Author Topic: Shooting chutes  (Read 1878 times)

Offline A8HatTrick

• Copper Member
      • YouTube
Re: Shooting chutes
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2008, 11:04:03 PM »
piss people off.  most valid reason there is.

And its that mentality, that ruins not only this game.. but this planet... reminds me of "the world owes me everything, and everything in the world not interesting to me is CRAP" mentality of most of the sub 25 year olds that I run into.
A8HatTrick flying WWII sims since 1992
Aces and 8's A8's http://a8s.us aka A8hatrik
-htrk- War Birds Beta .07 thru 2.1
-=Old Farts=- War Birds "Yo Frodo!"
No 308(Polish)Squadron RAF "City of Cracow"  "Yo fdski!"

Offline RMrider

• Silver Member
      • http://
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2008, 11:10:09 PM »
The Allies in WW 2 would take a few shots at a bailing pilot. Take Gunter Rall for example, lost his thumb when bailing out with P51s all over him.

Ill take shots at any shoot i can get at before he towers, i find it hilarious, because instead of a bail or capture it now says death.  :devil
MDStampf - JG11 'Sonderstaffel'
Sgt Stampfli, USMC

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2008, 11:12:20 PM »
In my book, most folks riding a chute down fall into two categories...

1) Somebody planning to cause mischief with his .45 once he reaches the ground.  So, shooting him is fair game in my book.

or...

2) Somebody that is new to the game who doesn't yet realize that they can .ef and get airborne more quickly.  I was in that position once upon a time.  Shooting them gets them playing the game sooner, definitely a favor.

That said, not shooting the new guys' chutes might deprive the other countries vets of all those range vox requests for a "rescue mission" or a GV to "pick" them up.  It also deprives those vets of the opportunity to tell the new guys to make a run for a friendly base on the ground and try to avoid the enemy.  I've always wondered if there have been any new players who have run overland 25+ miles to "get back to base" safely.   :lol

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2008, 11:19:58 PM »
I don't care why they are in the chute, how they got in the chute, or what they plan to do on the ground.  I just enjoy shooting them, for the reasons stated by ack ack and furball.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2008, 11:39:22 PM »
Take Gunter Rall for example, lost his thumb when bailing out with P51s all over him.

A P47 took this thumb, btw. From I remember, it happened prior to his bailing out of the aircraft he was in.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:42:06 PM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2008, 06:45:46 AM »
The Allies in WW 2 would take a few shots at a bailing pilot.

bit too general there: RAF not allowed although happened very occasionally, USAAF not allowed but unofficially encouraged in some squadrons. For Axis: Luftwaffe same as USAAF, Russian standard practice and (un)official policy, Japanese standard practice and cultural obligation.

killing an enemy is valuable to reduce his points.

you get the victory (and points) either way, the only difference is what the downed pilot gets. pretty vindictive really, like kicking a guy who's already down. I guess the difference between a burst of 50s and a victory roll past the chute is honour, sportmanship and respect for other pilots...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2008, 11:37:32 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 11:44:24 AM by LCCajun »
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2008, 01:41:13 PM »
Cool,guys dont shoot me in my chute when I bail over a town we are trying to capture and you have GV's in it..I will do what I always do,run through town and shoot all your supplies..Love to do that...I will also help the friendlys to zone in on you with my icon right by you..Dont shoot me in the middle of a furball either, so I can call out check6's to my friends,and when I bail over your base at high altitude and use ZOOM and look down to call out the enemy Gv's.....

I will kill a chute everytime,unless we are in the middle of the ocean..I will just let the sharks have ya then... :rock

Falcon23

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2008, 08:10:24 AM »
I always shoot chutes which are high up cause I feel sorry for the newbs who don't realize you can just .ef and don't need to hang in your damn chute... also I don't like people watching me, undressing me in their minds.

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2008, 09:26:17 AM »
And its that mentality, that ruins not only this game.. but this planet... reminds me of "the world owes me everything, and everything in the world not interesting to me is CRAP" mentality of most of the sub 25 year olds that I run into.

Sad, but true. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between.
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2008, 03:13:53 AM »

:rofl

Been accused of many things here over the years, but i think that my mentality is ruining the planet takes the biscuit.

Some of us know the differences between a game and real life, i treat this as a game only, i suggest some people in this thread do the same.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2008, 06:53:01 AM »
And some of us know the difference between respect and self control, and getting  jollies from disrespect and lack of the latter. Depends on your point of view doesn't it.
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline ZXMAW

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2008, 09:04:04 AM »
Back in the Air Warrior days it was a sign of ultimate disrespect. Here it does have a purpose at times like when one is spotting gv's ect. otherwise it's just plain disrespect as stated.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2008, 09:18:16 AM »
I never shoot chutes...  it's a waste of ammo...  aim for the meatbomb dangling under it... 
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2008, 12:46:15 PM »
And some of us know the difference between respect and self control, and getting  jollies from disrespect and lack of the latter. Depends on your point of view doesn't it.

...it does, and it also depends on your definition of 'disrespect' and 'self control' i guess?  I don't find shooting cartoon pilots disrespectul or lacking in self control.

You don't really die you know.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --