Author Topic: HELP me to kill Zeeks  (Read 3546 times)

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: HELP me to kill Zeeks
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 11:54:11 AM »
Rgr Karnak.

All our planes in AHII seem to handle speed better than I would have expected, in terms of control authority and structure. I've read that even the P-51D was a "two hander" on the stick over 400mph

I can't vouch for what is the most accurate of course, not owning a fleet of warbirds and all. From a gaming exploit, I can tell you that good/poor handling at ~300mph IAS would constitute an advantage/disadvantage, in our sims, since our aircraft can conceivably reach those speeds in level flight or very slight dives. Most all of our aircraft seem to handle well up to 400mph IAS at least, which makes the controllability thing less of an issue. You are so limited by blackouts at that speed anyway that it often hardly matters. As I see it, because of this good handling in dives isn't much of an advantage in AHII, except for running away, or in the rare case where the bandit is inexperienced enough with his plane to try and follow and augers. 

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 12:54:08 PM »
Assuming you won't have much of an E advantage to work with you must fully exploit the only marked advantages you have, roll-rate and climb-rate. This means vertical scissors are your best bet. The zeke can out-turn you but your roll-rate will allow you to actually change you angle of attack more quickly. So, get into a vertical scissors with him and don't be shy about taking any forward quarter snap-shot that presents itself.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:49:28 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 05:16:48 PM »
Yarbles, as long as you don't get into a sustained turn contest with them, the spit 16 holds all the cards: its faster, its tougher, it climbs better, it accelerates better, it dives better, has better guns, rolls better.
So your question is not so much 'how do i beat zeeks in a spit 16?', but more 'how do i beat an aircraft which has a superior sustained turn rate?' The answer (and the anwser in nearly all cases) is simply to use your aircrafts strengths against your opponents weaknesses.
How do you use your:
 - speed? make them chase ya a bit. This will build you an energy margin to use against them.
 - toughness? HO em, dive to insane speeds etc.
 - climb and acceleration? force the fight into a series of constant slow down and accelerate/climb phases, which will maxmise your acceleration advantage and build an E margin for you to use against them.
 - dive? make the bastige chase ya down into a mad dive. He'll either fall to peices trying, auger, or simply loose E cause they can't get the speed you can out of it or loose control and take too long to pull out.
 - better guns? HO em.
 - Roll rate - scissor fights.

Lots of options :)
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 07:55:41 AM »
Yarbles, as long as you don't get into a sustained turn contest with them, the spit 16 holds all the cards: its faster, its tougher, it climbs better, it accelerates better, it dives better, has better guns, rolls better.
So your question is not so much 'how do i beat zeeks in a spit 16?', but more 'how do i beat an aircraft which has a superior sustained turn rate?' The answer (and the anwser in nearly all cases) is simply to use your aircrafts strengths against your opponents weaknesses.
How do you use your:
 - speed? make them chase ya a bit. This will build you an energy margin to use against them.
 - toughness? HO em, dive to insane speeds etc.
 - climb and acceleration? force the fight into a series of constant slow down and accelerate/climb phases, which will maxmise your acceleration advantage and build an E margin for you to use against them.
 - dive? make the bastige chase ya down into a mad dive. He'll either fall to peices trying, auger, or simply loose E cause they can't get the speed you can out of it or loose control and take too long to pull out.
 - better guns? HO em.
 - Roll rate - scissor fights.

Lots of options :)

Next time we meet lets practice some of this :aok :salute
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 02:23:17 PM »
I spend way to much time in zekes and what I find is most times people who BnZ or extend don't go far enough out. If you dropping on me from alt I can usually easily dodge and and match your path and build speed. Then I (usually) see the turn up at about 1.5 out. A zeke can be controled right up to 400, it may not want to turn at all but if your merely extending away, it doesn't matter. As I've now matched course and am building speed, the second you maneuver in any direction, I'm gaining on you again. As I'm following, my turn to match isn't as steep and, again, I'm gaining. I usually win these at the top of the pull out where my speed has been gained back and misjudged and I just crawl right up someone's butt. A zeke isn't as poor a climber as it's made out to be and if it is in a low fuel state, it climbs well. NEVER EVER HO in a zeke, It's suicidal. Don't turn fight against one. That said, any zeke pilot that has half a functioning brain cell knows what's going on and works to negate the tactics used against it.

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 04:04:09 PM »
One thing that I employ when in a BnZ mode vs superior breaking and turning planes is to fake an attack forcing a break, pull high yo-yo and come around on em.  Couple things happen here, they may lose you (your supposed to be here but your not hmm), they are depleting their E with the break, they will not be as quick on the subsequent break once they find you and your E is still superior.  Your following attack should be quick and hate filled =), shoot to kill. :devil

I find that with someone that flys great D, it can become a stalemate.  So I choose to change my tactics and this is one of my favorites.  After a couple breaks, they are getting in a rythem and a feined attack may keep them in that rythem for an easy kill.

Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2008, 10:52:55 PM »
One thing that I employ when in a BnZ mode vs superior breaking and turning planes is to fake an attack forcing a break, pull high yo-yo and come around on em.  Couple things happen here, they may lose you (your supposed to be here but your not hmm), they are depleting their E with the break, they will not be as quick on the subsequent break once they find you and your E is still superior.  Your following attack should be quick and hate filled =), shoot to kill. :devil

I find that with someone that flys great D, it can become a stalemate.  So I choose to change my tactics and this is one of my favorites.  After a couple breaks, they are getting in a rythem and a feined attack may keep them in that rythem for an easy kill.

hhmm.....i thinkn i did pretty well agianst ya a couple months ago :D

i was the zeke over one of the coastal bases that equalized alts........ :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2008, 08:53:14 PM »
I didn't read all the posts and I'm sure there are some good ones but here's my answer to the question.

Don't turn with them B&Z them or extend away in any direction to get separation and try again.

OR, you could just fight fire with fire.

The FM2 and hurri do well against them too..... maybe even a spit 5

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 11:58:06 PM »
I didn't read all the posts and I'm sure there are some good ones but here's my answer to the question.

Don't turn with them B&Z them or extend away in any direction to get separation and try again.

OR, you could just fight fire with fire.

The FM2 and hurri do well against them too..... maybe even a spit 5

i haven't fought an fm2 while in a zeke, but i have fought hurris.......hurricanes, unless they get a good front angle shot at me, or ho me, or stay fast, will go down in flames. hurris from my experience will not turn with a zeke.
 i had a guy in a f4f was able to keep me from gaining any advantages on him, but he was also keeping his nose down......

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 10:22:30 AM »
i haven't fought an fm2 while in a zeke, but i have fought hurris.......hurricanes, unless they get a good front angle shot at me, or ho me, or stay fast, will go down in flames. hurris from my experience will not turn with a zeke.
 i had a guy in a f4f was able to keep me from gaining any advantages on him, but he was also keeping his nose down......

An FM2/Hurri can easily stay with a Zeke ... until the Zeke gets down to a speed where it can deploy flaps ... once that happens, they might be able to hang in for a couple of turns and hopefully get the angle and a shot ... after that point ... the Zeke will own both of them.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 10:40:32 AM »
An FM2/Hurri can easily stay with a Zeke ... until the Zeke gets down to a speed where it can deploy flaps ... once that happens, they might be able to hang in for a couple of turns and hopefully get the angle and a shot ... after that point ... the Zeke will own both of them.

really? i don't thinki've ever used flaps in a fight against a hurri.........and if i'm not upping for base defense, i keep my drop tank there till it feels like i'm being outturned by whatever i'm fighting.

not tryin to question ya, as i know you've been here a lot longer than me.......just curious.....
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2008, 11:28:57 AM »
really? i don't thinki've ever used flaps in a fight against a hurri.........and if i'm not upping for base defense, i keep my drop tank there till it feels like i'm being outturned by whatever i'm fighting.

And this is exactly why I'm able to kill zero after zero while flying a Hurricane I. Most Zero pilots are so overconfident (I can outturn everything with ease) that they stop really trying. They think they just have to pull on stick a bit to clear the situation... they are getting lazy... and dead.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 11:45:39 AM »
i just hold matches to them.
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 12:03:30 PM »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2008, 12:15:58 PM »
And this is exactly why I'm able to kill zero after zero while flying a Hurricane I. Most Zero pilots are so overconfident (I can outturn everything with ease) that they stop really trying. They think they just have to pull on stick a bit to clear the situation... they are getting lazy... and dead.

well, i don't really view myself as overconfident. i go into every fight assuming i've got someone like you in the other plane. this way, i don't do the over confidence thing.

i don't just pull either. i'm not  a god shot, so once i aquire a planes six, i simply follow him through his maneuvers till he gives me a good shot. i don't fire in a zeke unless i'm fairly sure that i'm gonna hit him.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"