Author Topic: Adjustment to Scoring (idea)  (Read 8573 times)

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
Re: Adjustment to Scoring (idea)
« Reply #225 on: July 30, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
I like the idea of the 30 second rule or something similar as argued in this thread. It would be nice to see it implemented in some fashion for a trial period to see what the effects would be. I think it could have unintended consequences. I might, for example, start doing something I never do now.

Vulching!

Only I'll pick them off at the spawn before the 30 seconds is up just to keep vulchers from padding their score.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #226 on: July 30, 2008, 04:41:17 PM »
I'm still not 100% sure why you would care how someone got their score?
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #227 on: July 30, 2008, 04:43:47 PM »
I'm still not 100% sure why you would care how someone got their score?

Because vulching, imo, is a cheap way to get it, take down the ack, call 'vulchfest at a22' and you got 1/2 of 'em there takin out anyone that tries to get up, it's taking out defenceless targets...

It's like shootin fish in a barrel...only worse :]
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #228 on: July 30, 2008, 04:50:51 PM »
Because vulching, imo, is a cheap way to get it, take down the ack, call 'vulchfest at a22' and you got 1/2 of 'em there takin out anyone that tries to get up, it's taking out defenceless targets...

It's like shootin fish in a barrel...only worse :]

Blame the fish. Nobody  forced them to up there. Besides, vulchers make the best kills.  Killing hordelings is quite satisfying.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #229 on: July 30, 2008, 04:57:05 PM »
Blame the fish. Nobody  forced them to up there. Besides, vulchers make the best kills.  Killing hordelings is quite satisfying.

Alright, you've got 3 1/2 minutes to defend a base, the nearest base, if you fly in a LA7 is a 5-7 minute flight depending on how much resistance you encounter... what do you do?
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #230 on: July 30, 2008, 05:02:17 PM »

Alright, you've got 3 1/2 minutes to defend a base, the nearest base, if you fly in a LA7 is a 5-7 minute flight depending on how much resistance you encounter... what do you do?

Where is the egg timer on this base? Where did you get his 3 1/2 minutes from?

If you up from a base that is capped and horded, will the 30 seconds somehow allow you to get anything done?

You want 30 seconds of spawn armor, don't you?

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #231 on: July 30, 2008, 05:04:58 PM »
Where is the egg timer on this base? Where did you get his 3 1/2 minutes from?

If you up from a base that is capped and horded, will the 30 seconds somehow allow you to get anything done?

You want 30 seconds of spawn armor, don't you?

No, I'm saying, if you see the goon rolling in, and you can estimate about 3-4 minutes till it's over the base...

I'd like to be able to up and put up a fight, call me crazy... although I think 30 secs might be a bit too long.
I say 10-15 secs, that should give a b24J enough time (with full flaps) to get off the ground imo...
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #232 on: July 30, 2008, 05:11:47 PM »
Nothing stops anyone from vulching with this idea, but rather tries to put the focus on killing guys in the air vs being a limp wrist vulch tard.

That's exactly what I got out of it.

For some reason, some are assuming that you can't actually kill the guy within the 30 second time frame ... which would be ludicrous and totally ruin the game.

One could still CAP/VULCH 'till they puke ... you just won't get any scoring/credit for it ... nor will the guy that gets vulched, be punished for trying to get into the "fight".

Personally I would love to see this implemented, for a test period of time at least. All those "PlayerX landed "double-digit" kills in PlaneZZ" would diminish at a scary rate.

OH NOES !!! I didn't get an "atta boy" ... :rofl
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #233 on: July 30, 2008, 05:13:19 PM »
Only I'll pick them off at the spawn before the 30 seconds is up just to keep vulchers from padding their score.

:rofl
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #234 on: July 30, 2008, 05:14:17 PM »
No, I'm saying, if you see the goon rolling in, and you can estimate about 3-4 minutes till it's over the base...

I'd like to be able to up and put up a fight, call me crazy... although I think 30 secs might be a bit too long.
I say 10-15 secs, that should give a b24J enough time (with full flaps) to get off the ground imo...

Ok, so 15 seconds go by and you are rolling.  The goon is now 3 minutes out. Your field is capped.  Did this 15 seconds somehow give you a better chance against the horde.  I fail to see how you would be any less dead.

I don't get it, seriously. Base taking isn't rolling across any maps right now so why is there a need to make base taking harder?

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #235 on: July 30, 2008, 05:17:08 PM »
All those "PlayerX landed "double-digit" kills in PlaneZZ" would diminish at a scary rate.

Ummm atta boy?

Scary rate huh? So, how many people in the arena typically are vulching like this?

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #236 on: July 30, 2008, 05:17:20 PM »
Personally I would love to see this implemented, for a test period of time at least. All those "PlayerX landed "double-digit" kills in PlaneZZ" would diminish at a scary rate.

And the real kills surely would hold more weight.. "Atta boy's" would still exist, but they would just be harder to get.. I see very little problem with this idea..

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #237 on: July 30, 2008, 05:26:41 PM »
Why not just have them spawn at 5k? Why stop at silliness when you can go straight to rediculous?>

This is exactly where I come down on the entire idea.  I'm pretty sure that 30 seconds of no score for the vultcher will do little or nothing to alleviate the frustration of being vultched on the runway.  There's always going to be at least one guy in the over head horde who either doesn't know or doesn't care that there is a 30 second window where he won't score anything for his kill.  Then add in a few guys over head who really don't care about the score because they are more interested in "winning the war".  What do they care about a few points?  It's the capture that is important.  Then don't forget the tard in the group who will giggle merrily on 200 everytime he plasters another LA7 on the tarmac.  Actually, there'll probably be more then one tard.

I don't belive that you'd accomplish anything.  A few months from now, someone would be posting that there needs to be 60 seconds of a window.  Surely THAT would discourage the vultchers!  Or, like Steve said, why not simply spawn at 5k?  Vultching problem SOLVED!

The game mechanics are fine as they are, in my opinion.  :salute

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #238 on: July 30, 2008, 05:31:59 PM »
Ok, so 15 seconds go by and you are rolling.  The goon is now 3 minutes out. Your field is capped.  Did this 15 seconds somehow give you a better chance against the horde.  I fail to see how you would be any less dead.

I don't get it, seriously. Base taking isn't rolling across any maps right now so why is there a need to make base taking harder?

You wouldn't be less dead to a landgrabber, he'll vulch you as you spawn. You would be less dead if the landgrabbers were all busily strafing town and the guy's CAP'ing the base are score potatos, which is how it usually plays out.

If by "harder" you mean base taking will actual involve the other team in an actual fight rather than the takers playing alone at a vacant field, then yes they will be harder. But, they will also be more fun.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 05:33:50 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #239 on: July 30, 2008, 05:33:36 PM »
You wouldn't be less dead to a landgrabber, he'll vulch you as you spawn. You would be less dead if the landgrabbers were all busily strafing town and the guy's CAP'ing the base are score potatos, which is how it plays out usually.

If by "harder" you mean actually involving the other team in an actual fight, then yes they will be harder. But, they will also be more fun.

No, when someone is strafing the town there are usually plenty of people capping the field, score potatos or not. So you are still going to get vulched, right?