Author Topic: Stat padding in the less populated LWM  (Read 3651 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Stat padding in the less populated LWM
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 01:43:44 PM »
Why have a score system if it doesn't really work in the 1st place, why just not have stats page and be done with it ?:aok
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:45:31 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 02:16:14 PM »
Why have a score system if it doesn't really work in the 1st place, why just not have stats page and be done with it ?:aok

Because some folks need an artificial incentive to keep playing.  If anything it's a security blanket for some people.  They need the recognition.  It's the same as the guy who flies past a 1 v 1 on his way to the vulch.  The 1 v 1 is something he's fearful of losing, so he heads for something he knows he can do with a minimum risk, which is vulching a field.  He then flies back and gets his 'attaboys' for landing his 6 vulches and believe's he's a cartoon fighter pilot :)

The greater challenge and a better indicator of his cartoon flying ability would have been the 1v1, but there is no visible 'attaboy' for losing a 1v1 or even winning it if that's the only kill.  A lot of folks need that visible indicator, artificial or not, to keep them motivated and believing they are succeeding.

What you hope is they get past it and find the challenge and satisfaction within the game for other reasons beyond artificial visible recognition from the masses.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 02:33:27 PM »

Because it's a game and games always have either scores, or some other means of determining a "winner".
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 03:37:08 PM »
Because it's a game and games always have either scores, or some other means of determining a "winner".
1) The winner is the one who is left standing after fighting another person / persons.

2) You can only win if the sides were even or you were out-numbered. If you have the numbers advantage, you can have fun and you can get the kill but you don't win.

3) If you kill a building, you can have fun but you don't win.

4) If your side "wins" the war and #2 applies, you reset the map, earned a few perks (hint - you can earn more in the same amount of time by fighting!) but you didn't win.

5) The only person who knows you won is you and the person you fought. Maybe a few around you. Do that enough times and you will earn some respect.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 06:51:34 PM »

....and we have a winner!!!! :rock
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 07:01:54 PM »
...snip...

5) The only person who knows you won is you and the person you fought. Maybe a few around you. Do that enough times and you will earn some respect.

Regards,

Hammer

Path to gameplay respect that makes the most sense to me.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »
1) The winner is the one who is left standing after fighting another person / persons.

2) You can only win if the sides were even or you were out-numbered. If you have the numbers advantage, you can have fun and you can get the kill but you don't win.

3) If you kill a building, you can have fun but you don't win.

4) If your side "wins" the war and #2 applies, you reset the map, earned a few perks (hint - you can earn more in the same amount of time by fighting!) but you didn't win.

Regards,

Hammer

Good points, but to me you are a winner if you are having fun while playing the game.
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2008, 09:45:21 PM »
It's always been a Joke, but nothing to make a thread about. Let those that want a high score do there thing. It's not hurting anyone and I always wonder why people care.
I.E., lay off my squaddies, lol j/k :lol

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2008, 10:15:14 PM »
I.E., lay off my squaddies, lol j/k :lol

OK...but that means I will have to focus all my attention on you then...LOL..

you ready for that?   :D :D

edit: or did you mean my scorepotato squadies....Yeah there lamers....LOL    :lol
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:17:24 PM by SFCHONDO »
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2008, 07:18:24 AM »
Good points, but to me you are a winner if you are having fun while playing the game.
These are the words of one who is enlightened and at peace with one's self (probably from staring at your avatar!). Those lost on the path to enlightenment think you must "win" to have fun.

Much like Buddhism, the path to enlightenment in AH is filled with many deaths and rebirths as a new cartoon plane.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2008, 07:22:15 AM »

:lol

This isn't Space Invaders with your initials on the machine at the corner shop. 

<S>...-Gixer

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2008, 08:36:33 AM »

I'n not saying this is right or wrong.  Just stating a fact.  Name a game where there is no score and/or no mechanism for determining a winner.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008, 08:39:14 AM »
hi
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 08:41:36 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2008, 08:58:09 AM »
hi

Why did you edit your post?  I saw it before you did.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2008, 09:15:02 AM »
I'n not saying this is right or wrong.  Just stating a fact.  Name a game where there is no score and/or no mechanism for determining a winner.

As a game I consider this to be a role playing game. Except instead of increasing your characters ability through levels/score like WoW you are improving your own personal skills & abilities with and against other players. AH is all about interaction with others and how you choose to do it. And that is something that can't be gauged by any score mechanism.

So as far as naming a game, I'd name this one. The score aspect is just here for the "gamers" to entertain themselves.

Anyway, that's how I've always looked at it.

<S>...-Gixer