Author Topic: Motorcycle Enthusiasts-Horrible Accident  (Read 2289 times)

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
Re: Motorcycle Enthusiasts-Horrible Accident
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2008, 05:25:29 AM »
Well the ones on the tracks are par for the course. If you don't come off every now and then you're not trying hard enough :D
The others well, I was cut off one night by a drunk driver and forced onto the verge, which unfortunately was soft mud so I lost the front end. I was knocked out that time for a few hours, unfortunately the guy didn't stop and I couldn't be seen in the culvert I stopped in. Lucky for me I didn't end up in a puddle.
The couple I could have died if it wasn't for the fact I was on a bike were:
I was hit from the front by a truck whose brakes had failed on a hill, it rolled back into me. I wasn't in a position to move in time so I stepped smartly off the bike and moved out of the way. After it rolled over my bike it went through the wall a few meters behind me. According to the Police, if I was in a car it may well have been in my lap. :O
The other one was where I hit a large patch of gravel on a hilly winding road (yeah I might have been going a tad quick, but then I probably would have been pushing it just as hard in the car... I love winding roads::D ) The bike went over the edge, I got a few bruises and a big timeout fixing the bike. I'm fairly sure that due to the size of the gravel patch (left over from a recent rock slide) it would have taken a car off the edge too.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 07:17:07 AM by SD67 »
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2008, 07:14:17 AM »
I've heard it from many a motorcyclist as to the types of motorcycle riders:

"those that have bailed, and those that are going to bail."

I'm still saving up a couple grand to get a used bike to start learning.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2008, 07:25:01 AM »
Yea stats show it all IMO...

I've witnessed a few wrecks in my time.. One was almost the same thing as this motorcycle crash..

I was sitting at a red light at a busy intersection, and a ford SUV with a bunch of teen girls (teen driver likely 16 to 17) are in the turn lane trying to turn across the traffic. There was a Big box van on the other side of the intersection tryi8ng to turn the other way. So the teens in the SUV couldn't see the traffic coming they intended to cross.

Whats the dumb girl do? Pulls out and tries to cross and gets T-Boned by a on coming car. I jumped out of my truck and went to help them almost instantly and luckily none of them were hurt. The girls in the SUV were just shaken up and the girl in the other car had a bloody nose from the air bag.

Speed limit was 45 mph on the street so it was a fairly high speed impact and they all walked away unharmed.

Another one that amazed me was a big 70's or 80's Ford LTD was speeding down a side street next to my house and didn't stop at a stop sign. The car ran into (T boned) a smaller front wheel drive import and literally ripped the whole front end off the import car (engine and all) and the big Ford LTD did about 4 barrel rolls down the street. was a crazy thing to witness.

Amazing enough the people in the compact car were unharmed (luckily the bigger car hit them on the front half). There were also 5 people in the LTD and none of them had their seat belt on but again amazingly enough none were seriously harmed. I'm betting they were doing about 50mph when they broadsided the smaller car.

So yea as others say lots of people die in car wrecks, but many walk away with almost no injuries. Yet almost no one in a motorcycle crash walks away with no injuries. Obviously people aren't gonna stop riding motorcycles, but IMO they are pretty crazy to ride them these days, with so much traffic out there.

yea, and people think those of us that fly are pretty crazy too. but guess what? we're NOT.

the accidents on bikes are more often than not the AUTOMOBILE drivers fault. like you mentioned in the beginnning of this post...teen girls. they have no clue what the vehicle they're driving is capable of, thanks in part to poor trianing, from the schools, and their parents.

in general, bikers are a pretty safe crowd, and pretty much a LOT more aware of what's going on around us in traffic than cage drivers. there are exceptions though. we also bring the added awareness into our cars when we drive them.

we know the risks we're taking, and no, none of you thatg think we shouldn't ride are gonna change our minds.......ooo......and i'd say that that old ltd accidetn stor is a bit of an excaggeration. no seatbelts and 5 rolls?? with 5 people in it, someone would definitly have been ejected. someone would definitly have gone through the windshield on impact too, as 70's cars weren't built to absorb impact like they are today.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2008, 09:30:07 AM »
Strange that a Ford product is mentioned. Around 1980 had to pick up the 2 pieces (split just behind the front seats) of a Ford (LTD iirc) one night that had been t-boned by another car (speed limit was 40mph) at a T intersection. Two of two dead in the Ford.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2008, 10:14:02 AM »
  the accidents on bikes are more often than not the AUTOMOBILE drivers fault. like you mentioned in the beginnning of this post...teen girls. they have no clue what the vehicle they're driving is capable of, thanks in part to poor trianing, from the schools, and their parents.

That is the exact point I'm making.. You can be the most careful person on a bike and still get killed because of some other moron. I'm not telling you not to ride a bike I'm just telling you, that you are crazy to ride a bike these days, with so much traffic.

If you drive a car yes there is a general amount of risk involved, but the risk is much less. In most cases it really takes a pretty big or a freak crash to kill someone in a car, not just a every day fender bender. On a bike with out a helmet it doesn't take much to seriously injure or kill the rider.

The specific fact is, when you are riding a bike, you are putting your life in the hands of others. In a car you also put your life in the hands of others especially if someone else is driving, however you have a better level of protection. It would be like the difference in going to war in Iraq with body armor or with out it. Sure both are putting you in a dangerous environment, but one allows for a little bit of extra protection that may save your life.

The worst part is if you ever do get in a bad wreck on a bike, you might not die.. A guy I used to work with, drove one of those late model subaru 4 wheel drive station wagons.. (I'm not sure what the model was) He carried a big fiberglass ladder on the roof (28ft) for the job that we did.

On his way to work one morning, there was a dog in the road on US1 and traffic stopped, he was at a dead stop and some guy on a motorcycle ran into the back of his car. The guy wasn't wearing a helmet and he hit the ladder with his head. His forehead actually hit the ladder's metal feet not sure what they are called but the part the ladder stands on when it's upright.

It put a hole in the dudes head and there was blood, parts of skull and brains on his car when he made it into work.. Was pretty sick stuff but the worst part is the rider actually lived but was severely brain damaged. One moment of not being on top of his game ruined the rest of that guy's life because he was on a bike and wasn't paying attention at the one min that really mattered. Sure he could have been injured in a car and maybe even hurt someone else, but I bet it wouldn't have been as severe.

I'm a risk taker myself, granted not as much as I used to be.. but most people that are risk takers tend to like to be in control of their risk. Jumping out of a airplane maybe be risky, but you won't find many people whom do it, that don't pack their own chutes and go out of their way to be as safe as possible while doing it. Pilots typically go out of their way to check their aircraft and have spent countless hours training to be able to do everything they can to be in control.

The deal is most risk takers go out of their way to make them selves as safe as possible and do everything they can to have control of their own lives unless they are reckless risk takers. Most people who ride motorcycles have a false sense of security in the fact they think they are taking their life in their own hands. The deal is, they aren't. Their life is in the hands of every driver they come in contact with while riding.

Again, you are in the same position while driving a car but you have much more protection.. So would you rather go to war in Iraq with body armor or with out it? Would you just consider you self a risk taker going to war with out protection or would you consider your self dumb for not using all the protection you could get?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 10:18:31 AM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2008, 10:57:15 AM »
There is a silver lining to increasing gas prices. Fewer cars make the streets safer for bikers. More people are riding motorcycles and scooters now also which I'm hoping will make them more motorcycle aware too.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2008, 11:14:46 AM »
That is the exact point I'm making.. You can be the most careful person on a bike and still get killed because of some other moron. I'm not telling you not to ride a bike I'm just telling you, that you are crazy to ride a bike these days, with so much traffic.

If you drive a car yes there is a general amount of risk involved, but the risk is much less. In most cases it really takes a pretty big or a freak crash to kill someone in a car, not just a every day fender bender. On a bike with out a helmet it doesn't take much to seriously injure or kill the rider.

The specific fact is, when you are riding a bike, you are putting your life in the hands of others. In a car you also put your life in the hands of others especially if someone else is driving, however you have a better level of protection. It would be like the difference in going to war in Iraq with body armor or with out it. Sure both are putting you in a dangerous environment, but one allows for a little bit of extra protection that may save your life.

The worst part is if you ever do get in a bad wreck on a bike, you might not die.. A guy I used to work with, drove one of those late model subaru 4 wheel drive station wagons.. (I'm not sure what the model was) He carried a big fiberglass ladder on the roof (28ft) for the job that we did.

On his way to work one morning, there was a dog in the road on US1 and traffic stopped, he was at a dead stop and some guy on a motorcycle ran into the back of his car. The guy wasn't wearing a helmet and he hit the ladder with his head. His forehead actually hit the ladder's metal feet not sure what they are called but the part the ladder stands on when it's upright.

It put a hole in the dudes head and there was blood, parts of skull and brains on his car when he made it into work.. Was pretty sick stuff but the worst part is the rider actually lived but was severely brain damaged. One moment of not being on top of his game ruined the rest of that guy's life because he was on a bike and wasn't paying attention at the one min that really mattered. Sure he could have been injured in a car and maybe even hurt someone else, but I bet it wouldn't have been as severe.

I'm a risk taker myself, granted not as much as I used to be.. but most people that are risk takers tend to like to be in control of their risk. Jumping out of a airplane maybe be risky, but you won't find many people whom do it, that don't pack their own chutes and go out of their way to be as safe as possible while doing it. Pilots typically go out of their way to check their aircraft and have spent countless hours training to be able to do everything they can to be in control.

The deal is most risk takers go out of their way to make them selves as safe as possible and do everything they can to have control of their own lives unless they are reckless risk takers. Most people who ride motorcycles have a false sense of security in the fact they think they are taking their life in their own hands. The deal is, they aren't. Their life is in the hands of every driver they come in contact with while riding.

Again, you are in the same position while driving a car but you have much more protection.. So would you rather go to war in Iraq with body armor or with out it? Would you just consider you self a risk taker going to war with out protection or would you consider your self dumb for not using all the protection you could get?

STILL NOT CRAZY TO RIDE. i've dodged more people in cars while on my bike than i ever could have in my car. the lady that hit my mustang head on......had i been on my bike i know for fact that i could've dodged her. as good as my stang handled(and she handled like a slot car or rails) i couldn't.

crazy is playing frisbee in the freeway. jumping out of an airplane. flying your airplane at wavetop height alng the deleware. trusting what politicians say. golfing in a thunderstorm. building a house below sea level. building a house on stilts. running naked down your street.

crazy is NOT riding a motorcycle. it improves our skill in cars(those of us that ride that is). it gives those that dont wear helmets free snacks in the form of bugs and insects :D. it saves gas(always has, but much more important now).

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BluKitty

• Nickel Member
      • http://
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2008, 05:36:46 PM »
Actually, I think a huge problem is traffic light systems that have near no yellow light time, and immediately turn the counter moving traffic light green.  I've seen it in some places.  It's very irresponsible to configure a traffic light system that way.  I'm more than happy to sit waiting at a fully red light intersection for 5+ seconds to add a little extra safety.

That said.  The speeder should be changed with manslaughter.  Let a jury sort it out.  ...but the bikers should have looked both ways, and known to never trust others on the road.  Trusting a light and others was a fatal mistake.  Such a tragedy, that could have been avoided through diligence, even with a reckless driver at fault.  Sad to hear such a story.  :(

On the riding bikes note...
I know alot of folks who drive bikes.  They are smart men & women, and I hope this means they are cautious.  I wouldn't want to do it, but it is their passion.  There is actually a rule in my family (cousins, uncles, everyone).  You can ride a bike, but never while you are raising children.  So while some folks I know don't follow this, I really wish they would take an 18 year break, if you catch my drift.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 05:41:21 PM by BluKitty »

Offline BluKitty

• Nickel Member
      • http://
« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2008, 05:40:35 PM »
oops  Isn't there a way to delete posts anymore.  I didn't mean to double post.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 05:42:42 PM by BluKitty »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2008, 06:01:58 PM »
Actually, I think a huge problem is traffic light systems that have near no yellow light time, and immediately turn the counter moving traffic light green.  I've seen it in some places.  It's very irresponsible to configure a traffic light system that way.  I'm more than happy to sit waiting at a fully red light intersection for 5+ seconds to add a little extra safety.

That said.  The speeder should be changed with manslaughter.  Let a jury sort it out.  ...but the bikers should have looked both ways, and known to never trust others on the road.  Trusting a light and others was a fatal mistake.  Such a tragedy, that could have been avoided through diligence, even with a reckless driver at fault.  Sad to hear such a story.  :(

On the riding bikes note...

I know alot of folks who drive bikes.  They are smart men & women, and I hope this means they are cautious.  I wouldn't want to do it, but it is their passion.  There is actually a rule in my family (cousins, uncles, everyone).  You can ride a bike, but never while you are raising children.  So while some folks I know don't follow this, I really wish they would take an 18 year break, if you catch my drift.

i don't know about other places, but here in the PRNJ, most amber lights are 3 to 4 seconds long. thet's more than enough time to stop. even in philly, they're 2 to 3 seconds.

it's not the traffic light system, although it does appear as such, as you noted. more of the problem, is lack of respect for what is being driven. younger people aren't trained up to snuff, like us old guys n gals were. no one explains to them exactly how deadly the weapon that they're driving is. they don't have a clue how much it weighs, or how much stored energy it has when thye're driving, even at moderate speeds.

even amongst us older folk, there's a problem oc complacency.....you know, the ""i've been driving for XX years, and that can never happen to me"" kinda guys.

do you know how long it takes you to stop from 60mph in your car? timewise, and distancewise?

do you realize that at only 60mph you travel the length of a football field every 3 seconds?

cars on the road aren't the problem for us riders. the problem is poorly trained drivers.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2008, 07:27:46 PM »
There is a silver lining to increasing gas prices. Fewer cars make the streets safer for bikers. More people are riding motorcycles and scooters now also which I'm hoping will make them more motorcycle aware too.

This is happening in Aus too and it will improve things - a number of studies have shown that a driver is much more likely to be aware of motorcyclists if they ride themselves or have a close friend or family member who rides.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2008, 10:38:36 PM »
This is happening in Aus too and it will improve things - a number of studies have shown that a driver is much more likely to be aware of motorcyclists if they ride themselves or have a close friend or family member who rides.

exactly. people see what they want to see.....or expect to see.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"