Author Topic: Any Business Management Experts Here?  (Read 557 times)

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: Any Business Management Experts Here?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 04:10:02 PM »
And on some bulletin board in another internet galaxy, a woman just posted that her boss is incredibly inefficient, wasting his days posting in thread after thread on a game bulletin board. What can she do to get him to take his work more seriously?  :D

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 04:11:30 PM »
 :rofl :rofl
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 04:45:37 PM »
America is the greatest country in the world!!

Offline Stixx

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 08:20:59 PM »
I'm not gettin' any audio cd links for this....am I ?  :frown:

Sorry man.

Your best bet is to just sit down and talk to this woman, let her know how much you value her work, how important she is to your organization, and how concerned you are about her burning herself out.  Suggest she take a week off to recharge her batteries. If she's that important to you spring for a small trip for her to a nearby spa or something.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in military aviation are:'Did you feel that?' 'What's that noise?' and'Oh S...!'
-Authors Unknown-

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 08:25:11 PM »
duly noted.  like I said though.... I fear burn-out in people like this.  I've seen it before.  her role is almost irreplaceable. .as it's not just about bean counting.

If she's been like this for 14 years. Its unlikely she is going to change now.
Equally unlikely she will burn out if she hasnt already done so.

Some people are just like that.
I have a brother in law like that both at work and at home. And you cant get him to ease up even a little bit.
Known him some 27 years and he's not changed a bit.

IMO you did the best thing by offering to get her some help. Just let her know you are willing to do it if the time comes she feels she needs it and leave that option open for her.

The only other option I see is just get her the help no matter if she feels she needs it or not.
but make it crystal clear to her that it isnt a poor reflection of her but out of your concern for her.

Otherwise she may take it as a slap that she isnt doing good enough. No matter how good you know shes doing
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 12:57:29 AM »
She's my agency's corporate controller....been with me for 14 years and the product she puts out is perfect...and always on time...in balance...and she's aggressive with cost and expense cutting and waste.  the issue is she's working 14 hour days 6 days a week, and I think that's due to perfectionism more than anything else.  I've offered to get her an assistant controller...but she's content with a staff of two under her..both staff accountants more than anything else....

She's not complaining....but I don't want to see her burn out.  I do agree that those motivational books are temp fixes...but I really do think it's just a matter of her tweaking some of her efficiency habits.

We had a controller like that years ago in a plant I worked at for awhile - she was there for about 15 years - very set in her ways - long hours- very dedicated

in about the 19th year - it was figured out that she had managed to skim approximately 3 million bucks over 10 or so years.... :O

get her an assistant is all I'm saying

:)

NwBie

Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 06:35:38 AM »
Holy crap, you have an employee that actually wants to show up and work!? Rare find now a days. Good for you man.
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 06:39:38 AM »
I'm having a tough time with a lady that works for me with regard to her time & productivity/management skills...and I really don't want to lose her.  I want to help her improve in this area...as she's very talented at the rest of her duties.

I'm interested in locating a good..GREAT... "book on CD" covering time and people managemet and productivity skills...but something more than the stuff I read years ago as a young man ...ie: dale carnage, swim with the sharks, stuff....

Any links to books on CD covering this topic would be appreciated.

"Danger in the Comfort Zone"  - Can't recall the Author.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

storch

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 06:56:08 AM »
no one is irreplacable.  furthermore one cannot without great effort change their own ways let alone effect change in others.  the job of a manager is not to change people but to pick people with the proper skills and temperament to accomplish the task at hand. 

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 07:01:10 AM »
no one is irreplacable.  furthermore one cannot without great effort change their own ways let alone effect change in others.  the job of a manager is not to change people but to pick people with the proper skills and temperament to accomplish the task at hand. 

In 20 years of Leading people I have found that to be the case indeed, 80% of the time.  The 80/20 rule seems to apply here more than anywhere else in my Leadership experience.  However, with some, Training and Education does indeed spark a change in behavior/ performance.  I have found investing in the few, that you see a true desire for increased performance from, to be worth it, most of the time, but certainly not always. 

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 04:58:33 PM »
Checklists...

What needs to be accomplished today/this week/this month...check off as they get done.

Also, an incentive bonus plan for performing above & beyond.  For example, if sales/production etc. are up 50% over same month last year--dangle a nice carrot.  If its up 100%, dangle a bigger carrot, etc.

Having a nice goal to shoot for is wonderful if you get a nice carrot.

ROX

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 07:01:45 PM »
Curious...does this same person never take holidays and regularly pops into the office on off hours?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain