Author Topic: A look at our game, a suggestion  (Read 2888 times)

Online Max

• Platinum Member
Re: A look at our game, a suggestion
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 10:23:37 AM »
This maybe so, but however we all know countless vets of AH have left because of the game being nothing new...

Seems like every time I read a "I'm leaving the game" post, six months later I'm reading a "Hi, I'm back" post :D

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 10:46:09 AM »
I like the game the way it is. Most of the , so called, problems have nothing to do with the way the game is structured.

One of the great strengths of the game is that imagination is really the controlling factor. You can do a lot of different things with a lot of different vehicles, and with a lot of different people. Even after a year I sometimes feel like a kid in a candy store. I lean towards a WW-ll orientated game, at least in plane sets. But its kinda cool that you can meet any kind of plane as an adversary. The truth is the state of the game today is the best mix for everybody. There is really somthing for everybody.

Only changes I'd like to see, besides a level Soviet bomber :D, is more Maps and perma squelch in the game and the forum.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 11:54:35 AM »
  All we really need is new maps that would reflect WW2 battlegrounds, desert maps,  the ardennes,  pacific theater stuff. I mean come on guys, how hard would it be to super impose google earth screenshots.  How about a few burnt out tanks, or burning towns, trenches etc..  The only thing this game and WW2 have in common are the planes. 

Believe it or not, building maps is a long and tedious process with little reward for your accomplishment except bringing something new to the community. Add to that the fact that HTC must vigorously test all player submitted maps to make sure they don't break the MA.

If a community member does get a new map into the rotation we should all give him a large vote of thanks for the effort.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008, 12:15:04 PM »
The only thing this game and WW2 have in common are the planes. 

And that's all the game and history should have in common.  It's already been said by myself and others, this game was never meant to be a game to recreate World War II.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 12:56:17 PM »
*yawn*
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 01:32:03 PM »
Believe it or not, building maps is a long and tedious process with little reward for your accomplishment except bringing something new to the community. Add to that the fact that HTC must vigorously test all player submitted maps to make sure they don't break the MA.

If a community member does get a new map into the rotation we should all give him a large vote of thanks for the effort.

add to that the fact that the map must be 3 way symmetrical or people who hurl feces and cry because its "unfair"

people actually oppose the idea of adding WIND and the argument you get.. believe it or not is...  "if the wind was blowing north to south, and the bish were in the north and rooks in the south, it would be unfair because the bish would have a tail wind and the rooks a head wind"    :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2008, 01:46:32 PM »
First off there are 2 kinds of AH pilots. Those who get very good very fast, and burnout and leave inside of 2 years.

And those who's rise is slower, who get involved with squadrons, events, and stay for years, and years.

SRI Ghosth....there is a 3rd. Those that have been there, done that and just want to have fun now. There are a lot more of them around that some folks might think. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008, 01:51:35 PM »
add to that the fact that the map must be 3 way symmetrical or people who hurl feces and cry because its "unfair"

people actually oppose the idea of adding WIND and the argument you get.. believe it or not is...  "if the wind was blowing north to south, and the bish were in the north and rooks in the south, it would be unfair because the bish would have a tail wind and the rooks a head wind"    :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

...and you know all of this because??

A generally symmetrical map promotes good game play. It's never been the "end all, be all" in making or breaking a new map. BTW, the pooh flingers are more likely to go after field layouts and distances than symmetry.

In point of fact, the guy that opposes wind is the guy that created it. In his opinion, it takes more away from the game than it brings.

You might want to stop by the gift shop and check out the large selection of clue rakes before posting again....just a thought.  :rofl

Oh, and I know all of this because I have made a map for the MA. :D
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2008, 03:04:27 PM »
Seems like every time I read a "I'm leaving the game" post, six months later I'm reading a "Hi, I'm back" post :D

Yeah....   It happens :o

Every now and then you get to a point where spending one more second in this game or on these forums is going to drive you nuts, and it's time for a nice, long, sabbatical.

I mean, if it's driving you nuts, what's the point of playing?  It's a game, not job #2.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Online Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »

Oh, and I know all of this because I have made a map for the MA. :D

And a damned fine map it was. We ever gonna see Trinity again?

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2008, 04:08:18 PM »
ack-ack is right, this is a flight simulator, NOT A COMBAT SIMULATOR. If it was a combat sim then we would have guns jaming after 4 hours and 2 hour flights. If AH was this way youd be the only one playing.
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2008, 07:44:08 PM »
And a damned fine map it was. We ever gonna see Trinity again?

Maxy, I really don't know. HT let me do the Tank Town thing (I had to talk him into it) and that lead to Fighter Town. He REALLY dislikes the FT idea and TT may be caught in the fallout. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.  :rock
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2008, 09:20:57 PM »
    I can't speak for anyone but myself, but the war part of this game means nothing to me.  The amount of effort to make the strats work, personally is'nt worth the effort. That leaves the trading of red base/green base about all there is to the war.

I like fighting, I like blowing stuff up, I despise the GVs except maybe a WW when theres lots of targets. As far as capturing, really only like it when that base is a mission for the squad for a squadnight or something.

I recommend finding others who share the enjoyment you get from the game, and all meet in one arena. The best bet would be the AvA arena so that its historical. Just a thought.

~AoM~

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2008, 10:00:21 PM »
I despise the GVs except maybe a WW when theres lots of targets.

Aww, c'mon.  GV's are the only place you can legitimately HO someone without them getting PO'd  :D
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2008, 07:32:45 AM »
Aye Aye sir, I count myself corrected.  :)

SRI Ghosth....there is a 3rd. Those that have been there, done that and just want to have fun now. There are a lot more of them around that some folks might think. :)