomly explodes within a virtual cube around your aircraft.  This 'cube' expands the faster you go or if you are turning.  To quote "sometimes your luck is just up".

...and yes, it annoys the hell out of me too.  Did you know it can also magically shoot through hills?
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 12:27:05 PM »
btw, you questioned something about the game, prepare to get flamed, this game is perfect, nothing has ever been changed due to input from the community, its always been the way it is now.
You've been around 6 months?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 12:33:43 PM »
The CV we have is a US Essex class carrier, apparently fully upgraded to 1945 standards.  If we had "early-war" CV group, or a Japanese CV group, the AA fire would not be as deadly.  But by 1945, AA fire on US ships was radar-directed and used the proximity fuses, which took away a lot of the human guess work, and made them quite formidable.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 12:35:44 PM »
search
 :noid
Pannono
Proud Member of Pigs On The Wing
8 Player H2H: 2006-07
MA Tours: 87, 97-113, 143-144, 160-Present
FSO: JG54

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 01:43:20 PM »
You've been around 6 months?

He's been around for a while m00t. I think he started about the same time I did which was in '06.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 01:43:57 PM »
If you can't take the mental anguish of losing your perk points then don't fly perked planes.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 03:09:55 PM »
His post wasn't about losing perks, it was about the ability of ack to hit a jet doing 400 indicated 4 miles slant range from a CV.

That's a heck of a shot for puffy ack, and it happens way to often imo as well. 
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 03:34:38 PM »

I doubt very strongly, according to your description, that there was a human behind the firing of those shells. When in a 5" guns, there is no way that they can see you, that high and that far away, to try a guesstimate a firing solution on you.

he was referring to the fact that in real life, it was manned by humans, humans not even remotely capable of tracking and firing at a maneuvering high speed target at long range.

what we have now, from a lethality to fighters standpoint, is less akin to WW2 5" flak and more comparable to...

:P :P :P
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 03:36:34 PM by Wingnutt »

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 04:49:59 PM »
You think this games flak is hard!?

Try flying warbirds III, aces high AAA/ground ack ability is a JOKE to other games made years ago.
And like HTC said, if you make them to lame they cant hit a sitting duck, if you make them to ubber everything that gets into the air,gets killed.

Aces High is that perfect balance between lame duck and super A.i. gunnery.

ON POINT: The real problem with CV 5' guns is being so spot on is the ships do not move up and down, with sea swells or wave wakes, our carrier fleets right now act like object "sliding" over a flat, solid landmass.
We do not flow up and down, dipping from side to side. And as such our CV fleet will always have that advantage of a 100% pure stable gun platform. Change that, and everything from gunners to cheap lame UBBER 5' ack go's the way of the dinosaurs. Simply put, its not the guns, its the platforms being completely unrealistic.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 04:51:46 PM by BaDkaRmA158Th »
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 04:54:53 PM »

Well, if you bother to note the way he asked his question and the information he gave about himself and his opinions.....you will note that the odds of him getting flamed are relatively low. Just sayin........ :aok
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 07:50:22 PM »
Wow, walk away for an hour or two...

Yes, six months is all I have been playing.  I merely was making an observation and delivering a question.  The replies explaining the radar guided, radio proximity fusing allows me to palette an otherwise absurd notion that a human (meaning the computer representing a human, not being perfect) could hit a plane going that fast at that range.  As to the cupcake who had the silly response about flying perked planes, I was merely illustrating the sheer speed and therefore the reduced probability for decent lead discernment by the carrier group (if it were a human, represented by the computer).  These forums would be used a little more for discussion and the sharing of information (the radar / radio fuse comment, answers it all, thanks for the comment) if not for the sarcastic kool aid drinking such and such's who impede grown up discussion.  Were they not raised if they had nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all? 

BTW, those who posted about the real data, thanks, I will be much more wary of CVs and think twice about flying into their defenses.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 01:13:42 AM »
And like HTC said, if you make them to lame they cant hit a sitting duck, if you make them to ubber everything that gets into the air,gets killed.

Aces High is that perfect balance between lame duck and super A.i. gunnery.

Its far from 'perfect' imho. I hate puffies not because they kill me in fighter occasionally (too often in fact), but because they cannt kill bombers at all. It just plain wrong. HTC need to make flak much more dangerous for big slow straight flying targets rather than small fast and agile one.

Look at manned 5' for example. You can nail furballing fighter sometimes but incoming bombers are much much easier targets.

Edit:
As I can see, HTC just need to add timer between 'shot' and 'puff' for 5', depending on range. It isnt 'new' solution, but i dont remember i saw why it wouldnt work.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 01:31:44 AM by Oleg »
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou