Author Topic: What happens next?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Mak333

• Nickel Member
What happens next?
« on: August 08, 2008, 04:40:37 PM »
I am knowledgeable in the generics of computers, mainly hardware.  However, I know little about game engines and how they are integrated/work.  Being a member for a lengthy amount of time, it seems that not much as changed since AH1 back in 2002.  Slightly different physics and gun model?  Newer textures, base layouts, and arenas.  However, graphics and overall gameplay appears to be the same since 2002/2003, and most likely even since AH1 launched. 

With new game engines arising and much more advanced games coming out that support new features, is Aces High due for a revamp?  I mean, I can't compare it to games like Crysis, IL2, and other newer flight sims or first person shooters, but should we be seeing a new engine in the near future?  I understand that massive multiplayer online games are much different than those that only allow 32 players, but coming up on a decade of the same engine and graphics.... well, that's a long time without much change. 

Is today's technology able to handle a newer game engine while still allowing 750 per arena?
Is HiTech Creations in a position to rework the game?
Still haven't heard much about the new gametype that is based around missions only, but is that still in the works and what kind of outlook do we really have on it?
Mak

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Re: What happens next?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 04:47:38 PM »
Prepare for:

you cant update AHs graphics, all the people with pre 2000 PCs who play will suffer, you cant expact gamers to upgrade their equiptment to keep up with technology, thats crazy.

Your a lame player because you want eye candy, you suck because you should play for the tactics involved, not the graphics, go away quake boy.

lets see.. there are a few more that you will hear, cant think of them right now..

might wanna [asbestos]

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 05:14:27 PM »
what other sim games do you know that you can use three monitors YAY cant wait
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 05:19:22 PM »
Fully immersive virtual reality 3 D environment with an integrated user interface and two-way sensory feedback system. Think Lawnmower man...That's where everything is heading. It's already finished R&D it's just not refined enough yet for affordable retail distribution and applications. Give it another 5 to 8 years.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 05:29:42 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 05:31:13 PM »
As wingnutt mentioned, right now its because some players have older computers and are not interested in a massive upgrade simply to play this game. I also think a split game engine isn't feasible. For example, low-end users download and install the current version of AHII, high-end users download and install the new version of AHII using an advanced game-engine for better graphics, sound, etc... Yet both the low-end and high-end users play in the same arena.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 07:20:27 PM »
On this point Den, I would have to disagree.  I bought my my mother an of the shelf Dell 6 months ago with no graphics card and nothing fancy for 750.00 and it runs AH well enought to be very competitive.  I think the only people who are using old comps to play this game are the people that have been here for a few years.  I know for a fact that Wonder, and others in our squad, had a POS system on dial-up for many years and some still are, and are able to do better than a lot of us with newer systems.  It really comes down to skill as the game does not really require much.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline TheMan

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 07:31:11 PM »
Prepare for:

you cant update AHs graphics, all the people with pre 2000 PCs who play will suffer, you cant expact gamers to upgrade their equiptment to keep up with technology, thats crazy.

Your a lame player because you want eye candy, you suck because you should play for the tactics involved, not the graphics, go away quake boy.

lets see.. there are a few more that you will hear, cant think of them right now..

might wanna [asbestos]
Most perople in this game run very good computers. I myself am running a 2gig AMD athlon , with a integrated video card. I dont have the best but i dont have the absolte worst. My frames run around 30s 40s and 20s in smokey areas. Compare that to most aces high computers that people use its a piece of garbage. most people have a 512 MB vid card , which is great , 2 gigs of memory which is all game recognizes , and finally most now adays run a dual cor. Thats the average joe. Now , the nerds. A nerd has about a 2k computer. Dual cor processor , 2 gig graphic card and 4 gigs of memory. That system would be able to handle anything really. And I even no some guys that have the best PC on the market. 1 quad cor , with 16 Gigs of ram and 2GB graphic card. His frames run about 120 steady , with Vsink on. If he turned it off itd be in the 400 to 500s. That kind of a comp could handle anything and still be way way way top of the line.

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 09:27:43 PM »
Hopefully they will  get rid of high ploss 56k users before anything else
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 09:32:32 PM »
Most perople in this game run very good computers. I myself am running a 2gig AMD athlon , with a integrated video card. I dont have the best but i dont have the absolte worst. My frames run around 30s 40s and 20s in smokey areas. Compare that to most aces high computers that people use its a piece of garbage. most people have a 512 MB vid card , which is great , 2 gigs of memory which is all game recognizes , and finally most now adays run a dual cor. Thats the average joe. Now , the nerds. A nerd has about a 2k computer. Dual cor processor , 2 gig graphic card and 4 gigs of memory. That system would be able to handle anything really. And I even no some guys that have the best PC on the market. 1 quad cor , with 16 Gigs of ram and 2GB graphic card. His frames run about 120 steady , with Vsink on. If he turned it off itd be in the 400 to 500s. That kind of a comp could handle anything and still be way way way top of the line.
You're far overestimating this. There are many people who play on ancient machines. I've got a guy in my squad that plays on dial up.

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 09:38:13 PM »
There are many people who play on ancient machines. I've got a guy in my squad that plays on dial up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLH_QyPTYM
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 09:49:39 PM »
Prepare for:

might wanna [asbestos]

Doesn't cost much to enter the 21st century... These people don't have any problems shelling out 700 on ch products, for 700 u could build a pc which would blow AH out of the water.

Yeah, people stuck in 10 years ago land tend to suffer seeing as time and technology moves forward and not backwards.. thank fk for that though..

I'm glad they're finally adding proper 16:10 support. It's been killing me.

Offline Mak333

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 10:33:15 PM »
Prepare for:

might wanna [asbestos]

Pre 2000 PCs?  Are you kidding me?  Professionals say that every family household should upgrade every 4-5 years.  And now, it's becoming even sooner than that.  That 4-5 year figure was years ago in the late 90s and early 2000s.  I'm surprised people are still operating on 8+ year old machines with today's average file sizes and processor requirements.  If they have 15 dollars a month to play an online video game, they should be able to upgrade their PC from 8+ years ago....  I'm not asking for just eye candy, I'm asking for an updated engine that somewhat competes with other games out there.  Keeping in mind this is still a massive multiplayer game, it should be feasible.  The Aces High community is not what it used to be even 3 years ago.  I have seen more and more 2 weekers than ever before.  What does this mean?  People are using up the trial and abandoning the game.  Why?  I can't tell ya their specific reasons, but I will tell you that an updated engine would help the situation.

I can't even remember when Hitech Creations first said they were developing this new gametype with mission-based sorties.  Was it more than 3 years ago?  That's a long time to just be developing a new game type.  I'm not saying that the company should have something in the works already, but it would be nice to know what the plans are for the next couple years.  If they haven't even hit the planning stages, then it could be another 4-5 years before anything "new" comes out.  And I'm not talking about updates.
Mak

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 10:40:55 PM »
Lets see.. bring AH to the bleeding edge of PC tech in an already small market.
Or a more than expectable graphics with a top notch flight model that requires average pc power to run.

Yea I'm sure this is a hard decision for HT to make. :rolleyes:

See Rule #4

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 10:48:29 PM »
Yes, high speed internet is the bleeding edge of computing  :rofl