Author Topic: closing of bases  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
closing of bases
« on: March 20, 2000, 09:19:00 PM »
a lot of people want to be able to close bases but i have never seen any one say how long they want them closed?
so if you could close the bases how long would you want them closed for?

Trell

Offline SC-GreyBeard

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/oneshot/main.htm
closing of bases
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2000, 09:53:00 PM »
seems it would depend on how many launch points for planes there are, how much damage is done to them, and how long HT & Co. decide it would take to bring em back up..

------------------
GreyBeard
Flight Commander, Aces High
"Skeleton Crew"
"Fly with Honor"[/i]

Hans

closing of bases
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2000, 02:43:00 AM »
How long?

Thats easy.  Same rebuild time as the rest of the base structures.  Bombing of a country's rear area factorys and citys will lengthen the rebuild times.

Hans.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
closing of bases
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2000, 07:32:00 AM »
10 minutes. Otherwise, watch the lone bomber shut a country down from the stratosphere by bombing the regen points. Why bother with the ack first if you can kill the spawn points and bring in a B26/C47 combo at your leisure afterwards? With a 10 minute closure, a single fighter might hold out if it is in the air before the shutdown and the attack was light. The lone fighter would be helpless against a mass attack, as it should be.

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
closing of bases
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2000, 07:46:00 AM »
I'm not as worried about the time factor more of the amount of targets it takes to close a base.

I think it should take 3 to 4 bombers within a short period of time to close a base.

It should take killing everything at a base to close it.

If base closings were possible it would take a disorganized country longer(if ever)to win a war.

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals

"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
closing of bases
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2000, 07:47:00 AM »
 Why don't you all wait and see what they have up thier sleeve with the next release?
 Some major changes coming. New map, vehicles and apparantly a different spawn scheme just to mention a few of the changes.

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 03-21-2000).]

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
closing of bases
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2000, 11:10:00 AM »
Having not played much in the way of online flight sims previous, out of curiosity, what happens if a team's last two bases are closed?

------------------
Fatty
FAT DRUNK BASTARDS

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
closing of bases
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2000, 11:52:00 AM »
Fatty those bases don't usually stay closed for very long (somewhere 5-8 minutes).

If you close the last two bases of a country's, they couldn't launch until a base would open.

But then again most likely a capture would occur shortly, and the map reset. So it would actually be beneficial to the team down to two bases.

Plus there is no incentive to keep an enemies last two bases closed, other than for capture, because its boring for the side thats winning. Pilots are much more likely to keep the ack down and vulch the last two bases.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Desperately trying to figure out why Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets"

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
closing of bases
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2000, 12:07:00 PM »

Plus there is no incentive to keep an enemies last two bases closed, other than for capture, because its boring for the side thats winning. Pilots are much more likely to keep the ack down and vulch the last two bases.

If a team was on a roll, what's to prevent them closing down one team while they go after the second?  I'm not against base closures or anything, just seems in a situation like that where now we have screams of gangbanging, this will be much worse.

------------------
Fatty
FAT DRUNK BASTARDS

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
closing of bases
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2000, 12:53:00 PM »
Because it is very hard to keep a base closed, and usually takes quite a few people sitting over it with ordinance to keep it shut down. Typically just about the time you get everything down and get the base closed, some structure will respawn and the base opens.

Trust me, its harder than it sounds, especially if you are trying to keep two bases closed simultaneously.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Desperately trying to figure out why Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets"

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
closing of bases
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2000, 01:39:00 PM »
But at that point, you don't need to be hitting anything except the two spawn points.  1 B17 could then keep a base down 3 hours (12x500lb, 1 500lb each target each 1/2 hour), with a small window for takeoff when the base opens up.  Speaking of that small window, if there is a point where you cannot take off for a team, are any of them going to stick around (and remain on that team)?  How many of a team will have even be around for that small window, only to be isolated when the base is shut down again?

You're probably right that it's unlikely to happen very much, but seeing it's possible, I think it is likely to happen at some point.

Oh yeah, they wore helmets so there would be more shrapnel in the explosion.

------------------
Fatty
FAT DRUNK BASTARDS