Author Topic: The map used for Titanic Tuesday | Volcano  (Read 468 times)

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
The map used for Titanic Tuesday | Volcano
« on: July 30, 2008, 12:26:09 PM »
The map w/ the Volcano in the middle has a bug.

Last night it one showed a squad highlight (when he keyed up) in the center of the volcano when he is really 10-15 sectors away.  Another squaddie of mine "mrbucket" saw this as well.
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
Re: The map used for Titanic Tuesday | Volcano
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:08:21 PM »
Don't think it's a map bug but the result of a crowded arena. This kind of thing happens every Tuesday AFAIK. Last week the sector in the middle of the map showed a full enemy dar bar and but had few cons. We had players looking high and low before we figured it out.

Your computer shows any player that is not accounted for due to slow updating as being in the center of the map. And I think that is also where all players end up for a split second after dieing/end flight before going to tower.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 03:48:16 PM »
It may be. 

The squaddie in flight was in flight for a long time when his squad vox highlight showed up in the center.  I would say that this went on for a good 15 - 20 min. of him flying around in fights.

I was going to his location and he was nowhere to be found and there were no cons to speak of.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 03:50:33 PM »
yeah thats due to cramming all those people onto one server.  Happens every Tuesday
Tours 86 - 296

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 05:18:49 PM »
yeah thats due to cramming all those people onto one server.  Happens every Tuesday

It has nothing to do with the servers. HTC servers run under 10 percent capacity even on TT. Skuzzy says its has to do with your computer not being able to keep up with all the extra info coming through in the packets. SOme people with computers that are just good enough will have trouble on TT because they get a bit over taxed.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »

It has nothing to do with the servers. HTC servers run under 10 percent capacity even on TT. Skuzzy says its has to do with your computer not being able to keep up with all the extra info coming through in the packets. SOme people with computers that are just good enough will have trouble on TT because they get a bit over taxed.

Actually I find that a bit odd. I never noticed such things back in the day when there was only one MA and at comparable player numbers. Some extra warping yes, hefty FR issues for sure, but never any phantom dots caused by enemy players opening their clipboardmap or completely weird friendly as well as enemy darbars & dots.
And my current machine is way better than two years ago, AMD 64 X2 4200+ with 2GB ram. But once we go 500+, I get all kinds of radar problems.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
Toward the end of the single arena I was getting the phantom dots and weird radar things. Seeing as I have the same computer, I don't bother to try flying on TT. On a Sat night I'll get strange stuff too, but then again the numbers in the arena are high so I'm sure its my computer.

I'll let you know next week. For my 50th birthday the wife gave the ok for a major upgrade, and my geek son is building it as we speak . Can't wait to test it out ! :aok

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 08:03:56 PM »
So how can another squaddie see exactly the same as I?  I can guarantee you that my comp. can handle alot :)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 08:13:01 PM »
So how can another squaddie see exactly the same as I? 

Valid point. Actually I had this repeatedly. For example bogus red dot on dar that everyone (4-5 players) around me was seeing too, at exact same position, for more than 5mins.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »
Valid indeed.

If mrbucket who lives in Wisconsin w/ a very good computer & myself in Texas w/ a very good setup... I don't see how we could be seeing the same thing if it was a personal computer problem.

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 09:25:21 AM »
I think updating info is prioritized. What should apear near you is top priority. I've been in missions in a 500+ arena where the goons swing wide but stay within 2 keypads of the main flight and seem to stop moving. Most in the flight see this too.
As soon as one gets within dot range it jumps to the right place on the map.

I am on 56K dialup using a ADM64 3200+ w/ 1G RAM, FX5200 AGP and onboard Realtek sound. But anytime I see strange things I ask around my squad most with better connections and rigs see them too.

Perhaps they could change the priority for info updating so a 25 mile radius of the player is assured as correct. I know you often pick your fights by what you see on the map. But you never real know what your going to get into. Would be better to know what you've already gotten yourself into :)
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 12:40:40 PM »
Volcano map? They put in trinity?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com