Author Topic: Will the map rotation ever be "right"  (Read 952 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Will the map rotation ever be "right"
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 11:09:48 AM »
Goodness, do I have to spell it out?  :huh The point is that comparing us to employees of HTC is far less accurate than comparing us to shareholders, because it is our money that supports the business.  We all know we are customers of the business, and it is on that merit that we ask for things.  So why did OOZ662 try to explain our relationship to HTC in terms of employer/employee?

I don't think that asking for a reasonable map rotation is too much to ask.
A classic example of slanting and ad hominem.

Asking for a certain type of map rotation I guess would be ok, but I think it should be under the wish list forum. The problem with this post is that it is asked for every couple of days, kinda little that whiny kid in the back seat say "are we there yet?". It doesn't make the trip any quicker, and all it does do is annoy the crap out of people.

Maybe there are reasons why they can't, or won't change the map rotation. Call them up and ask. TO me the map is just a place to play. They all have ground down low, and sky above, thats all I need to fly my planes.

You are not like an employee, nor are you like a shareholder. You are a customer, and your only recourse is to enjoy what you have purchased, or move on to your next toy. It may not be perfect, but I enjoy what I get for my $14.95 a month (I get the same discount as you do K  :D)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 11:11:24 AM by The Fugitive »

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 11:19:17 AM »
It may not be perfect, but I enjoy what I get for my $14.95 a month (I get the same discount as you do K  :D)

Absolutely.

I have seen majissue make these posts before, and I think he believes that if we all ask for it enough HTC will do it.  That's why he repeats the same thing again and again.  But based on their past track record, it seems unlikely that anything will come of it.  HTC tends to focus on what HTC wants to do; we pay $ for the fruits of their labor because we like it.  That said, let's just leave him be if he wants to keep asking for it.  It doesn't hurt anything, and it makes us look like a bunch of brown-nosers if we go into instant attack mode when someone (who knows what they're talking about) criticizes the game or how it's administered.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 11:22:44 AM »
Nothing has ever encapsulated your myopia quite like this comment above.  You're not responding to the main issue because it is airtight: a paying customer is within his rights to request reasonable things of a business.  The most twisted thing to watch at this bbs is how the other customers try to deride and criticize this right to their own detriment, with law-like frequency.  No one ever said HTC must comply, but it is ok for customers to make reasonable requests, especially when they are in your interest and mine.

I mean, it's not like he asked for a B-29! :rofl

My intellect is just fine.   You chose to provided an incorrect figure with which you "rounded" up.   I'm not talking "the last round up" either.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 11:43:12 AM »
Absolutely.

I have seen majissue make these posts before, and I think he believes that if we all ask for it enough HTC will do it.  That's why he repeats the same thing again and again.  But based on their past track record, it seems unlikely that anything will come of it.  HTC tends to focus on what HTC wants to do; we pay $ for the fruits of their labor because we like it.  That said, let's just leave him be if he wants to keep asking for it.  It doesn't hurt anything, and it makes us look like a bunch of brown-nosers if we go into instant attack mode when someone (who knows what they're talking about) criticizes the game or how it's administered.

I wouldn't go so far is to say he knows what he is talking about. He basing the whole idea on "what he wants" not on facts. Does he understand the coding for setting up a script that would make this work WITH HTC's script (which he guards jealously )? I don't think so, its just the same "are we there yet" whine.

Posting on the board the same thing week after week isn't getting him anywhere. Maybe he should give HTC a call and ask. At least he'll get some kind of an answer.... even if it is someone hanging up the phone  :D

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 12:01:33 PM »
I wouldn't go so far is to say he knows what he is talking about.

I'm just assuming that since he's been here for a year, he has made a good number of observations of the map rotations.  I played for 6 months before I ever saw the pizza map in the LWMA.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 12:09:52 PM »
No one ever said HTC must comply, but it is ok for customers to make reasonable requests, especially when they are in your interest and mine.

Indeed, it is perfectly fine to request changes to the game or plane set, but not here. There's a specific forum for requests and using it means much less of a flame fest.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 12:13:22 PM »
Goodness, do I have to spell it out?  :huh The point is that comparing us to employees of HTC is far less accurate than comparing us to shareholders, because it is our money that supports the business.  We all know we are customers of the business, and it is on that merit that we ask for things.  So why did OOZ662 try to explain our relationship to HTC in terms of employer/employee?

OOZ662 was trying to paint the scenario ... If MajIssue walked up to HT at a con and said ... "It is so simple but for HTC so seemingky impossible to fathom...".

How do you think HT would handle that ? Would he say ... "Oh, thanks for pointing out something so "seemingkly impossible to fathom" ... I'm not very bright and I need whiny people to point things out to me ... thanks so much".

The view point was not company owner to employee ... but rather company owner to consumer.

I'll bet there are things you don't like about Windows ... when was the last time you or anybody on this BBS approached Bill Gates and told him how Windows really needs to be done.

We pay for a service ... not seats on the board, not shareholder voting rights ... you don't like the product, then go somewhere else ... that's how consumers vote.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 12:29:06 PM »

the point is, that no matter WHAT htc does, there's going to end up being 3 or mor pages of complaints.

if you were running the company, with that knowledge, would you be compelled to change?

we/you all can have the same fun on any map put up.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 01:37:39 PM »
Frankly, MajIssue has the right idea. A well thought out, logical post with flawless grammar would likely get a few polite responses and then fall to the bottom of the page, and into forum oblivion. By making his post flammable, he's getting all of you (and me) to respond and keep it at the top of the page where someone from HTC is most likely to see it.

As for well written requests being taken more seriously by HTC, that is a straight up load. I've seen some very well written, logical, reasonable, thorough posts by people like Kweassa be ignored time and again. A few OMFGZ WIRBELWIND 4X20MM PLZ HTC! posts in the Wishlist forum six or so months ago and we get a new vehicle. Just from empirical observation, grammar means nothing when trying to get your voice heard to the makers of this game.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »

We pay for a service ... not seats on the board, not shareholder voting rights ... you don't like the product, then go somewhere else ... that's how consumers vote.

Yup, but actually AH is in a unique market position that gives HiTech a lot of room to "fudge" the importance of customer satisfaction's influence on design and gameplay changes. There is no real contender for this genre right now. AH is really the only product like this that's worth a damn available to us currently, so has practically a 100% market share. So, instead of customers being able to just migrate with their money to a reasonable facsimile of AH if dissatisfied, we have only a choice to suffer with whatever we have in AH or quit the genre altogether. There's really is no market force to balance this out for the AH customer at this time.

It's not like laundry detergent. If I don't like Tide I can just stop buying Tide and buy Cheer instead, if everyone did that Tide would soon be out of business. However, if Tide were the only detergent there was, we'd either have to stop washing our clothes altogether or keep giving Tide our money. The makers of Tide would probably assume their product was flawless and in no need of change. But really people just wanted to wash their clothes and had no other choice but to buy Tide. Tide would soon learn of their HUGELY erroneous misconception, based on the monopolistic nature of the market conditions, if another detergent suddenly became available.

This makes HTC much more prone to saying something dangerous like, "Well I had X number of subscribers last year and I have X+500 this year, therefore my game design must be perfect in every way with no room for improvement...Anyone who thinks it's not perfect in one respect or another or could be improved in some way(s) must just be a whiner" (I am not saying he necessarily thinks like this at all). It doesn't take into account other possibilities.

For example, had the game design been improved in certain ways, instead of X+500 this year we might have had X+3000, because those dissatisfied may not have left the genre and we may have retained many more that tried it but did not like it enough to subscribe. Or, had gameplay been improved  so that instead of attracting and retaining predominantly Y type of players we may have attracted or retained Z type of players. The Z types in turn would've helped improve gameplay further by virtue of their proclivities toward certain gameplay enhancing behaviors thereby attracting even more players of the same persuasion in snowball fashion.

So, given that HTC currently has a virtual monopoly right now, market forces that would normally apply in a competitive market to influence design and gameplay changes do not exist. We are at the mercy of the benevolent wisdom of HTC. AH customers currently have no recourse to appeal for gameplay changes, short of quitting the genre altogether, other than suggestions and comments on his forums. HTC in turn finds itself afforded the rare luxury of the viable option of ignoring those appeals entirely or even deny there's any problems at all with very little risk of any significant negative impact on their bottom line in the short-term. The danger of this laissez-faire approach is that it is incredibly unlikely the AH customer will be left without another palatable option indefinitely as the internet generation ages and obtains disposable income for game subscriptions and hardware. As that happens, some opportunistic company will see this niche market as lucrative enough to put in a serious bid for a market share just like HTC itself did years ago.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 03:50:29 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 06:22:40 PM »
well, personally, i liked how it used 2 b.... 1 arena.... 1 map.... not a GIANT map like those dumb ones they got now... and FIGHTER TOWN!

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 12:01:14 AM »
Just as a "by the way," I never mentioned employees either. I was mentioning owner-customer relations.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 10:05:35 AM »
yep in the last month there have been at least a dozen complains by this individual

I beg to differ evenhaim... I have complained about this issue in the past, true. but I haven't complained about this issue in more than a month, because it was seemingly fixed. Last Wednesday the Titanic Tuesday map was not reset after the big event. Friday and Saturday there were two small maps in the LW MAs. Those two events are what prompted me to start this thread.

I have posted suggestions/complaints/wishes/rants about this in the past and will continue to do so.

What is interesting is that you choose to point out that
..."in the last month there have been at least a dozen complains by this individual"

instead of commenting (either pro or con) on the substance of the post. What is wrong with attempting to make AH better by providing feedback about problems as they are perceived by users of the product? I you look at the posts I've made you will notice that I have ALSO praised HTC and given them kudos for various things that have been done to improve that game.
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 02:43:49 PM »

It is so simple but for HTC so seemingky impossible to fathom...

By Anaxogoras:
You're not responding to the main issue because it is airtight: a paying customer is within his rights to request reasonable things of a business

Anaxogoras : please tell me how you consider anything in my quoted statement of MajIssue "reasonable" , they are down right insulting. And that is why people jump in to make there statements. HTC constantly changes the game based on "Reasonable" and good idea.

It is the Unreasonable that you see people taking heat for. Just like yours is a completely unreasonable idea the MajIssue is being reasonable.

Anaxogoras: Do you think that it sociably acceptable to keep asking for the same thing in a public forum  (as a child would) when you do not get what you want?

Also if you believe the squeaky wheel gets the grease you are incorrect. It gets my attention, and I most often choose make make the wheel stop squeaking and hurting everyone's ride.

HiTech

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 02:52:59 PM by hitech »

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 03:21:34 PM »

Also if you believe the squeaky wheel gets the grease you are incorrect. It gets my attention, and I most often choose make make the wheel stop squeaking and hurting everyone's ride.

HiTech

Wooooot
See Rule #4