Author Topic: RedTop goes Euro ......car wise that is.  (Read 542 times)

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
RedTop goes Euro ......car wise that is.
« on: July 15, 2008, 07:12:02 PM »
Well...I decided with the gas prices going up...I'd look at a new car. I really wanted something a bit sprty since the wife has the mini van now...and I don't really need the SUV for what we got it for. I also wanted a bit of luxury as well and fuel economy. SO , I been shopping....and this looks like the one. If the deal is good when the guy calls me....I'll prolly pick it up and Thursday. If not sooner. It's used...But comes with warrenty and all.

Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: RedTop goes Euro ......car wise that is.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 07:12:54 PM »
You gettin Metrosexual on us?   "Mr. Salmon Polo shirt."      :devil
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:33:13 PM »
You gettin Metrosexual on us?   "Mr. Salmon Polo shirt."      :devil

:rofl I should have thought of that..... :rofl

Its a nice ride...I have one from another dealer for the night. It handles wonderful and is pretty dang peppy. I really like that switching to manual from auto transmission. Now THATS fun.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 07:36:04 PM »
You won't be disappointed. I bought a 2001 BMW 330ci brand new (waited 3 agonizing months for delivery from Germany) and to this day its the best handling, most reliable car I ever owned. Sold it 16 months ago due to business growth(need more room for photography gear, set up) and kids getting big.  I still miss it to this day.  I'll buy another one day, only next time it will be an //M.

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 08:00:17 PM »
RIP....

You'd have some good info....

I been driving a 325Ci.....Its cool. I like it.....does the 4 door handle the same? Haven't driven one like that. I drove another 325Ci this morning before getting this one for the night. It had some sport suspension package. I can't really tell the differance in them. Main this is the bells and whistles in stuff like power passenger seat and heated seats...nicer stereo in the 1st one....stuff like that. But they seem bascially powerful in the same way and handle great.

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 08:00:29 PM »
Hey! You can carpet your garage now too! :aok :D
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 08:04:42 PM »

:rofl :rofl  Huhhhhhh...................no :rofl
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 08:27:59 PM by RedTop »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 09:23:45 PM »
RIP....

You'd have some good info....

I been driving a 325Ci.....Its cool. I like it.....does the 4 door handle the same? Haven't driven one like that. I drove another 325Ci this morning before getting this one for the night. It had some sport suspension package. I can't really tell the differance in them. Main this is the bells and whistles in stuff like power passenger seat and heated seats...nicer stereo in the 1st one....stuff like that. But they seem bascially powerful in the same way and handle great.

I ordered mine with just a moon roof and sports suspension, nothing more. Stick (BMW shouldn't make an automatic IMO,)
I had a 325i as a loaner when my 330ci went in for a 20k check up. It was non-sports suspension but I never pushed it around corners like I did the 330ci so I can't comment on the handling, however the 330ci engine (3.0L)was quite a bit more beefier than the 2.5 L When you dumped the clutch in 1st gear and mashed the gas medal, I could get rubber in 1st, 2nd gear and a chirp in 3rd gear (6000 rpm, roughly 80 mph chirp).  I ran soft Z-rated Firestones on it, great for cornering. Good tires make all the difference in the world when you corner hard.

One anomoly I noticed with the 325i was rolling the rear windows down only, half way or so, doing 70mph, there was a weird harmonic vibration sound that would literally stun you. Very strange.

Mark, every AH'er I've met, once they see my attached garage in person (the RV garage is still concrete ;) ) understood unpon seeing my attached garage, why I carpeted.  It's my living room, complete with beer fridge, heat, and detail rack for working on car finishes with little dirt and dust to contaminate finishes when doing a full detail. But I digress, I'm anal about detailing. :)

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »
The new steptronic transmission is fun. SHifting with no clutch. True its not REAL manual...but close enuff. I enjoyed putting the one I'm driving thru a bit a a test this afternoon on a local curvey back road.

My Vette...when you got on it would just sit you back in your seat. This one doest , yet is quick. Handleing is prolly better than the vette. Not positive yet. I do know this thing will corner very well.

Thanks for the info Rip. I'm not just stuck on the one I posted pics of here , and I have time to shop a deal.

Being my first car of this nature....just curious as to thoughts you would have.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 09:56:36 PM »
I've seen the back window air thumping in most cars, so I doubt it's a fault in the 3 series design specificaly.  I think having one back window down will do it too.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 09:59:14 PM »
:rofl I should have thought of that..... :rofl

Its a nice ride...I have one from another dealer for the night. It handles wonderful and is pretty dang peppy. I really like that switching to manual from auto transmission. Now THATS fun.

Just busting your balls.    I like Bimmers.   Rip knows his Bimmers and is a good source of info on it.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dinan

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 12:33:37 AM »
Nice choice. :aok

Definitely need to put some new wheels on it.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 02:33:11 AM »
Well...I decided with the gas prices going up...I'd look at a new car. I really wanted something a bit sprty since the wife has the mini van now...and I don't really need the SUV for what we got it for. I also wanted a bit of luxury as well and fuel economy. SO , I been shopping....and this looks like the one. If the deal is good when the guy calls me....I'll prolly pick it up and Thursday. If not sooner. It's used...But comes with warrenty and all.

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Nice!! Congratulations. :)

Shoulda got the Jag sitting behind it tho... ;) :D
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 02:42:09 AM »
Dammit ya beat me to it! :D
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 02:59:43 AM »
Well...I decided with the gas prices going up...I'd look at a new car.

The cost of saving money:

If you do 20 K miles per year and pay $4.50 per gallon, your fuel cost in a 15 mpg vehicle is $6,000

If you get a new car that gets say 30 mpg, you could save $3,000 per year.  If the cost of the new vehicle is 20K over your trade in, the decision to trade in could pay for itself in 6 2/3 years.  Minus whatever financing costs.  If you factor that in, you might be looking at 8 or 9 years.

20k at 7% growth compounded is 35,011.57 after nine years.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!