Author Topic: Motorcycle Enthusiasts-Horrible Accident  (Read 2291 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Motorcycle Enthusiasts-Horrible Accident
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 12:32:49 AM »
If you saw these kids lying on the pavement begging for their lives maybe u would have a different opinion.  They will be with me for the rest of my life.

i've seen the immediate aftermath of a vanload of 12 having a head on wiht a semi......smoking bodies in the van after the fire went out and all. i've seen a fatal accident at front street in philly caused by racing.

i still drive, and i still race(although not on the strreet anymore),

now.......you might want to consider some sort of CISM(Critical Incident Stress Management), as it is VERY hard for the average person to deal with something like this.
 we use this in CAP all the time after SAR missions.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 12:37:19 AM »
I hope those kids will eventually be ok.  Dammit, they should have looked.. they should have looked.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 12:55:20 AM »
Running red lights seems to be a particular problem in the US. Seems some drivers consider them advisory rather than compulsory. And yes - driving tests are far far too easy.

That said, even with higher driving test standards in the UK, the percentage of imbeciles on the road seems about the same. Lets face it - most accidents are caused by things unlikely to ever be caught in a driving test scenario - inappropriate speed, inattention and bravado.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 03:52:58 AM »
Vudak,
I agree that most won't ever get any good at it, and that the age limit revision and curfews are token measures..  Speaking of which, if anything's nannyism, it's curfews.  The age limit change only makes sense if it's backed up by concrete evidence, such as its implementation affecting things for the best.  That can't be for sure unless they'd made only it change and everything else remain the same, though.
IMO the tests are too easy, too lax.  If tests truly are nannyism (BS, IMO), then we ought to get rid of them entirely.  Give everyone the right to drive cars... Obviously, that's nonsense.  The license tests are there for a good reason.  Is that reason done justice to?  IMO, no.  And that's not nannyism, anymore than a psych eval isn't in view of a firearms license issuance.  You ought to be able to deal with all the potential dangers on the road, which DO happen, and are as likely as not to happen when you don't expect them.
Everytime I come back to the US, driving on the highways makes me drowsy and apprehensive at the same time.  I dread that the 95% of drivers who drive like slugs on somnifers won't realise they're in an accident till it's already happened, and I also start to drone from the lack of anything happening.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 04:20:56 AM »
Thankfully here in Oz you need to prove proficiency before you can be licensed, and although there are some thorough donkeyrecesses driving that really shouldn't be, the testing procedures and initial restrictions are overall pretty effective.
I ride a bike, and I drive a cage. When I ride I assume everyone in a cage wants to kill me.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 06:04:21 AM »
Getting one's driving license (automobile) here in Ontario is a joke. Most of those today would fail the test that I had to take 40 years ago. Getting a motorcycle driving license is much harder. The nephew who had his car license for ~4 years failed his motorcycle test.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/index.html

I learned to drive on a bike and was the best thing I ever did as it taught me defensive driving. So far I have been accident free with both vehicles.

Advertising (going fast with handling) and the safety features in cars make car drivers think they are indestructible Andrettis.

storch

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 06:20:02 AM »
here we have many elderly drivers.  from time to time one manages to take out pedestrians or people waiting for buses.  maybe we should ban walking and bus stops as well.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 07:37:13 AM »
I hope those kids will eventually be ok.  Dammit, they should have looked.. they should have looked.

yea, they should have. when i'm on my bike, i'm watching the cross street traffic while i sit there. lets me see the guy tht's probably gonna try to run the light. hell, i do that in my car too. but then, i've been riding for 20 years, and driving for 27 or so........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 07:41:54 AM »
Laser I understand you can't help but kneejerk here, but you can't deny that some people don't deserve a dangerous tool.  Just as you don't let the legaly blind drive, you don't let the mentaly impotent handle 400lbs machines that do 0-60mph in a few blinks of the eye.

It's not a knee jerk reaction if I see the same thing happening time and time again.  Everytime something unfortunate happens, people let their emotions get the best of them and want to start banning things left and right.

I do agree that some people don't deserve a dangerous tool.  But given the law of diminishing returns, it will cost you more and more (money and freedom) exponentially to get the bad drivers off the road.

And it's like Eric Cartmen said on Southpark about Family Guy.  "If you get one episode pulled for ANY reason, then it is so much easier to get the next episode pulled.  Then the next.  Soon, anyone who even feels they've been slighted will ask for an episode to be pulled.  Soon, Family Guy will be cancelled!"
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 07:45:30 AM »
Running red lights seems to be a particular problem in the US. Seems some drivers consider them advisory rather than compulsory. And yes - driving tests are far far too easy.

That said, even with higher driving test standards in the UK, the percentage of imbeciles on the road seems about the same. Lets face it - most accidents are caused by things unlikely to ever be caught in a driving test scenario - inappropriate speed, inattention and bravado.

sometimes when i'm slow in the shop, i watch traffic at the intersection outside.
neither road at this intersection is considered a main road, although they are heavily traveled during rush hours.

at any time during the day, on average, 3.....that's THREE cars run that light. not blowing the amber light, but AFTER it's clearly red. that's completley ridiculous.

as for driver training, i think it could be better. a large part of the problem that compounds poor driver training, though is the formation of bad habits, and knowing that once you have your lisence, you have it.

they should look at the FAA and what you need to do to keep your pilots lisence. under the age of 40, you take a physical every 3 years. over 40, you take it every 2 years.

regardless of your age, you take a biannual test. min. one hour ground, and min. one hour practical(in the air).
drivers lisence requirements should emulate this, for everyone, regardless of age.
this would help prevent bad habits from forming. people knowing full well that they hae to pass a couple tests in 2 years or less will be more attentive to what they're doing.
 you know as well as me that 90% of the drivers out there would fail a drivers test if an instructor jumped in the car with them this morning without any warning to test them.
how many pilots can you say that about?

anyway.......

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 07:53:14 AM »
Laser,  I never said to ban anything. There doesn't need to be money spent on getting bad drivers off the road if they don't get on in the first place.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 08:05:57 AM »
a drunk drives through a redlight and hits a bunch of motorcycles and you question why they were riding bikes?? you should run for office here in massachusetts! our senators and Reps have the same mentality!!

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 08:14:12 AM »
It is also possible that had the riders not been wearing helmets,their increased peripheral and hearing might have prevented this.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 08:18:13 AM »
when the light turns green i make sure all cross traffic has stopped before i entire the danger zone. Riding a motorcycle gave me a new sense of defensive driving and SA.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 08:18:58 AM »
Perhaps everyone should spend some time on a bike before they get a car license?
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder