Author Topic: Do you get those chills down your spine while playing?  (Read 1484 times)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Do you get those chills down your spine while playing?
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:22:50 PM »
   Do you get those chills down your spine while playing? Those moments when you're playing and get a random chill about the fact that you're basically seeing what a World War 2 pilot is seeing? Or do you realize that you're playing a game... where killing people is something you do EVERYDAY? I just had one of those moments after landing my 109 (sitting there on the runway, if anyone saw me).
  For those who's skeptical and say "It's just a game, who cares?", don't post... that will just start a flame war.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: Do you get those chills down your spine while playing?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 08:24:32 PM »
For those who's skeptical and say "It's just a game, who cares?", don't post... that will just start a flame war.

Wow. :noid
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 08:53:09 PM »
 :huh
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 09:03:47 PM »
I used to get those in FSO's,

Flying forever with no action you kinda get your senses numbed and finally when cons are spotted and DT's are away it feels like an overdose on Redbull.
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 09:11:39 PM »
I used to get those in FSO's,

Flying forever with no action you kinda get your senses numbed and finally when cons are spotted and DT's are away it feels like an overdose on Redbull.

I think I did once during the Coral Sea scenario flying TBM's.. Flying forever to different waypoints with no action, then all of a sudden... "Carrier Spotted! 11:00!"

Peeling off one by one, diving full speed towards the enemy carrier with zekes swarming all over, puffy ack and ship ack firing like hell, and constant radio chatter it gave me a short glimpse of what it must have really been like to do an actual torpedo run..

While I realize it's just a game, that gave me a much bigger rush than just furballing in the MA..
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 09:15:04 PM by xNOVAx »

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:26:40 PM »
It's just a game, who cares?

:aok
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline halo342

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:31:27 PM »
It's just a game, who cares?

:aok

*waits for flame war*
Oh my God, what has the Internet evolved itself into? :huh

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 09:52:17 PM »
I used to get those feelings in FSO quite often, especially when we flew formation.

Lambo
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 10:06:27 PM »
I get those feelings now when I'm in a good FSO. (The first 2 frames of The Green Hell, first one, 5 kills, 2nd one, 3 kills w00t!)
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 10:09:12 PM »
I used to get those feelings till the game evolved into a lamo land grab who's got the numbers game.

Now its send in the buffs kill VH, ords, and FH and roll GV's to take the town rinse and repeat.

It appears that unless something is done the game as a fighter vs fighter simulator is rapidly dying, of course the fan boyz will jump and flame me but thats how I feel about it and their flames don't mean much after all these years.

I just logged off in disgust when I looked for a darbar to go fight and all the FH's were dead to the Knits who at the time were enjoying a 40 man advantage in numbers.

Whats the point??? roll the map reset the map roll the map again?? seems pointless to me.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 10:30:58 PM »
I used to get those feelings till the game evolved into a lamo land grab who's got the numbers game.

Now its send in the buffs kill VH, ords, and FH and roll GV's to take the town rinse and repeat.

It appears that unless something is done the game as a fighter vs fighter simulator is rapidly dying, of course the fan boyz will jump and flame me but thats how I feel about it and their flames don't mean much after all these years.

I just logged off in disgust when I looked for a darbar to go fight and all the FH's were dead to the Knits who at the time were enjoying a 40 man advantage in numbers.

Whats the point??? roll the map reset the map roll the map again?? seems pointless to me.

25 perkies... ;) :lol

to go with the 25 thousand or so fighter perks I have that I never use.

I agree with you. I don't play alot this time of year. Outside activity keeps me busy. I did fly some last week tho...and rinse and repeat is sure it.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 10:45:32 PM »
   Do you get those chills down your spine while playing? Those moments when you're playing and get a random chill about the fact that you're basically seeing what a World War 2 pilot is seeing? Or do you realize that you're playing a game... where killing people is something you do EVERYDAY? I just had one of those moments after landing my 109 (sitting there on the runway, if anyone saw me).

i view it much like i remember reading about real pilots viewing it.

when i shoot down a plane, that's all i'm shooting down. a machine. nothign more.

i get that good ole butterfly in the stomach feeling when i'm trying to stalk a bogie, be it a bomber, or a fighter i'm trying to figure out how to get an angle on.....but once the fight starts, its my plane against whatever i attacked......

<<S>>

interesting question BTW :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 10:47:25 PM »
I think narcotics had something to do with the start of this thread  :noid  :huh :huh
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 11:06:38 PM »
After a few years, they stoped.

only feeling i get now is a full bladder.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 11:37:03 PM »

I'm one of those, it's just a game folks

That doesn't mean I'm not aware of the history etc.  There have been moments in scenarios in particular where I've been sucked into the cockpit and it feels as real as my imagination will allow it to be.

I can still describe it from individual frames in old Airwarrior Scenarios.  It happens now and then when I'm flying with squaddies in the 80th 38s, and it happened in every frame of the DGS scenario.

I'd like to think that anyone playing a WW2 flight sim would look for something like that when they 'fly'.

An image from DGS. Probably my favorite screenshot ever.   formed up and heading for the rendevous with the bombers.  25K or so, other flights of 38s in the distance.  I remember the conversation going at the time and everyone could feel it a little bit.  The markings are accurate, the 'pilots' are on the job and if you can feel like you were there, even just a little bit, it becomes a 'chills down your spine' moment.  This was one of em.   I still have the films of all 4 frames, and if you listen to the radio chatter, it's really something, in particular when in 'combat'.  very cool stuff
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 12:00:12 AM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters