Author Topic: Situation Assessment (SAs) and Situation Awareness (SAw)  (Read 1230 times)

Offline 47th/312thbgl_KABAYO

• Zinc Member
      • 47th/312th Bomb Group Light
Situation Assessment (SAs) and Situation Awareness (SAw)
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:08:56 AM »
~S~ Every One
I see in some threads about Situation Awareness. This is good but there is more to it then just Situation Awareness. There is another factor that you people don't know about and that is Situation Assessment or as I call it (SAs). I written this a few ago back about 1999 when I was CO of the Virtual 332nd Fighter group back in he old CFS days and have upgraded threw the years. It has been posted in many web sites that are now gone. True I written it for IL2 1946 because there we have Full Real and Full Immersion with no Icons.
It holds true here too. So maybe they make this a sticky so every one can read it and study it and learn more about what Situation Assessment (SAs) and Situation Awareness (SAw) is all about. Here is the link to a training Manual I am redoing. True I am now a Bomber pilot  still even Bomber Pilots need to know about Situation Assessment (SAs) and
Situation Awareness (SAw).
http://virtual47thand312bgl.org/CONTENTS.html   Some of you old timers are thinking I know all this, that's good but you only think about Situation Awareness and not about Situation Assessment.  Take time to read it and learn it. However remember this is my material and if you want to copy it, ask my permission first.
Kabayo

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
Re: Situation Assessment (SAs) and Situation Awareness (SAw)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:25:15 AM »
Its easier to describe SA and SAW easier.
My opinion, but situational awareness is based on "whats around you and what is perceived as the biggest threat" Where Assessment is classifying the enemy in a range of biggest threat to no threat.

For example: Situational awareness - Your flying at 7k and only 3 cons in your view at 12'clock.
Situational assessment - All 3 cons are Spitfires, however only 1 is co-alt other 2 are taking off, only 1 is a threat.

Good post however, first lesson I teach in training arena is hoping people boost the SA up first, most newer players lack the SAW based on lack of knowledge, however over time they can learn from experience and SAW will grow, why we have website's like gonzo's

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 12:22:44 PM »
To me, they both go hand in hand and I don't consider them two seperate things.  You can't properly assess the situation if you're not aware of what's going on around you.  Both skills are vital for proper fight management.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:39:47 PM »
To me, they both go hand in hand and I don't consider them two seperate things.  You can't properly assess the situation if you're not aware of what's going on around you.  Both skills are vital for proper fight management.

ack-ack

that seems like a correct answer, as ack-ack has posted SA ( Situational Awarenss ) in a nutshell is, the ability to assess your surroundings and current situation at hand as well as the forseeable future of events that might possibly take place depending on the variables of what one does.......
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 12:44:01 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 03:11:44 PM »

ack-ack

No doubt that is why most new beginners find the game to frustrating, must be even at all times, if you cant assess the situation you pretty much get killed from what you don't see. To many new players simply "dive in" a situation without an exit plan and wonder why it fails so often.

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »
No doubt that is why most new beginners find the game to frustrating, must be even at all times, if you cant assess the situation you pretty much get killed from what you don't see. To many new players simply "dive in" a situation without an exit plan and wonder why it fails so often.
I never have an exit plan but that does not mean i dont have good sa..
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 03:25:10 PM »
Exit plan?  Isn't that what the tower is for?   ;)
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 03:26:22 PM »
I have .ef mapped to my stick... that's my exit plan.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »
I have .ef mapped to my stick... that's my exit plan.
yep
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 04:34:58 PM »
Some of you old timers are thinking I know all this, that's good but you only think about Situation Awareness and not about Situation Assessment. 

How would you know what I'm thinking? 

If you're not assessing situations continuously you will die quickly, whether thats one-on-one or one-on-many.  SA (both parts by your description) should be instinctive.

What I'm actually thinking is "how am I going to saddle up on this Typhie without letting the Spit saddle up on me while also allowing just enough seperation to reverse onto the Spit's six once I've blown the Typhie away."  The last thing I'm "thinking" about is my SA.  That's already under control.

BTW, that was from a me-on-two a couple of nights ago and was exactly what was running through my mind at the time.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline 47th/312thbgl_KABAYO

• Zinc Member
      • 47th/312th Bomb Group Light
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 07:24:10 PM »
I was just trying to be helpful here as there are a lot of new guys that come and try the game. But it seems that it don't pay to try to be helpful. So I guess I just don't say anything and just let you snobs think you are so f__k great. Any way I find this community very snobish and very unwelcome to new people here. So take this inferior game and shove it.  This game is like Warbirds any way, very arcade type with no goals, except to be a bunch of snobs and donut holes, who think you are the greatest virtual pilots ever to play virtual air combat.  This game will never be or ever come close to the full realism or full immersions like IL2 1946. You all need Icons and maps and dar or hide in the tower to show you were the enemy plane is. You have to camp out in your little tanks and AA to make your kills. True we don't have ship or tanks or all this other crap. IL2 1946 will always be a very much better Air Combat Flight Sim then AH2 will or ever think to be. You been waiting how long for TOD? Six years, you will never see it. So all you snobs take tis game and shove it up your ass.

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 07:34:29 PM »
     <<<<IN>>>>
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 07:42:22 PM »
I was just trying to be helpful here as there are a lot of new guys that come and try the game. But it seems that it don't pay to try to be helpful. So I guess I just don't say anything and just let you snobs think you are so f__k great. Any way I find this community very snobish and very unwelcome to new people here. So take this inferior game and shove it.  This game is like Warbirds any way, very arcade type with no goals, except to be a bunch of snobs and donut holes, who think you are the greatest virtual pilots ever to play virtual air combat.  This game will never be or ever come close to the full realism or full immersions like IL2 1946. You all need Icons and maps and dar or hide in the tower to show you were the enemy plane is. You have to camp out in your little tanks and AA to make your kills. True we don't have ship or tanks or all this other crap. IL2 1946 will always be a very much better Air Combat Flight Sim then AH2 will or ever think to be. You been waiting how long for TOD? Six years, you will never see it. So all you snobs take tis game and shove it up your ass.

1) No one critized you or bashed you for posting your information

2) Some of us (and quite a bit of us have far more experience than you do) disagreed with your point that Situational Assessment and Situational Awarness are two distinct things.  We pointed that that you can't have one without the other and both together make up SA.

3) Your original post came off as both snobbish and elitist

4) If you can't take criticism or opinions that are contrary to yours then you should find another community that will fawn all over you and take your word as gospel.

5) Adios.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:38:37 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 07:45:34 PM »

For somebody who's Vietnam veteran, close to 60 years old, with masters degree and accomplished historian, with 20 plus years in combat sims, you're getting upset awfully quickly over nothing.

If il2 1946 is so superior, why did you come here?

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 08:24:58 PM »

Apparently we didn't suck up to him enough when he came in here to awe us unworthy peasants with his lordly wisdom. God forbid other members of the flight sim community have views on the subject.. Blasphemers prostrate yourself before the almighty Kabayo!
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve