Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 922 times)

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
Re: Need some help
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 10:08:37 AM »

Exactly

when in a dogfight in this GAME most people worry about where they are at instead of where the enemy is, and by not having to worry about where you are you will be able to track the enemy better. I hope that helps you a lot.
I still dont understand how landing blind gives me better sa... I would think your ability to track multiple cons at the same time makes for good sa.
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 10:15:45 AM »
I disagree that inanimate objects are the biggest problem one needs to have situational awareness of, but I'll drop it.

most of the new Cadets do not travel above 5-K, so when they do encounter the enemy they end up near the ground real fast and are generally more worried about the tree's and buildings than they are the enemy.

Just because you don't think something will work for you does not mean it will not work for others, and when your new to Aces High you need all the help and advice you can get. :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:21:09 AM by Sweet2th »

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 10:20:35 AM »
I still dont understand how landing blind gives me better sa... I would think your ability to track multiple cons at the same time makes for good sa.

When your just starting out you will not be able to attain the SA experience to track multiple targets at the same time. Landing while looking out the back, flying around while looking out the back is designed to help the Cadet's ability to manuver without having to worry about where they are as to where the enemy is.

A person gains the ability to track multiple targets when they stop being target fixed on just one.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 10:33:30 AM »
most of the new Cadets do not travel above 5-K, so when they do encounter the enemy they end up near the ground real fast and are generally more worried about the tree's and buildings than they are the enemy.

Just because you don't think something will work for you does not mean it will not work for others, and when your new to Aces High you need all the help and advice you can get. :)

Trust me, I'm getting a pretty good lesson in what it's like to be a newb again (complete equipment transition, peddals, new lighter js, the works...  Need to completely retrain my muscle memory, and I'm already developing an appreciation for just how tough this game really is)...

I don't dispute that it would work for others, I just dispute that it's really the fastest way, or best use of one's time in this virtual world.

In the real world, sure.  Hey, take all the baby steps you can - if you don't, you die.

But in here, I think a combo approach to learning can safely be used.  Worst thing that can happen is you need to replane... :)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 10:48:55 AM »
Trust me, I'm getting a pretty good lesson in what it's like to be a newb again (complete equipment transition, peddals, new lighter js, the works...  Need to completely retrain my muscle memory, and I'm already developing an appreciation for just how tough this game really is)...

Thats a whole lot for just playing a game. I just sit down and play with a 30$ Logitec then when done, get up and leave. You win you lose. What you described above i am in no way ragging on, but to me that just seems like quite a lot for playing a video game. A lot of the time i have seen and heard some folks using technical terms in the training process, and some may respond faster to that, but in my experience if you put things into a simple but yet understandable format they are able to pick it up faster than with the technical jargon. I call it Blue Collar terms and while some may poke fun at what i type or these methods, they really do work.

My Father told me a long time ago  in a conversation about the game of Billiards. Usually there are several guys with a lot of skill in a popular local billiard hall and most of them have 400$ plus cue's. He said when you can walk into that same billiard hall and beat everyone in there with a bent house cue, then you are doing something awesome for the look on thier faces as you collect is priceless.

For any new cadet that is interested in some helpful film on Evasive manuvers shoot me a email to todd_4202004@yahoo.com and i will gladly send them.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 11:18:35 AM »
Agreed on the pool cue thing.  But I've been using an X45 the past four years (simple, effective, just what I like), and have been forced to buy 3 of them on Ebay to get 1 working model for awhile now.  The supply will run out, and it'll turn into my own personal MS Sidewinder fiasco.  Most other joysticks will have the same problem some day, and each time you transition you have to relearn.

With this set up, I can at least have some stability, you know?

The thing about the thread starter is from the lingo he's using I take it he has a good foundation of understanding.  Others aren't like that.  There's a million ways to teach math, some will work for some, others for others.  Fair enough?

Thats a whole lot for just playing a game. I just sit down and play with a 30$ Logitec then when done, get up and leave. You win you lose. What you described above i am in no way ragging on, but to me that just seems like quite a lot for playing a video game. A lot of the time i have seen and heard some folks using technical terms in the training process, and some may respond faster to that, but in my experience if you put things into a simple but yet understandable format they are able to pick it up faster than with the technical jargon. I call it Blue Collar terms and while some may poke fun at what i type or these methods, they really do work.

My Father told me a long time ago  in a conversation about the game of Billiards. Usually there are several guys with a lot of skill in a popular local billiard hall and most of them have 400$ plus cue's. He said when you can walk into that same billiard hall and beat everyone in there with a bent house cue, then you are doing something awesome for the look on thier faces as you collect is priceless.

For any new cadet that is interested in some helpful film on Evasive manuvers shoot me a email to todd_4202004@yahoo.com and i will gladly send them.

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 11:31:58 AM »

The thing about the thread starter is from the lingo he's using I take it he has a good foundation of understanding.  Others aren't like that.  There's a million ways to teach math, some will work for some, others for others.  Fair enough?

agreed. :)

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 12:23:35 PM »
Oh yeah; setting your views.  Download Murdr's view settings as a .zip file from http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/files/murdr/hpsfiles.zip. These cover most of the planes in the set. To use them, simply copy the .hps files into your Aces High II\settings\planes folder.
I downloaded and installed Murdr's view settings, I thought I had the views covered but his are better :)  :aok

George "AlkyŽ" Fisher