Author Topic: Graphics  (Read 979 times)

Offline SKYGUNS

• Nickel Member
Graphics
« on: July 11, 2008, 07:01:07 AM »
I have every thing set to max with the texture pack. Is there any way i can improve my realism and graphics even more? :confused:

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
Re: Graphics
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:11:05 AM »
Build one of these.

And find one of these.

At some point you may find this not feasible. At that point you will realize this game is only going to get so good as far as the graphics and realism go.  Sounds like you are getting about all you are going to get out of it.
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 09:19:37 AM »
i hear the airforce has a really cool flight sim, but it will cost you a fortune!

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:39:18 AM »
i hear the airforce has a really cool flight sim, but it will cost you a fortune!
Or just years of commitment.  ;)
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 04:33:41 PM »
Aces High has no built in AA, so if you force AA on your through your graphics card (the drivers come with a control panel) it makes AH look a lot better.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 04:53:25 PM »
Or just years of commitment.  ;)

And possibly your life, never forget that. No guarantees.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 12:52:42 AM »
I have every thing set to max with the texture pack. Is there any way i can improve my realism and graphics even more? :confused:
          sorry htc has to cater to all the low end systems also :O
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 07:38:12 AM »
          sorry htc has to cater to all the low end systems also :O

Just how low a spec do they have to cater for? AH graphics haven't changed significantly since I first started 8 years ago. Even most of the same maps are still in circulation.

<S>...-Gixer
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 07:39:54 AM by Gixer »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 11:02:08 AM »
Just how low a spec do they have to cater for? AH graphics haven't changed significantly since I first started 8 years ago. Even most of the same maps are still in circulation.

<S>...-Gixer
I have to call BS on that one.  AH2's graphics are significantly in advance of AH1's, even when just talking about terrain.  Yes, there are legacy issues from AH1 in the terrain, particularly in the large scale terrain features.  But in the finer details AH2 is much better and the newer aircraft, v2.01 and above, are MUCH better.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 12:54:35 PM »
There is a fine line when chosing between graphics detail and game play.  If the detail was much higher, you would have a lot more people warping. This would screw up the game play.  Once over the eye candy the detail isn't noticed much anyhow.  I don't care about the detail of the trees etc because I'm not here for sight seeing.  That's what FSX is for.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 04:55:10 AM »
I have to call BS on that one.  AH2's graphics are significantly in advance of AH1's, even when just talking about terrain.  Yes, there are legacy issues from AH1 in the terrain, particularly in the large scale terrain features.  But in the finer details AH2 is much better and the newer aircraft, v2.01 and above, are MUCH better.

The key word Karnak is Significant. Yes I agree there have been many improvements but not significant ones. It's all been a very long slow evolution rather then revolution. When AH2 was released it was a suprise that it looked almost the same as AH1 even including the same maps.

The only terrain updates have been to the textures themselves,base layouts,more barns,trees,hedges, windmalls etc. The actual Terrain Mesh detail and Landclass is the same. E.g we still get the mass tile effect from alt as we did with AH1. There are still no clouds, or any variance at all in the weather.

With AH2 an entirely new engine or something was expected, so it wasn't to be but that's ok we can wait. However we are now pushing towards 2010 with basically the same engine from AH1 with updates.  I know AH builds the game to work on low spec machines, but really the average low spec machine has moved on since 1Ghz P4's and Graphics cards with 128mb of ram. Just as it has with download restriction sizes of 120mb and dialups. It would be interesting to run a poll to see just what the average customer PC specs are. 

Thankfully the gameplay itself and mates is what makes it and I'll take that over eye candy. But it's not easy introducing new players based on this alone, they expect eye candy as well.

<S>...-Gixer
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 05:10:34 AM by Gixer »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 08:30:28 AM »
Ya might want to check this thread ... http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,77265.0.html

---------------------------------------------------

What is AH2?

AH2 is the next generation of AH.  It’s a massive overhaul of our existing game engine with many new and updated systems including graphics, terrain, physics, and damage.  The version number will jump from the current 1.11 to 2.00 when AH2 is released.

Will the system requirements increase for AH2?

Yes.  Our benchmark system for AH2 is roughly a PIII 900 with a GeForce 2.    That is the design limit we are using for nice playability.   The minimum system will fall under that, but we won’t be able to give specifics until we get further down the development and testing road.  The new graphics engine in AH2 will be much more video card dependent, so even if you have a slower CPU, a better video card may be all you need to upgrade.

------------------------------------------------------------------
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 10:42:55 AM »
In a lot of games with great graphics you have the ability to turn graphic details, effects, etc. on/off/up/down to accomodate a wide variety of systems.

It's much more difficult in AH, where doing so might create an advatage, as was evidenced by the "those cheaters turn down object detail to see you from 5 miles away" whines about the GV's awhile back.  This was immediately followed by a rash of "my frame rates took a serious hit" posts in the tech support forum when HT "fixed" the problem by forcing higher ground detail.

I'd venture to guess that HT has a pretty good idea as to what types of systems are running this game.  Personally, I think the graphics are fine as a balance between eye candy, playability and HT's balance of his subscriber base.

In the end, if you don't like it, go play somewhere else.  I'll be staying.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 06:31:39 AM »
In the end, if you don't like it, go play somewhere else.  I'll be staying.

Obviously you missed the part in my thread about being in it for the gameplay and mates, over graphics to fit in your remark. And if the graphics stay the same for another 5 years you might find that your the only one staying.

Slapshot, yes I read that thread when it first came out. Not sure why you linked to it..  Are you still waiting for ToD?

"Our benchmark system for AH2 is roughly a PIII 900 with a GeForce 2" C'mon guys, that was FIVE years ago! An eternity for PC tech.. And even then that was a low PC spec.

<S>...-Gixer
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 06:34:43 AM by Gixer »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 10:34:35 AM »
Obviously you missed the part in my thread about being in it for the gameplay and mates, over graphics to fit in your remark. And if the graphics stay the same for another 5 years you might find that your the only one staying.

Slapshot, yes I read that thread when it first came out. Not sure why you linked to it..  Are you still waiting for ToD?

"Our benchmark system for AH2 is roughly a PIII 900 with a GeForce 2" C'mon guys, that was FIVE years ago! An eternity for PC tech.. And even then that was a low PC spec.

<S>...-Gixer

Personally, I could care less if ToD ever sees the light of day.

The impetus for me linking that thread was this ...

With AH2 an entirely new engine or something was expected, so it wasn't to be but that's ok we can wait. However we are now pushing towards 2010 with basically the same engine from AH1 with updates.

Showing that AH2 did come with a "new engine" and it's not the "same engine from AH1".
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."