Author Topic: AH vs real WW2  (Read 1853 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
AH vs real WW2
« on: August 09, 2008, 12:26:30 PM »
Obviously the idea behind this game is to allow us to think we would be a top ace in WW2, however how do you think some of the top sticks here in AH would have done in real aircraft in WW2?

When I say top sticks I don't mean score tards on the front page, I mean the guys that are actually good and know what they are doing. Granted there is no way this game or any game can really recreate the actual flying characteristics of a real fighter but with the thousands of hours some have logged over the years, that would have to help quite a bit.

When you figure most pilots at the end of the war were under trained and lacked experience, especially those on the Axis side. It just makes me wonder how close the skill sets of some of the top sticks here in AH, would compare to real WW2 sticks. This is ofcourse assuming they went through the same training as the WW2 pilots did.

"strafing"

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: AH vs real WW2
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 12:30:19 PM »
Well, in RL, stick ROCKY in his P-38, he woulda pwnd so many germans/japs!  :rock

And Bipolar lol... stick em in like any aircraft, he would pwn the germans/japs :rock

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 12:30:48 PM »
Two completly different things.  Flying an airplane under those circumstances cannot be compared to what we do here.  And on top of that, throw in all the factors of g forces and that that was for real.  Know many pilots who can't fly sims and many sim guys who couldn't be pilots.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 12:32:08 PM »
Two completly different things.  Flying an airplane under those circumstances cannot be compared to what we do here.  And on top of that, throw in all the factors of g forces and that that was for real.  Know many pilots who can't fly sims and many sim guys who couldn't be pilots.

accually, you would b supprised how many ppl that fly in AH are real pilots that accually fly aircraft

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 12:33:52 PM »
Not to offend anyone, but they would fly just like any young kid out of flight school, ah doesn't require you to learn manual navigation, engine control, plane control, maybe acm wise. But hey stick an ah ace in a 109 at night over germany and see how he fares.  ;)
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Wyld45

• Copper Member
      • AH2 Rough Rider Bugler
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 12:34:54 PM »
Two completly different things.  Flying an airplane under those circumstances cannot be compared to what we do here.  And on top of that, throw in all the factors of g forces and that that was for real.  Know many pilots who can't fly sims and many sim guys who couldn't be pilots.
                   ... Then there are the guys who ARE pilots in this game.
RRWyld45  1138th "Rough Riders" Bomber Wing

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 12:35:53 PM »
                   ... Then there are the guys who ARE pilots in this game.
A cessna can't preform 1/8th of the acms I use. Theres a difference.
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 12:40:19 PM »
I am in complete agreement with avionix.  There are many factors to be had in real life we don't have to deal with in AH.  Just in the plane itself, how many here could manage the engine properly, know what all the buttons and switches in the craft they fly do, and know the limits on the aircraft according to the manual?  There are more, but getting outside of the aircraft itself, just looking around would be hard.  Looking around flying straight and level, that's easy enough, but try pulling hard Gs and getting your head pushed back into the seat, now try looking around.  

Then there is the air itself, in the real world you have to deal with wind, turbulence, temperature of the air, prop wash from other aircraft, the list goes on.  

Of course, there is a mental problem here too.  In the real world, you actually die, and that can get to people, and act differently under that pressure.  Also, in AH good sticks are very aggressive, and if they make a mistake, so what?  You don't really die.  Real world doesn't work like that,  I'm not sure how many people would want to try and ride that stall or try and see if they have just enough E to drag the baddie vert and make him stall before they do, based on their AH experience.

There are many more factors that would cause all of our elite aces to quickly falter in the real deal.  

inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 12:40:58 PM »
Much would depend also on their eye sight, physical condition fear of death and ability to keep what they've eaten in their bellies :)

I think the younger, good physics guys with a more sensible/timid style might do well. Then again, they may be serving in some air force already.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:43:34 PM by BlauK »

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »
Much would depend also on their eye sight, physical condition fear of death and ability to keep what they've eaten in their bellies :)
lutfisk :rofl
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 12:54:38 PM »
I agree with Mensa on this. There are too many factors in real life that we don't deal with here.
Engine management,proper pitch settings and the like. I have been in several real aircraft doing some of the ACM we attempt here and it is definitely a different animal. Some of us here would not like flying after a wicked stall spin.
Then there is the reason some new pilots in WWII didn't even survive taking off on their first combat mission.
A pony with it's aux tank full could easily swap ends if the pilot wasn't careful. An F4u could drop its left wing on takeoff without much warning. Hence the nickname "Ensign Eliminator"
Some of us would probably do ok,but it would be a sobering experience.

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 12:57:13 PM »
accually, you would b supprised how many ppl that fly in AH are real pilots that accually fly aircraft

-BigBOBCH

Yea, but whom of them were flying combat missions that could actually chime in on this post?
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 01:05:31 PM »
assuming they went through the same training as any other first time pilot in ww2, they might stand a better chance of surviving more than a month than others...then again, they might kill themselves trying to do something fancy.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 01:06:11 PM »
I suspect that in WWII most of the guys that 'pwn' in AHII would be pencil pushing ensigns/lieutenants in the 'rear area' after abysmal failure in pilot training.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 01:09:04 PM »
assuming they went through the same training as any other first time pilot in ww2, they might stand a better chance of surviving more than a month than others...then again, they might kill themselves trying to do something fancy.
i agree with him
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato