Author Topic: Any Business Management Experts Here?  (Read 558 times)

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Any Business Management Experts Here?
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:29:09 AM »
I'm having a tough time with a lady that works for me with regard to her time & productivity/management skills...and I really don't want to lose her.  I want to help her improve in this area...as she's very talented at the rest of her duties.

I'm interested in locating a good..GREAT... "book on CD" covering time and people managemet and productivity skills...but something more than the stuff I read years ago as a young man ...ie: dale carnage, swim with the sharks, stuff....

Any links to books on CD covering this topic would be appreciated.

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
      • Strike Manufacturing Inc.
Re: Any Business Management Experts Here?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:34:55 AM »
I'm having a tough time with a lady that works for me with regard to her time & productivity/management skills...and I really don't want to lose her.  I want to help her improve in this area...as she's very talented at the rest of her duties.

I'm interested in locating a good..GREAT... "book on CD" covering time and people managemet and productivity skills...but something more than the stuff I read years ago as a young man ...ie: dale carnage, swim with the sharks, stuff....

Any links to books on CD covering this topic would be appreciated.

Are you going to try and change a woman :O Is this possible  :huh Got me I am interested  :rofl
"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"
You can be one but NOT both...

Fully Fledged Practising Atheist Bishop

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »
If she is really good at something that doesn't require speed or productivity I would suggest changing her job description and paying her accordingly. Or, set some realistic goals that she agrees to, and stick to those goals. I've found that the books and seminars are good for temporary motivation only. People who are not self starters need specific skills training and specific requirements to be really successful.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 11:51:15 AM »
She's my agency's corporate controller....been with me for 14 years and the product she puts out is perfect...and always on time...in balance...and she's aggressive with cost and expense cutting and waste.  the issue is she's working 14 hour days 6 days a week, and I think that's due to perfectionism more than anything else.  I've offered to get her an assistant controller...but she's content with a staff of two under her..both staff accountants more than anything else....

She's not complaining....but I don't want to see her burn out.  I do agree that those motivational books are temp fixes...but I really do think it's just a matter of her tweaking some of her efficiency habits.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 11:59:51 AM »
I'm assuming that you've discussed the issue with her already.  Some people are just happy working like that.  Flip side is I'll trade you a pair of knuckleheads who leave con trails out the door at 4:00 and a draft pick for her :)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 12:10:22 PM »
I'm assuming that you've discussed the issue with her already.  Some people are just happy working like that.  Flip side is I'll trade you a pair of knuckleheads who leave con trails out the door at 4:00 and a draft pick for her :)

duly noted.  like I said though.... I fear burn-out in people like this.  I've seen it before.  her role is almost irreplaceable. .as it's not just about bean counting.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 12:19:19 PM »
Sounds like a salaried position, so I'd just offer her comp time for all OT worked. Make it mandatory.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 12:22:18 PM »
duly noted.  like I said though.... I fear burn-out in people like this.  I've seen it before.  her role is almost irreplaceable. .as it's not just about bean counting.

I have two knuckleheads who leave vapor trails behind them at 4:00 pm. I'll trade you and throw in a draft pick ;) 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Stixx

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:14:56 PM »
I'll see your two knuckleheads and raise you one know it all.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in military aviation are:'Did you feel that?' 'What's that noise?' and'Oh S...!'
-Authors Unknown-

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 01:17:22 PM »
Nah I've got three of those :D

Offline Stixx

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 01:27:01 PM »
You're more than welcome to mine, I'll even pay shipping :lol
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in military aviation are:'Did you feel that?' 'What's that noise?' and'Oh S...!'
-Authors Unknown-

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 01:29:28 PM »
I'm assuming you're going to air seal the box and send them ground correct?

Offline Stixx

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 01:31:13 PM »
The scenic route of course :D
-Authors Unknown-

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 02:50:13 PM »
I'm not gettin' any audio cd links for this....am I ?  :frown:

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 02:56:41 PM »
Sorry man can't help you on this one but I understand your concern.