Author Topic: HELP me to kill Zeeks  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: HELP me to kill Zeeks
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 07:46:11 AM »
The Zero is about the only fighter I would ever advocate this:

Don't go out of your way to set it up, but if he insists on turning into you to force a HO than by all means take it. The guns are awful, (A6M5 is somewhat better with the 2x.50cal in the nose, but the ballistics and hitting power still don't come close the Spixteen's Brownings and Hispanos., and the 20mm are among the worst in the game) and Zekes fall apart if you so much as sneeze on them. Unless his aim is REALLY good, or he's just damn lucky, you'll get the best out of any HO situation.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 07:47:54 AM »

Don't go out of your way to set it up, but if he insists on turning into you to force a HO than by all means take it. The guns are awful, (A6M5 is somewhat better with the 2x.50cal in the nose, but the ballistics and hitting power still don't come close the Spixteen's Brownings and Hispanos., and the 20mm are among the worst in the game) and Zekes fall apart if you so much as sneeze on them. Unless his aim is REALLY good, or he's just damn lucky, you'll get the best out of any HO situation.

:rofl

There is always that too!  :aok

Seriously though, Sax is dead on.  Only a real new Zero pilot will give you that shot though, as any experienced one knows the wekness of going head to head in it.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 07:51:30 AM »
I will certainly look you up on this and the check will of course be in the post. Thanks for your continued support and I am looking forward to your return to knights. I am surprised I never run into you in the MA or gwurzel or any of the rest of your squad.

We don't usually target Knights when on Rook because the Bish usually have the most numbers.  Some rooks shy away to pick on the poor nits from both sides but we go where the red is.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 07:54:12 AM »
Stay fast, get above them, use roll to defeat their turn speed.  Dive away if you get in trouble.

all works, except for the dive away i think? i've had zekes stay right with me to well over 400. i've stayed with enemies to almost that, but i normally pull off as i suspect they're dragging me low for their friends......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 08:03:07 AM »

So there is an easy answer  :aok I don t get much HO practice now ive decided to be a student of proper acm but here is a chance for a bit of nostalgia.   
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 08:32:37 AM »
It isnt so much about defeating the zeke that is harming you, but rather you not using the uber Spit16 to its best ability (or any plane) and not allowing the zeke to dictate the battle to you.  I am no expert or top notch pilot, but one of the first things any pilot should do when facing an enemy is take a snapshot of the planes and they both (or more) can and cant do well.  That is a bigger part of the battle than some will admit to, some guys even vouch for a %90-pilot/%10-plane which is BIGTIME BS.  If that were true, we'd see far more SpitI/V, P40B/E, 109E/F, HurricaneI, and any other lesser used less-than-stellar aircraft in the game.   

IMO... dont even try to go slow and low and turn with the A6Mx, not in anything.  The A6Mx is king of the slowlowturn game.  Even in a SpitI/V or Hurricane I/IIc or even another zeke, I will do my best to keep the battle going at angles and verticle.  The zeke's best attribute is turning, it doesnt climb, extend, roll, or dive all that well.  Remember that.

Oh... and I will also vouch for taking the HO if the zeke pilot challenges you to a game of chicken.   ;)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 09:56:12 AM »
I totally dominated two Zeke 5's (one at a time but on the same sortie) last week in a Spit XVI.

Keep your speed up.  Use the vertical.  Reverse at between 1-1.5K and keep the prssure on.  Diving slashing attacks will keep them chasing thier tails on the deck and you'll totally control the fight.  Then it's just a matter of time until you get the shot that finishes them off.

As to what saxman said, yes, the HO is an option in this fight.  I took out the second one on, not a HO, but a near HO deflection shot.  Another advantage to the vertical fight is that if the Zeke goes nose high to meet you, he's losing speed and stability (read wobbly nose) while you're gaining speed and stability for the shot.

An interesting side note is that both Zekes fought very differently.  The first kept giving me his tail and break-turning as I closed for the shot.  The second kept turning into me trying to get nose to nose.  In the end, both were easily dealt with.

Oh... one last thing.  If you both have alt and you get in trouble just dive away.  Zekes can't handle speed.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 10:02:02 AM »
all works, except for the dive away i think? i've had zekes stay right with me to well over 400. i've stayed with enemies to almost that, but i normally pull off as i suspect they're dragging me low for their friends......

A Zeke can do 400 mph in a dive.  The problem is that once they are at that speed they can't pull out well or roll at all.  In fact, in a high speed dive in the A6M2 the plane acually yaws to one side and you have to use ailerons and rudder to correct it to keep it flying straight.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »
I totally dominated two Zeke 5's (one at a time but on the same sortie) last week in a Spit XVI.

Keep your speed up.  Use the vertical.  Reverse at between 1-1.5K and keep the prssure on.  Diving slashing attacks will keep them chasing thier tails on the deck and you'll totally control the fight.  Then it's just a matter of time until you get the shot that finishes them off.

As to what saxman said, yes, the HO is an option in this fight.  I took out the second one on, not a HO, but a near HO deflection shot.  Another advantage to the vertical fight is that if the Zeke goes nose high to meet you, he's losing speed and stability (read wobbly nose) while you're gaining speed and stability for the shot.

An interesting side note is that both Zekes fought very differently.  The first kept giving me his tail and break-turning as I closed for the shot.  The second kept turning into me trying to get nose to nose.  In the end, both were easily dealt with.

Oh... one last thing.  If you both have alt and you get in trouble just dive away.  Zekes can't handle speed.

Thanks this makes it all sound allot easier. I guess you kept a strong E advantage throughout and the reverse at 1.5 I will definatley try.  
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 10:08:44 AM »
A Zeke can do 400 mph in a dive. 

Isn't the skin on the wings supposed to start wrinkling around ~350?

I think our Zekes, especially the A6M2, are very difficult to handle at speeds over 350, where they should be IMPOSSIBLE to handle.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:12:24 AM by BnZ »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 10:12:06 AM »
A Zeke can do 400 mph in a dive.  The problem is that once they are at that speed they can't pull out well or roll at all.  In fact, in a high speed dive in the A6M2 the plane acually yaws to one side and you have to use ailerons and rudder to correct it to keep it flying straight.

now on that....when i had a zeke stay with me, i think i was in a hurri2......and he matched whatever moves i did.
when i was in the zeke at that speed, i did notice the poor control response, but like i said i tend to not follow a con too far down as i've been jumped that way. suddenly, a 1-1 becomes a 3-1.

the yaw in the dive.....i've noticed that on most single engine models at speed. i correct with rudder, as that re-centers my turn and slip indicator.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 10:19:05 AM »

2) maintain your spiral climb which will eventually put you above the a6m allowing you to control the fight.

Great "how to" right here.  If you get impatient and wind up on a level plane with him with not much distance between the two of you, that's bad mojo.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 10:31:22 AM »
One last thing Yarbles; the beauty of the Spit XVI is that it's got some sort of advantage against every other plane in the plane-set.  Against the faster planes you can play the tnb game and against the dedicated tnbers you can play the energy game.

The differences get a little more subtle among that large group of mid-tier fighters but if you know their strengths and weaknesses, the XVI still has useable advantages.

It's why those who face off against it seem to hate the XVI and why those who fly it love it.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 10:48:51 AM »
One last thing Yarbles; the beauty of the Spit XVI is that it's got some sort of advantage against every other plane in the plane-set.  Against the faster planes you can play the tnb game and against the dedicated tnbers you can play the energy game.

The differences get a little more subtle among that large group of mid-tier fighters but if you know their strengths and weaknesses, the XVI still has useable advantages.

It's why those who face off against it seem to hate the XVI and why those who fly it love it.

Agreed about the last part and thanks generally. Fortunately people hate the 16 and wont fly it as if everyone flew it it would be perked I suppose. I loathe the la7 as I think it has too many advantages with that level of speed and man overability. Its biggest weakness's  I believe it had weaknesses in the shape of unreliability, inconsistency in manufacturing and a tendency to fall apart not modelled in the game but that's just what I think.

Anyway I am ready for a re match now.

I plan to build height and E generally initially.

Making slashing style attacks including head ons.

maintain e and altitude advantages diving in and pulling out

and re engage at separation 1500 when and where i have a vertical advantage.

If the Zeke dives after me and we get to over 375 I will attempt to re engage quickly while he is without control should the opportunity arise.

What do you or anyone think. Have I got it?         
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:02:57 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 11:36:23 AM »
Isn't the skin on the wings supposed to start wrinkling around ~350?

I think our Zekes, especially the A6M2, are very difficult to handle at speeds over 350, where they should be IMPOSSIBLE to handle.
Apparently that was overstated.  Zero pilots were not afraid to dive to higher speeds than 350, and one of the big changes to the A6M5 series was 600lbs more aluminium in the skin.

The heavy controls really were an issue though.

And yes, our A6M2 dives to speeds that are too high, but it wasn't quite as bad as you were saying.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-