Author Topic: Very Simple Question  (Read 594 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Very Simple Question
« on: July 08, 2008, 08:27:05 AM »
But most likely not such a simple answer.

i read a lot in here, concerning "E" states, and that when you're setting up the merge, you judge the enemies E state.
 How? How would i judge your e state if we were 6k from each other, and trying to set up merge....assume co-alt, in typical MW planeset.........

thanks!!!!!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline HAMMERR

• Zinc Member
Re: Very Simple Question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:42:12 AM »
I'm no expert but much of the equasion is already filled out by your statement. 

"Co-Alt @ 6K"

I know that isnt everything, but I always start with altitute.

The Second factor I use is aircraft type. I have to be able to ask the question. "How much energy can he possibly store?" given how i've watched his dot as it approached.  Did he dive from 10K above me before? Or did he approach from level?  How well does his AC retain energy?  If its a zeke, and i'm in a hog, and everything started co alt and nobody dove down from anywhere.. then I'm slightly superior (higher hog top speed, greater retention of inertia due to massive weight).

Thats where I start at least.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:58:05 AM by HAMMERR »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 08:56:41 AM »
closing distance/speed would give you a good indication.  You can see whether the con has entered a dive out of con range. 

Other than that every ace has a crystal ball telling him exactly what he should do next and whether he has enough energy to pull it off   ;)

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:26:39 AM »
But most likely not such a simple answer.

i read a lot in here, concerning "E" states, and that when you're setting up the merge, you judge the enemies E state.
 How? How would i judge your e state if we were 6k from each other, and trying to set up merge....assume co-alt, in typical MW planeset.........

thanks!!!!!

As said before, you can tell by the closing speed but also what kind of plane type it is. That, and just an inherent feeling you get when engaging.
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:51:56 AM »
Another way of looking at it:
Look at what the opponent does on the first merge. If on the first merge, both of you having decent smash (above corner speed),  he manages to turn around  considerably quicker and tighter than you, consider it probable that he had less airspeed than you to begin with or scrubbed airspeed to turn tighter, and react accordingly.

Offline Jenks

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 12:47:12 PM »

Other than that every ace has a crystal ball telling him exactly what he should do next and whether he has enough energy to pull it off   ;)

Is there somewhere to get them serviced?   Mine doesn't seem to work too well. :uhoh

Judging E-state and direction of travel (when the con is still not much more than a dark blob), seems to come easier with experience. I still require a lot more experience.  :D
MA  The Flying Circus
     Clown in training

FSO  JG11

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 01:00:54 PM »
Is there somewhere to get them serviced?   Mine doesn't seem to work too well. :uhoh

Judging E-state and direction of travel (when the con is still not much more than a dark blob), seems to come easier with experience. I still require a lot more experience.  :D

Its practice, to become a true ace you gotta be able to judge more then one con in the area, throw for example a n1k2, Fw190d9, P51-D in the equasion thats where generally skill and practice takes over.

Been flying many years I still have trouble keeping track of everyone's E state and what not, you just basically got to practice. Flying a me109 all the time gave me great Situational awareness, but keeping track of targets I tend to lose them alot of time and thats where I have been picked off.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 01:45:09 PM »
Plane type, alt differential and what each of you are doing are the biggest clues.  If there's a Jug 5K overhead flying straight and level you can bet he has an E advantage.  If that same Jug is 5K below on the deck turning you can bet he doesn't.

Regardless, it really doesn't matter until you engage.  Then it really only matters in who's going to have the initial vertical advantage; who is going to be able to out-climb who and for how long or who's going to be able to run faster on the deck (unless of course you're so slow you can't even roll your lift vector). 

At the point of engagement judging E states is pretty easy.  Who's closing on who?  Who's turn rate is better?  Who's got the vertical advantage?  More important at this point is understanding how much E each plane retains or scrubs in specific maneuvers and what advantage/disadvantage that gives you. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:50:32 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 01:48:51 PM »
You learn to recognize the closing distance rate, and their initial altitude.  It's only learned through experience because there is no real formula.  Basically when I get jumped by an enemy airplane I watch how fast he closes in on me and that determines my actions.  You have to also be quick to notice if they throttle down or not because that might leave you hanging dry.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
Remember that E is split between two parts- potential and kinetic.

Kinetic (i.e. how fast is this guy? ) Use closure rate to judge.

Potential is a bit different- The straight vanilla answer is altitude=potential energy, but there's more to it then that.   Take his a/c type into consideration, and compare it to yours.  The differences between them, put in a level environment, will give you a road map to what his strengths/weaknesses are compared to yours.   Thus, given equal speeds and altitudes, you may find yourself at an e-disadvantage.

Then, all it is is a matter of getting into his head, and forcing him to fight the fight he can't fight and win. ;)

"You rebel scum"