Author Topic: Enemy Icons.  (Read 546 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Enemy Icons.
« on: August 05, 2008, 09:57:26 AM »
I was flying without enemy icons today and I had a blast, it really improves the realism side of the game. :aok

If you want gents, try doing the same for a few sorties and let me know what you think. (Alt+I)

Would not showing enemy icons be a good idea to implement through out the game ?

<S>, Kazaa.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:02:30 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Enemy Icons.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:03:07 AM »
Enemy icons serve their purpose.  Because of the limitations of computer graphics, not to mention the limitations of my experience to indentify WWII planes, having an icon to tell me what plane I'm about to engage is a good thing.  Turning them off altogether would, in my opinion, be a bad thing.  It might be nice, however, to shorten the distance of when the icon shows up.  Perhaps waiting until 3-4k instead of 6k would help with the "realism" somewhat.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
Would not showing enemy icons be a good idea to implement through out the game ?

<S>, Kazaa.

No. I'm not looking forward to simulate being a legally blind WWII fighter pilot with my small screen.

Give me a screen resolution comparable to real life and we can talk again about it ;)

It might be nice, however, to shorten the distance of when the icon shows up.  Perhaps waiting until 3-4k instead of 6k would help with the "realism" somewhat.

They do it in AvA and that's one of the main reasons I can't fly there.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 10:13:14 AM »
They do it in AvA and that's one of the main reasons I can't fly there.

I've flown AvA once or twice, and kind of like the shortened icon range.  At least in AvA you still see the dot-dar and can tell where you should fly to find an enemy con.  I'm not sure why you think you can't fly without a 6k icon range...no biggie though.

Where you been anyway?  Haven't seen you in EW lately...
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
Maybe down to 3 or 4k, 6k is a bit much
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 10:21:49 AM »
Only works where each team has a certain plane set..... such as allied against axis.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Kitt18

• Zinc Member
      • 337th Black Sheep TFS
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 10:32:07 AM »
3 or 4k I think would make the fights more intense (better). giving each pilot shorter time to assess the situation and react, setup merge etc.. would be a good thing.

How about a .5k icon on GVs.  :lol

337th Black Sheep TFS

"Kitt, you got 2 Spits and a high Hurri on you. Let me know if u get in trouble"...sprkplg

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 10:39:42 AM »
Only works where each team has a certain plane set..... such as allied against axis.

Not quite, Kazaa said he turned off enemy's icons only, greens still had icons (like in GVs game). Who want no enemy icons can do it right now, no further changes needed.

Anyway, short icons sucks, no icons sucks ever more and short/no icons in almost empty arena is fubar. Flying for hours w/o single enemy in sight isnt kind of game i looking for.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 10:43:12 AM »
I've flown AvA once or twice, and kind of like the shortened icon range.  At least in AvA you still see the dot-dar and can tell where you should fly to find an enemy con.  I'm not sure why you think you can't fly without a 6k icon range...no biggie though.

Because I cant see.

Unlike real life, I can't see on my screen if im getting closer to an enemy con unless I see the icon's cange information.

In AvA, planes are suddenly THERE! on my screen. In my last short visit there, I was desperatelöy looking for that dot on dar that was supposed to be close to me. I missed him several times unless I accidentally came across him at 2.5k - I wasn't able to see him before.

Also keep in mind it's not only about screen size and resolution. Our screens are flat surfaces, not real capable of relay spatial information. The icon and range informations on them are a crutch for the missing stereoscopic vision too.

Where you been anyway?  Haven't seen you in EW lately...

The constant dogpiling on the country with least, or better yet: no defenders at all gets tiring after some time. Haven't been there since tour 100.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:48:38 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 11:02:18 AM »
I like the short icon range in the AVA and SEA events, things get interesting when theres no dot or bar dar.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 11:45:13 AM »
Because I cant see.

Unlike real life, I can't see on my screen if im getting closer to an enemy con unless I see the icon's cange information.

In AvA, planes are suddenly THERE! on my screen. In my last short visit there, I was desperatelöy looking for that dot on dar that was supposed to be close to me. I missed him several times unless I accidentally came across him at 2.5k - I wasn't able to see him before.

Lusche,
Is this a physical ailment, a lag issue, or do we need to pool our resources and get you a nice 24" monitor or something?
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 11:49:23 AM »
Think about it.  If your enemy sees you clearly and early, you'll get a better fight out of him, because he will have time to think and react better.  You too will see him clearly and both of you will have to be smart about your ACM.  If one or the other of you doesn't see well, or at all, you've go a baby seal opportunity.  Whoop-T-Doo!
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 11:59:26 AM »
I flew with icons off once and got killshot in a furball. It would be one thing if it was Allied plane vs axis plane all the time, but you'll find friendlies in per say, 190, P51, F6F, and an axis in C205, 109, and F4U. How could you possibly tell the difference.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 12:46:26 PM »
I flew with icons off once and got killshot in a furball. It would be one thing if it was Allied plane vs axis plane all the time, but you'll find friendlies in per say, 190, P51, F6F, and an axis in C205, 109, and F4U. How could you possibly tell the difference.

I'm just talking about Enemy Icons only off here, you can still see Friendly.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."