Author Topic: Bye guys  (Read 1936 times)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: Bye guys
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 04:32:56 PM »
All a matter of perspective with regard to suckiness, NoBaddy.  Fighter Ace might be considered a niche within a niche since any comparison with Aces High needs to stop at WWII-era and combat.  It's a terrific training ground for 'wobblers'.  There are some very good pilots in that game that would have no trouble at all with the learning curve of AH.  FA's still around (https://fighterace.ketsujin.com) and has a community very similar to this one.

I stand corrected! At least about it being gone. I believe MS did dump it. I assume that Ketsujin is the developer. I only saw it a few times as folks booted it up at conventions for a peak. I never did find anyone with a lot positive to say about it....accept that it was pretty.

BTW, suckage is ALWAYS relative to the situation.  :devil

Largely, what this game is or does is based on what we make of it and what we do with it. 

Nothing in your post is more true than the above statement. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 04:36:05 PM »
AW at the time it was shut down had EA's second largest paying subscriber base, at around 38,000 subscriptions. 

ack-ack

That's just craziness, I knew it was alot, but never would have thought it was that many at that time...Especially considering the fact that alot of Airwarriors had begun to come here disenchanted with the whole Kesmai fiasco.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:42:46 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 04:43:36 PM »
Whether or not AW was profitable or not was not going to stop EA from axing AW.  EA did not buy Kesmai for AW but rather for the networking code (forgot the name, think it was Aegis or something like that) that was used for all of Kesmai's online games.  Remember, this was the time that EA started EA.com and made major investments and development to a whole library of online games which in the end ultimately failed.  A little known fact, AW at the time it was shut down had EA's second largest paying subscriber base, at around 38,000 subscriptions. 

The fact that AW was as profitable as it was allowed EA to use it as a cash cow for development of Gamestorm and all of the games they put up there. In the end, this just added to the neglect the game suffered from under News Corp.

Zaz...yah, I was a contract employee from '95 until about 6 months prior to EA shutting the doors.
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 04:49:47 PM »
   Well said Daddog :aok

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 04:51:15 PM »
Gee, every time I've burnt out I was thinking quite the opposite :D

Have fun in the real world, see you in a few months.

:salute
Now he'll have to change his name when he comes back :lol
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 04:54:29 PM »
In the end, this just added to the neglect the game suffered from under News Corp.

Yup, I remember after AW3 was released proposals to update some of the more ancient imbedded code and implement new design concepts was shot down by management. They had no intention of investing in updating it at that time and knew already that there was not going to be any subsequent major releases...In a lucky bit of serendipity I believe that was about the same time HiTech and Pyro began work on AH beta... Had AH not been there to pick up the pieces the entire community and possibly the genre may have disintegrated into historical obscurity...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:16:59 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 05:01:15 PM »
Zaz...

Where you around for the "first" viewing of AWII? That was a hoot and a half. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 05:16:45 PM »
Zaz...

Where you around for the "first" viewing of AWII? That was a hoot and a half. :)

You talking about the open beta pilot arena? Yea, I hated AWII, it felt like a step backward in alot of ways to me. I wasn't the only one, AW3 came out only a year or so later...I remember in AWII twin engine planes suddenly became uber. I remember Marcy and +mir tearing arse in 38's, 110's and A26's.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:19:47 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 05:22:36 PM »
Sour rascal aint he.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2008, 05:50:49 PM »
The first "viewing" of AW2 was at the '95 AW con in Houston. That's when War Birds was in beta. HT, Killer and Gunjam showed up at the con wearing fake glasses with the nose and mustache...a major hoot (though the Kesmoids were less than impressed). What they showed us was a simple port of AW1 to windows. There was sooooo much screaming, the delayed release while the actually wrote a new windows based game (about a year I think). The first AW2 became. I can still remember Jonathan's stunned expression at the initial reception it received. Of course, he listened and the game was better for it.

The next year was the "real" year of the 10,000 dweebs....AOHell and Compuserve. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 06:04:05 PM »
The first "viewing" of AW2 was at the '95 AW con in Houston. That's when War Birds was in beta. HT, Killer and Gunjam showed up at the con wearing fake glasses with the nose and mustache...a major hoot (though the Kesmoids were less than impressed). What they showed us was a simple port of AW1 to windows. There was sooooo much screaming, the delayed release while the actually wrote a new windows based game (about a year I think). The first AW2 became. I can still remember Jonathan's stunned expression at the initial reception it received. Of course, he listened and the game was better for it.

The next year was the "real" year of the 10,000 dweebs....AOHell and Compuserve. :)

Hey! I was one of those 10K dweebs!

BTW if you look at the FA world, you'll find our old buddy KenJr heavily in the mix :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 06:08:34 PM »
Hey! I was one of those 10K dweebs!

BTW if you look at the FA world, you'll find our old buddy KenJr heavily in the mix :)

Is he offering rides in his dad's B-17?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline zuii

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
and here i am freakin cause i cant find the time to play hardly at all, im in the DA when i get a chance to play at all Truly cant commit to a long flight/fight. i keep thinking "next month ill have time"   after i get back from the mouse, then the tour,,,,arg,,arg,,arg
bla bla bla.

<S> all
zuii

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"

Empress Zhang: "I love cannons"
(it was not all fun and games inside the forbidden city)

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2008, 06:22:29 PM »
You talking about the open beta pilot arena? Yea, I hated AWII, it felt like a step backward in alot of ways to me. I wasn't the only one, AW3 came out only a year or so later...I remember in AWII twin engine planes suddenly became uber. I remember Marcy and +mir tearing arse in 38's, 110's and A26's.

I remember Mir.Soup and I had a good fight with him and his wingman one time.I cant recall what his wingmans name was though.It was 10 years ago after all <G>.Ill have to ask Soup if he recalls the fight im talkin about.Funny how some things stick in my head while the important stuff is lost ehhehehe

Pipz
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2008, 06:33:37 PM »

Every bird in AW2 was amazing.  It was too easy, and I guess in that respects a step backwards.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters