Author Topic: Bye guys  (Read 1796 times)

Offline ddoug

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
Bye guys
« on: July 22, 2008, 08:35:04 PM »
I am finally making good on my 'threats' to leave and killed my account.  For sure I'll miss a lot of people here, even some of the ones I just plain hate (but amuse or challenge me).  I just have better things to do than play cartoon warrior for hours on end, no offense to anyone.

I thought I posted about it last night but who knows, skuzzy may have deleted the post (in his defense he usually locks my posts, lol).  Or I posted in Mattel's Barbie arena.  Again.

The bottom line is I found other things to do than sit on a farking computer and fly cartoon planes for hours on end.  I'm not going to bash people for that because if it's your thing, well, good for you.  I did it for three years (I think) and found I was missing out on the real world.  And I got wicked behind in house chores :) 

Seriously, though, this is a really mediocre game made GREAT only by the players/squads.  I've had many a fun evening hooking up my squad with others and having a ball.  Or my squad (the LCA).  Heck, I know more about the LCA members than people who work across the cube wall from me, and that's a good thing (Tunes, better listen for rumbling bikes outside your door).

On a 'preachy' note, I invite anyone to step back and not play it for a week.  Or two.  Seriously, try it.

<S> to all, especially my buds in the  LCA.  Thanks to all for a great 'gosh darned' time, I had a lot of fun.

Anti-<S> to Hitech and company.  AH2 is *only* made great by the players, your paying customers.  The game isn't that good, even with online play, but the organization of the squads makes it really great.  You guys should be kissing your customer's butts, not ticking them off with your shenanigans.  Shame on you for that, the only reason you're in business is because nobody else does a game like this....although I recall something about M$ starting to do a game like this.  If a company like MS really  gets in the arena you're simply screwed.  But, I had fun here, so best of luck to y'all as well.

ps:  Karaya:  HR75 VCNJ OOIJ OEEE ZR53 BNFK AGSD 1TE2 N9KY F279 9HP6 VWWL VHJE A0QG CVWQ lmao rofl!!!!

ps x 2:  Always remember ALT-F4 gets you unlimited fuel and ammo.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Bye guys
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:42:42 PM »
 :salute

YGN8 M6CX JQZI KEGY
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:43:06 PM »
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 08:51:15 PM »
  If a company like MS really  gets in the arena you're simply screwed.  But, I had fun here, so best of luck to y'all as well.

This genre is not profitable enough to interest a large developer. It's really only financially feasible for a "small shop" like HTC or Kesmai of the past (pre-1994). This is even more true for HTC than Kesmai because Kesmai sold box sets of Airwarrior to help cover development costs and had more subscribers. HTC provides its front-end free, charging only a subscription fee. Also, Kesmai was bought by a large corporation, Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., which subsequentally found it unprofitable so sold it to Electronic Arts who discovered the same and decided to kill it entirely.

The fact of the matter is it's a niche market, the majority of the loyal customers of the genre are enthusiasts of the WWII era and air combat. Those that truly love the genre will continue to support it by patronizing the only company that cares to develop it at all. I strongly suspect the only reason HTC continues to develop AH is a similar love of the WWII era and air combat. I'm guessing folks with their individual talents could likely make more money designing software for a large developer.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:17:49 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:04:35 PM »

Seriously, though, this is a really mediocre game made GREAT only by the players/squads. 

Gee, every time I've burnt out I was thinking quite the opposite :D

Have fun in the real world, see you in a few months.

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 09:15:19 PM »
Shame on you for that, the only reason you're in business is because nobody else does a game like this....although I recall something about M$ starting to do a game like this.  If a company like MS really  gets in the arena you're simply screwed.  But, I had fun here, so best of luck to y'all as well.

Actually, MS did a game like this. It sucked. Their players came here. It's no longer around.

Have a nice life.  :aok
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

storch

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 09:16:17 PM »
This genre is not profitable enough to interest a large developer. It's really only financially feasible for a "small shop" like HTC or Kesmai of the past (pre-1994). This is even more true for HTC than Kesmai because Kesmai sold box sets of Airwarrior to help cover development costs and had more subscribers. HTC provides its front-end free, charging only a subscription fee. Also, Kesmai was bought by a large corporation, Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., which subsequentally found it unprofitable so sold it to Electronic Arts who discovered the same and decided to killed it entirely.

The fact of the matter is it's a niche market, the majority of the loyal customers of the genre are enthusiasts of the WWII era and air combat. Those that truly love the genre will continue to support it by patronizing the only company that cares to develop it at all. I strongly suspect the only reason HTC continues to develop AH is a similar love of the WWII era and air combat. I'm guessing folks with their talent could likely make more money designing software for a large developer.
dang if that isn't a great assessment.  great post.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 09:20:37 PM »
I think it's a great game made better by the community, of which Dale, Roy and the rest of HTC are a part.

By ddoug, ddon't let the ddoor hit you on your dderriere on the way out.    :aok
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 09:22:18 PM »
Also, Kesmai was bought by a large corporation, Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., which subsequentally found it unprofitable so sold it to Electronic Arts who discovered the same and decided to kill it entirely.

Zazen...

Rupert's bunch did everything but nail the coffin shut. Unfortunately, both companies didn't know enough about online gaming to make it work and consistently refused to listen to their employees that did know. Frankly, if Kesmai had done it right, this game would probably be Air Warrior 6. :D
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 09:29:06 PM »
It's only your second "I'm out of this mediocre game, bye!" post in 3 months. Try harder. ;)
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,233661.msg2843274.html#msg2843274

See ya next time :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 09:36:17 PM »
Zazen...

Rupert's bunch did everything but nail the coffin shut. Unfortunately, both companies didn't know enough about online gaming to make it work and consistently refused to listen to their employees that did know. Frankly, if Kesmai had done it right, this game would probably be Air Warrior 6. :D

I'm not arguing with you there. That's why I said Kesmai pre-1994, before News Corp took over, was making it work...I was pretty deeply involved on a variety of levels during that period and beyond, it was frustrating as hell for everyone involved behind the scenes. It became obvious by 1998-1999 that corporate had decided that Airwarrior was not going to continue being developed in earnest. The goal was to keep their game face on for appearance sake until it could be sold off and Kesmai developers knew it. This whole sad saga proves the point that "small shop" developers like HTC with a keen interest in the subject matter are best for the job. Once development is relegated to corporate bean counters with no insight into the genre and its constituent enthusiasts all is lost...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:51:45 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 09:36:27 PM »
It's only your second "I'm out of this mediocre game, bye!" post in 3 months. Try harder. ;)
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,233661.msg2843274.html#msg2843274

ddoug, sometimes a good rant on the boards can really help get a load off your chest...  you make it an artform.

ultra melontery?  I really like that one.   :lol      :aok
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:39:49 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 10:42:38 PM »

:rofl :rofl :rofl
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 11:17:42 PM »

Pwned!
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 12:11:20 AM »
Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers